Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mathias Williams, Royal Engineers

Trebrys

Guest peterjones1962
Found names of village men who died in Great War (gleaned from gravestones of parents or from families by local amateur historian).

Jacob Banham, fell in France 1918

Captain Henry William Hughes (48)- sinking of SS Cymrian, Aug 25th 1917

John Moses Hughes (18) - France, Aug 14th 1918

William Hugh Hughes (25) - Mesopotamia, Feb 9th 1917

Evan Wellwood Jones (24) - Royal Welsh Fusiliers, died London, 12th Jan 1917

John Stephen Jones (22) - R.G.A, Ypres, Jul 17th 1917

Robert Owen Jones (23) - France, end 1917 or beg. 1918

William Caradog Jones (27) - Ypres, Nov 9th, 1917. Buried in St.Geans Farm

John Rowlands (19) - SS Cymrian (my mother's 1st cousin)

William Henry Thomas (21) - France, buried Apr 10th 1918 in Croix de Bac (Nord)

William Watkinson (32) - Somme, March 1918

Augustus Henry Wheeler - Dardanelles, Sept 1915. An officer and quarry manager from 1901 until his death.

All with a story to tell...

William Watkinson was my Grandmother's father. Died in the March offensive of 1918. With the Lancashire Fusiliers - but (irony of ironies) defending a quarry...

• 4 years later...

Hi Dave,

"Unfortunately, there is only one War Diary at the National Archives, for 348 Company."

I've just started looking at my great-grandfather's sketchy war record. He joined 348 Quarry Company from Company 327, the Curragh, Ireland. I know he had some military training at Aldershot because he was confined to barracks for a day for "appearing on parade with dirty equipment". Somebody mentioned elsewhere that 348 didn't work at Marquise. Does anybody know where they worked? He was abroad with the BEF from 25 Oct 1917 - 24 July 1918.I'm trying to get a feel for what his experience might have been.

This is such a great forum. I'm learning so much.

Danielgeorge

• 1 month later...

Daniel,

I'm not at home currently, so can't get to my notes about 348. However, most of the unit were repairing roads, as I recall, although some did quarrying, I believe. When I get back to the UK, I'll dig the info out & post it when I have the chance.

Who was your great-grandfather, for interest?

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 months later...

For the attention of Brenda Ellen of Denbigh. Sorry I'm unfamiliar with forums, and I note that this forum hasn't been active recently, but I believe she is referring to Matheias Williams aka Thei Canwr (singer) who was my mum's uncle. I remember meeting him although he was getting on and had a bad cough. This was around 1960/63 if memory serves right. I also saw a pic of him with a silver prize cup for singing. If Brenda would like more info I'll happily share what I can recall. O.J.Davies

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Is anyone still compiling a database of the quarry companies? If so I have 2 entries for the 326th. My great grandfather Albert Proctor service number 262193 WR 29501 born Idle West Yorkshire a quarryman/ platelayer by trade enlisted Jun 1916 aged 40. He was called up 19 Jan 1917 went to no2 brigade RFA transferred to RE Buxton feb 1917.

22 May 1917 embarked with the BEF joining 326th. Whilst in service was awarded Skilled, Superior and VSuperior quarryman.

There are war diaries in the RE museum but Sod's law they end 23May 17.

The photo of a company outside a hotel in Dumfries I an sure Albert is at the back far right with the 'tash

Anyone any idea what happened to the 326th??

I have a little slither.....

On the war memorial in Gildersome, Leeds is a Horace Samuel Crowther WR 29380 326th quarry died 3 July 1918. I wonder if this backs up the "caught up in the German offensive" or was it a non related

Any info would be great to finish off Alberts war career.

• 9 months later...
Guest empiricalem

Thanks, Dave and Terry. Keep it coming!An interesting story : some men from the village were actually led by a 'local man', but in this case a very unpopular quarry official (manager?) who was not Welsh-speaking. He was wounded in Gallipoli while leading his men - shot, so rumour has it, in the BACK. I wonder just how often this happened?!!

Hello Brenda,

My father, grandfather and great-grandfather all worked as setts men in the quarries of Trevor and Nant Gwrtheyrn, and, as I have only started to research the involvement of the quarrying companies in WW1 I would be interested in hearing more about this particular company, which was lead by Major Augustus H Wheeler, and the cause of his unpopularity as a quarry manager. Kind regards, Emlyn

• 5 months later...
Guest Charlietrefor

I have some photos of Mathias Williams from Trefor if anyone is interested. Not shore when he was born , but I imagine he would have been born towards the end of 1800.

• 5 years later...

I have some photos of Mathias Williams from Trefor if anyone is interested. Not shore when he was born , but I imagine he would have been born towards the end of 1800.

Hi

I'd certainly be interested as he was my Grandfather. Hope I'm not too late contacting you - only saw your comment today!

For the attention of Brenda Ellen of Denbigh. Sorry I'm unfamiliar with forums, and I note that this forum hasn't been active recently, but I believe she is referring to Matheias Williams aka Thei Canwr (singer) who was my mum's uncle. I remember meeting him although he was getting on and had a bad cough. This was around 1960/63 if memory serves right. I also saw a pic of him with a silver prize cup for singing. If Brenda would like more info I'll happily share what I can recall. O.J.Davies

• sorry, only found this now, so hope I'm not too late replying. I'd certainly like more info about my Grandfather.