Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recognise this?

stoj22

Nice try, but sorry not a French film.

As the topic seems to need to move on, I will reveal that it is the 1992 movie Hedd Wyn. Dialogue mostly in Welsh, but I've seen an edition with English subtitles for those who can't manage the Language of Heaven!

A film about the poet Ellis H. Evans of Trawsfynydd who was called up to the 15th Royal Welsh Fusiliers Feb 1917 and died in the attack on Pilkem Ridge 31 July 1917. Ironically, five weeks later he won Wales' most prestigious poetry prize at the National Eisteddfod in Birkenhead with his poem "The Hero". I suppose it's an anti-war film at heart. Got a nomination for Best Foreign Language Film at the 1994 Oscars. Most of its 2-hour running time is set during the War period.

Battle scenes filmed at Templeton Airfield in Pembrokeshire which was suitable ploughed-up for the occasion!

LST_164

• 1 year later...

Saw this quite good film yesterday, and remembered this little thread we had here. Now, lets see if the film is known here among others.

post-1862-0-82879500-1327262959.jpg

re the flying film. is it ' The Red Baron' ?

re the flying film. is it ' The Red Baron' ?

Yip, I know it as Von Richtofen and Brown but I think it has been released as The Red Baron in some countries.