Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.S. Archangel

Rory Reynolds

Hi all

I am trying to find out more about a chap who was repatriated from Rennbahn, Munster. He arrived at Hull on or about 22 November 1918 aboard the S.S. Archangel.

According to the family he was repatriated via Russia.

Did the Archangel serve on that route? and is there a way to determine where she was during the month of November 1918?

All help appreciated.

Regards

Rory

Hi Rory

The ARCHANGEL (Official No.123940) was a 2,448-ton passenger ship built by J. Brown & Co., Ltd., Clydebank, Glasgow in 1910 and launched as the ST. PETERSBURG for Great Eastern Railway Co., Harwich. She was powered by two steam turbines that gave 20-knots.

In 1915 she was renamed ARCHANGEL and used to carry troops between the UK and Russia

In 1923 she was registered to London & North Eastern Railway, Harwich

The ship was bombed on 16 May 1941, in position 57 55'N 02 03'W, and beached off Black Dog, 5 miles south of Newburgh, while voyaging from Kirkwall to Aberdeen, with troops & equipment. She was written off as a total loss.

No idea where she was in November 1918 though?

Cheers Ron

I know it is not quite what you are looking for but in the post I have just made the SS Archangel gets a mention (1939). Post is "Wartime Diaries".

Thanks all

This is just what I was after. Also managed to track down a photo.

Nothing on her movements in November 1918 but I suppose these things weren't well documented back then.

Regards

Rory

Here is a photo of the ship

Ron

post-23863-1240600476.jpg

• 9 years later...

Thanks for putting this picture on, I've just found out from the 202 MGC war diary that this is the ship my grandfather sailed to France on in 1917 with his unit.

• 11 months later...

The S. S. Archangel was certainly sailing between Hull and Rotterdam in late 1918 and early 1919. To find out more details I suggest visiting the Guildhall library, London and look through the relevant Lloyds List newspapers.

• 6 months later...
On 22/04/2009 at 19:34, Rory Reynolds said:

Hi all

I am trying to find out more about a chap who was repatriated from Rennbahn, Munster.

In the eleven years since the original post was made, more information has become available, of note (i) the repatriation lists accessible via British Newspaper Archive, and (ii) ICRC records. I don't understand how a person in a camp in Munster would have travelled via Russia though. If he had started his incarceration in Munster, but had latterly been in the East, as part of a working party, it would make sense that they would have boarded a vessel in the Baltic.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can get access to British Newspaper Archive, their lists are pretty good.

ICRC is free, but very annoying. Hopefully there is info for your man in both of these sources
https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search

It may be worth starting a new thread under "Soldiers", if you are prepared to share the name, regiment and service number. These new sources have been a game changer.