Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edwin Hewitt

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I am researching Edwin Hewitt 7th Northamptonshires, died of wounds on 14/3/1916 and buried at Lijjsseenthoek.

My question is what time parameters do Pals think I can apply in assuming the date upon which he was wounded? Ie how long would be the minimum time for him to reach Lijjsseenthoek (I think he was probably wounded near Zillebeke) and how long would a casualty remain at Lijjsseenthoek before being moved on to the next stage in the treatment chain?

The Battalion War Diary refers to a place called Halfway House, near Zillebeke. Can anyone assist me as to where this is?

Simon Bull

Simon,

This probalby doesn't help-but on 30 Sep 1915, several men of the 1/4th were wounded by shellfire close to Zillebeke.

One died 3 days later at Etaples, whereas another died six days later, being buried at Lijssenthoek. Both appear to have been severely wounded, not sure why they would have been sent to different places.

Jim

Shortest time to Lijssenthoek was measured in hours, not days. The role of the CCSs there was not to treat men and get them back to health. It was to patch them up sufficient for evacuation to hospital. In most cases this would have been a day at the outside. I have records of many instances where a wounded man was in a hospital at the coast by the day after he was wounded.