Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beaufort War Hospital, Bristol

The Glenside Hospital Museum (www.glensidemuseum.org.uk) has decided to include in its interests the Beaufort War Hospital, which glenside became in WW1. We have beeen collecting images and photographs, and now have about 120 images of the hospital, mainly from postcards (about 500Mb of Jpegs) There appear to be no local books of war time patients, and the only written records extant locally are some maintenance/storeman records.

We are keen to collect all images of the hospital, and any accounts of life or times in the place. Please email me.

Peter Carpenter

post-6-1081012399.jpg

If this information is already known to you, then I apologise, but

A couple of days ago I bought a 40 page booklet called 'Writing is not much but words are a lot' the diary of Bert Stevens, June 1915 to March 1917; edited by his nephew John Martin and published 2002 by Marden Hill Press, Brickyard House, East Keal, Spilsby, Lincolnshire PE23 4HA.

(Pte. 2047)Bert served with 21st Bttn AIF, and spent the winter of 1916/17 in Beaufort War Hospital, being treated for trench foot. He returned to the front and was kia 21 Sept 17.

There is very more little to add, other than mentions of Sister Davies, Sister Lowe, and Miss Nellie Jenkins of the Hospital, and Miss E Crew of 22 Seymour Rd Stapleton Rd (sic) Bristol. Sister Davies thanks him for his "kind help during the festivities, New Year 1917.

This is a bit vague because I have lost or hopfully misplaced the relivant piece of paper.Yesterday I was at the Bristol Records Office And there looked at a coloection of press cuttings many of which were about Beaufort military hospital ww1.The material was mostly about concert parties asnd the soldiers being taken on trips to places like the Zoo.I AM SURE I have still got the reference number here .Its just a matter of finding it.I thought it was better to send this now rather than look for the reference and then forget.Hope this will help.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

• 10 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in any info I can find about the Beaufort War Hospital. My Great Grandfather was wounded in France and was taken there. I have just found the name of the hospital so I don't know much at all.

Thanks in advance.

Brooke

• 1 year later...

Artist: Spencer, Stanley

(born: 1891 - died 1959)

Enlisted into the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) in 1915

Posted to Beaufort War Hospital same year

See:

"Convoy of Wounded Soldiers Arriving at Beaufort War Hospital Gates"

Painted in 1927

Oil on canvas 213.5 cm. x 185.5 cm.

The Sandham Memorial Chapel, Burghclere [ England ]

This painting was just one of many including much larger panoramic type paintings showing war scenes that the artist painted during the mid to late 1920s for the same chapel.

Reference: Malvern, Sue

"Modern Art, Britain and the Great War: witnessing, testimony, and remembrance."

New Haven and London: Yale University Press for The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art 2004

ISBN: 0 300 10576 2

For Beaufort reproductions see Figures 137 (page 166) 145 (page 171 top in colour).

Chapter 6 generally which focuses on this chapel's paintings.

Hope this helps!

If you every come across anything dealing with shell shock and especially the Canadian Expeditionary Forces (CEF) or Canadians in the BEF and such things as hospital admission discharge books let us know!

John

Toronto

Canada

• 1 year later...

I am also interested in the beaufort Hospital in Bristol. My Great Grandfather was the Surgeon there. He did an operation on the Heart of a Canadian Soldier and I am desperately trying trying to find out about it. The Museum has a digital copy of the Miss Williams Autograph Book. In it is the entries of many patients. I found one from a NZ soldier and tracked down his family in NZ and passed it onto them. The original Autograph books are in Aussie.

If anyone knows how I can trace the Canadian Soldier that my Grandfather operated on, please let me know.

Where are all the photo's you speak of availabel to view on line of the Hospital???

Hi. I am in Toronto Canada and I am writing a history of shellshock so that Beaufort War Hospital (an officially designated center for "mental cases") is of some interest to me. Can you please identify the date(s), the name or the serial number (unit as well?) of this Canadian whom your great-grandfather operated on? What was the full name of your great-grandfather? PM if necessary.

Thanks,

John

Hi. I am in Toronto Canada and I am writing a history of shellshock so that Beaufort War Hospital (an officially designated center for "mental cases") is of some interest to me. Can you please identify the date(s), the name or the serial number (unit as well?) of this Canadian whom your great-grandfather operated on? What was the full name of your great-grandfather? PM if necessary.

Thanks,

John

• 8 months later...

Beaufort War Hospital according to the Welcome Library records for the Beaufort War hospital are held at the Bristol Record Office. I have been looking for patient records which show my grandfather David Liddiatt Army Service Corps, as he was a patient until his death in 1920. The BRC tells me that it only has maintenance records for the hospital. Any help in finding the patient records or pictures will be welcome. Jeff Liddiatt

• 4 years later...
Guest Grimmy

Hi. I'm a bit late with this - but the info has only just come to light.

My great aunt Lucy Henshall was a nurse at Beaufort during WWI. We have discovered several photographs of staff/patients which I will make available as soon as they have been scanned.