Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ayrshire Yeomanry

munce

Munce - A long shot this; is there any roll of soldiers included? If there is, can you see if there are any by the surname Laurie or Carrick. If not don't worry. :D

My partner, Jean, is a Laurie and the other side of her family are Carrick and they all come from Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. As you'll know, the Ayrshire Yeomanry are The Earl of Carricks Own.

Hi Lee,

No luck I'm afraid. All casualties and medal winners get a mention, plus of course the various OCs, but no Laurie or Carrick.

I had a quick flick through the regimental history as well, and likewise no mention of any Laurie or Carricks (apart from the Earl himself, or course!)

Munce - Like a bad penny I keep turning up!! Jean has just asked me if there is any mention of the surnames: Gilmour and Redmond. Again, these are parts of her family from Ayrshire and who served in an unknown unit. I doubt there is any mention, but if you don't mind looking she'd be grateful. :rolleyes:

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi Lee,

REALLY late reply to your post - mt apologies, I've only just noticed it! I've had a look through, and again, unfortunately, no mention of either Gilmour or Redmond in the diaries or the regimental history (apart from a Maj. Sir J. Gilmour who pops up in WW2 - but I guess if there was a knight of the realm in the family you'd already know about it!).

Cheers,

munce

(apart from a Maj. Sir J. Gilmour who pops up in WW2 - but I guess if there was a knight of the realm in the family you'd already know about it!).

No Knights of the Realm in her family I'm afraid. Although I was once engaged to a Portuguese girl who was descended from ancient nobility ^_^. Boy, am I glad to be out of that relationship :lol:

Anyway, many thanks for looking Pal.

Funnily enough I'm actually married to a Portuguese girl! Not from ancient nobility, mind, although I once read that the laws of probablility mean that everyone in Europe is almost certainly descended from Charlemagne, so I guess that makes most of us royalty!

Funnily enough I'm actually married to a Portuguese girl!

If she's from Azambuja be careful :o, they are a little weird in that town :lol:

• 2 years later...

Hi Munce

I have database of all Regiments that took part in the Galllipoli campaign, and from various sources I've been trying to add certain details as I go along. Could you do a look for me please and see if it gives any info on strength when landed at Gallipoli, Commanding Officer at the time.

Thanks

James

• 13 years later...
On 14/02/2003 at 22:23, Guest Hill 60 said:

Munce - A long shot this; is there any roll of soldiers included? If there is, can you see if there are any by the surname Laurie or Carrick. If not don't worry. :D

My partner, Jean, is a Laurie and the other side of her family are Carrick and they all come from Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. As you'll know, the Ayrshire Yeomanry are The Earl of Carricks Own.

If you can get in contact via PM i can update you on "Carrick" mentioned in the War Dairy in 1915 Gallipoli