Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pierrefonds-Les-Bains (Oise) Communal Cemetery

Cliff Rumsey

The town is famous for its impressive Chateau but I want to visit the Communal Cemetery to pay my respects to Sergeant Ernest Rumsey. The last Fallen Rumsey bar one for me to visit on the Western Front.

I have driven through the town before and have a brief recall that its not that big and dominated by the Chateau but I cannot find any details of the location of the Cemetery. The CWGC has no details other than that Sergt Rumsey is the only CWGC headstone in the cemetery.

Has anyone visited or have any useful information to share.

Thanks

I've been there,Cliff but,it must be a communal cemetery attachment & a well hidden one at that.

Was he working for the French at the time?

Dave.

I honestly dont know much about him. He died on 31st August 1914 so the date of death coincides with the retreat. He was with the Royal Field Artillery. And I know from my QORWK research that they were in this area on those dates as well.

I have read on another website that French and other nationalities burials were moved to other cemeteries after the war. So it is a bit odd.

Can you recall where in the town the Cemetery is? Is it easy to find? Am also beginning to think finding the Cemetery may be easier than finding the headstone?

But any info at all will be helpful.

Nb Tried using Google Earth but the detail was bad.

It's a tiny place,Cliff,& one well worth visiting.

LOOK AT THIS

I can honestly say that any cemetery there will be easy to find.

Dave.

• Admin

Cliff

IIRC the cemetery wasn't at all hard to find, and the grave is very easy to spot. Dad recently dug out a photo of the grave, I'll borrow it and scan it later. Regrettably the grave was in a bit of a state when I visited and I got in touch with the CWGC. (This was some years ago now) who assured me they would take action.

Pierrefonds itself is lovely but very expensive: I would seek coffee elsewhere!

Michelle

Thanks Michelle.

You do get about a bit dont you. This time last year you were helping with my Loos visit which was a great success.

The party I am with I dont think will want to stay long in Pierrefonds as its an en route stop on Sunday morning. I have a suspicion we may be slightly hungover so your coffee info is welcome.

I have been focussing on 2 projects these last few years:-

1) To visit all the known Rumseys who fell on the Western Front. After Ernest there is one more at Etretat. About 40 in total.

2) To visit the memorials and cemeteries of the 1st Battalion QORWK very roughly in the chronological order in which they fell. Covered 20+ in the Ypres area from 1st and 2nd Ypres in Jan. This visit will take in part of the retreat and 1st Marne.

regards

• Admin

Hello Cliff

As promised the photo of BSM Rumseys grave at Pierrefonds. As I said it was taken a good few years back . Something is saying to me that this man died of sunstroke, but where I got that from I'm not sure. Good luck with your visit and project- I'm glad I was able to help you again.

Michelle

post-230-1240226110.jpg

Cliff and Michelle ,

Have looked up the cemetery register for Pierrefonds Les Bains Communal Cemetery and it shows

Rumsey Bty S.M Ernest Henry 28200 125th Battery RFA . Died of sunstroke 31st Aug 1914 .

It was hot when we were there and the ice creams were expensive I recall . Cliff , if you would like the rest of the entry let me know .

Maurice and Dad

Thanks for the info folks.

I have to say this Rumsey is likely to head for the shade at every opportunity. And my birthday is 21st June..longest day and all that.

You can just imagine what it was like in August 1914. With all the movement and turmoil these chaps had undergone in those first few weeks.

The headstone looks as if it is wilting too.

And yes any more info is welcome. Thanks

Cliff

The other info in the register is given as -

Son of Edwin and Harriet Rumsey of 15 , Hyde Churchpath, Winchester Hants , husband of Leah Emily Rumsey of Ivy cottage , Talbot Village , Bournemouth . West Part

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Cliff

Dad found this photo of Rumseys grave taken a few years later than the other one. The grave looks in better shape.

Michelle

post-230-1240938758.jpg

Cliff

Dad found this photo of Rumseys grave taken a few years later than the other one. The grave looks in better shape.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle.

Do you have any connection with Bty Serjt Major Rumsey?

• Admin

No Cliff, I was just taken with the sad state of the grave when I first visited Pierrefonds.

Michelle

Archived