Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ashford's WW1 Tank Vandalised

Gunner Bailey

The memorial in the market place in Derby has had studs fitted to deter people from sitting on it. It had become a mecca for skateboarders, which I thought completely wrong, but as there are no seats nearby the Council was almost inviting people to use the steps of the Memorial instead. Muddled thinking from the council didn't help maintain its dignity, IMO.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Its a shame to hear of such things

In our local park the memorial to the fallen in both wars is now completly fenced off.

Geoff

........a failure of education, none of them have a clue about what they are sat upon. Not only that, a failure of parenting where discipline is frowned on as an infringement of their rights.

We had a vandalism problem in our village, some kid from a nearby town decided to write obsenities on a whitewashed wall. Everytime it was cleaned of it happened again. A cheap camera from Argos managed to pick her out. Caught with a hoody (hoody down! :lol: ) with a design which showed up in the dark.

Banged to rights.

The thing is she is from a well heeled family.

.........failure of education, no. It is just that you can't put nowt, where there is nowt.

Dick

Dick

It's good that someone decided to act. Great stuff.

John

• 1 month later...
There has always been vandalism and there always will be. I remember in the early '60s when an old gun tube mounted on a stone cairn in Alexandria, Virginia was regularly doused with paint. The old artillery piece had been left behind in Alexandria by Gen. Braddock's command during the Seven Years War because of the lack of horses to transport it on campaign.

I was in a Serbian Orthodox church in Jugoslavija in 1971 and I noticed grafitti carved into the lower edge of a fresco from about 1400 or 1500, saying, basically, in a Serb Cyrillic sort of way: "Kilroy was here." A Croat university instructor friend was nearby, and I pointed it out, and commented that it probably was the contribution of a recent comedian. He stated: "Not unless he was quite a scholar" and pointed out that a particular letter in the inscription had been dropped from the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet about 1830.

The Romans and the Egyptians were maddened grafittists. Of course the word "grafitti" is a Latin/Roman word. But it does seem like the young ones today employ really damaging tools provided by modern technology; diamond scribers, spray cans, and the like. I personally find it a real pain in the butt.

Bob Lembke

In this world Bob, little changes when it comes to people!

John

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the pics.

I never knew there was a Mk IV tank in the centre of Ashford. My apologies for my ignorance...

As for the vandalism, it makes your blood boil doesn’t it? Do they have a clue what it represents, do they have any sence of the words 'respect' 'pride' or 'sacrifice.' ?

My grandfather if still alive, would have gone utterly ballistic if he had heard such vandalism. The old boy may have struggled along with a walking stick in later years, by my word if, he had come face to face with those vandals....

Thanks for posting the pics.

I never knew there was a Mk IV tank in the centre of Ashford. My apologies for my ignorance...

As for the vandalism, it makes your blood boil doesn’t it? Do they have a clue what it represents, do they have any sence of the words 'respect' 'pride' or 'sacrifice.' ?

My grandfather if still alive, would have gone utterly ballistic if he had heard such vandalism. The old boy may have struggled along with a walking stick in later years, by my word if, he had come face to face with those vandals....

You are not alone. I'm sure there are many of us on this forum who would have like to have caught these morons red handed, if only to restrain them until the Police got there....

John