Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ashford's WW1 Tank Vandalised

Gunner Bailey

This week's Kentish Express newspaper reported that the WW1 Mk IV tank in Ashford Town Centre had been vandalised.

Two teenagers, thought to be a boy and a girl aged about 14 were seen nearby just after the vandalism was noticed. The tank was graffitied with mindless teenage signs of love and affection by these morons. Similar graffiti had also been seen in the nearby housing estate at Park Farm.

It will cost about £500 to remedy the damage.

The article gave a useful time line for the tank (no 245)

Built 1916

Donated to town on 1 Aug 1919

Engine and insides stripped out and Electricity Substation placed inside 1929

Completely renovated by REME 1978

Major Refurbishment 2005

Registered as a war memorial and dedicated on 11/11/2006.

Any suggestions as to a suitable punishment should be sent to Ashford Borough Council!

John

Unfortunately these Moron's who do this are everywhere!

We have a Memorial Bench in Brixham, Devon for our daughter Angela whom we lost from a fatal Asthma attack, this too has had the name ROZ carved on one of the arms! I wouldn't like to say what I would do if I caught whoever did this!!??

Young love, eh! If the persons responsible are identified and caught, issue 'em with appropriate cleaning stuff and get 'em to rectify the damage. Don't tell 'em about the other young men and women (many of them, no doubt, service people, many, probably, fighting WW1) who've done this sort of thing since time immemorial (or at least since writing was invented). Don't mention Kilroy.

EDIT: this was a little tongue in cheek. Such vandalism is annoying and, in F E Speakman's case, personally upsetting - but it's nothing new.

We have a Memorial Bench in Brixham, Devon for our daughter Angela whom we lost from a fatal Asthma attack, this too has had the name ROZ carved on one of the arms! I wouldn't like to say what I would do if I caught whoever did this!!??

I can imagine how you must feel about that. Words fail me in such cases.

What are we breeding these days? The other day I stopped at a cafe in Dover for a tea and a snack and the young lad behind the counter (aged about 14) could not work out the change I was due from a £5 note for a bill of £3.60. He actually got a calculator out. I told him the change needed before he'd entered any numbers, but still used the calculator to check if I was right. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

John

Obviously one would prefer the culprits are caught.

I would not only have them put it back to its previous condition I would also ensure that the money for materials was covered by them/earned so that the full cost of the clean up was implemented.

Then I would ensure that it was their responsibility to keep it in that condition. If it happened again and the culprits were not caught they would clean it.

That may limit such behaviour and perhaps the word would get around that its unacceptable behaviour and you are personally responsible for putting it right. Or they may have a vested interest in preventing further acts.

There has always been vandalism and there always will be. I remember in the early '60s when an old gun tube mounted on a stone cairn in Alexandria, Virginia was regularly doused with paint. The old artillery piece had been left behind in Alexandria by Gen. Braddock's command during the Seven Years War because of the lack of horses to transport it on campaign.

I suppose the question to all this vandalism is WHY?

John

Probably the work of one of the little idiots that hang around the Town Square for hours on end....if we had a proper police presence in the port things might be different

If the persons responsible are identified and caught

They should be given F.P. No. 1 or No. 2, they would think twice about do it next time B)

Annette

Ah yes, it is indeed a sad reflection on today's society. Yes it is true there always has been vandalism, but it seems to be far more prevalant today. The answer... who knows!

Jasmor58

John

Yes why my nephew Pte Thomas Haggerty Royal Scots KIA 3.3.91 , His grave stone has been scratched lord knows why they do things. I have seen some nasty bits of vandalism in graveyards in my job and no one can figure out why perhaps they reply is like why do you want to climb that mountain because its there . Punishment well I would make them work with disabled children and let them see the freedom they have should not be taken for granted and be grateful for what they have.

Dan

John

Same reason why people smash locks of the fort we look after in Dover even though we open up as much as possible :angry:

It is almost as annoying seeing people climb all over the Ashford Tank whenever I see it...

Punishment well I would make them work with disabled children and let them see the freedom they have should not be taken for granted and be grateful for what they have.

Dan

Not a bad idea at all Dan. Assuming they have a brain to take it all in.

John

How did this tank escape the cull in 1940?

How did this tank escape the cull in 1940?

It was in use as an electricity sub station (see post 1#). That's how it survived. A minor miracle.

Sadly, the conversion did result in the engine and other contents being removed. The tank drove into the town in 1919 when it was presented to the town.

John

Punishment should be dished out the army way!

Make the idiots scrub it clean with a blue tit's eyelash every inch. Make their friends watch and if they think it's funny a spot of headstone cleaning volunteers for the CWGC a few hundred thousand headstones should do it!

Then when they've finished they can do it again.

Or there is the firing squad!

That's it from me.

Punishment should be dished out the army way!

Make the idiots scrub it clean with a blue tit's eyelash every inch. Make their friends watch and if they think it's funny a spot of headstone cleaning volunteers for the CWGC a few hundred thousand headstones should do it!

Then when they've finished they can do it again.

Or there is the firing squad!

That's it from me.

Could you make the punishment just a little bit harsher? :D

John

We all know that should the culprits be found, no punishment of any significance will be given

That, my very good GWF pals, is now the state of the nation.............

We can fume and bluster all day but the authorities teeth have been drawn.

Gawd elp us!

Bob Grundy

Could you make the punishment just a little bit harsher? :D

John

Ok, point taken, stand the firing squad down.

After my inspection visit today, I'm pleased to report that the graffiti has been removed and the tank returned to its normal state. I'll put some new photos up this evening.

John

Here's some photos now.

John

post-8629-1240418660.jpg

post-8629-1240418679.jpg

post-8629-1240418782.jpg

post-8629-1240418797.jpg

post-8629-1240418843.jpg

post-8629-1240418857.jpg

Blast!

I didn't know it was there..........

but now I do, I'm going to have to visit Ashford!

Bruce

Hello all,

I've been working in Ashford this week so thought I'd give the Tank a visit. Took loads of photos similar to those shown and the Tank looks great apart from rear nearside track.

See photo.

post-28333-1240420925.jpg

Hello all,

I've been working in Ashford this week so thought I'd give the Tank a visit. Took loads of photos similar to those shown and the Tank looks great apart from rear nearside track.

See photo.

That's not the graffiti that was added last week. That was on the green paintwork and was in blue felt tip pen. I think the tracks wil be easily repainted.

John