Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 - Medals for Infantrymen

Keenor

I was checking through my cousin's Medal Cards and some of them are very faint. It looks as though he qualified for six medals before his death on 19th September 1918.

What would be the six?

I estimate that they would be:-

1/ 1914 Star

2/ 1914/15 Star

3/ British War Medal

4/ Victory Medal

5/ & 6/ are beyond me. Perhaps someone could help?

He joined the Welsh Regiment in 1914 and served in the South Wales Borderers and ended up in the Sherwood Forester, Notts & Derby.

Thanks in anticipation.

Johnnie,

Can you post some details of the soldier so we can have a look. According to SDGW there are 82 soldiers of the Sherwood Forresters who died on the day mentioned.

He would not have been able to qualify for both of the star's. They could only get one or the other, if they qualified at all. It depended on their date of entry into a theatre of operations.

Cheers Andy.

g'day Johnnie,

I can't help you with what the other two medals may be unless they are decorations such as the Military Medal or the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

Regarding the 1914 and 1914/14 Stars, in Australia at least, if someone was entitled to the former, he was not entitled to the latter. If the same rule applied in the British Army you have a further medal to look for!

I would be asking if any member visiting Kew could look up your cousins service record then your question may be answered.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

OK - I've gone out on a bit of a cuff here. Had a look at the 82 names listed and there is a John Peter Jones, which is extremely similar to your user ID. Could this be the man, and if it is here is some info.

Firstly from the CWGC:

Name: JONES, JOHN PETER

Initials: J P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 19/09/1918

Service No: 74011

Additional information: Son of Frederick W. and Maria Jones, of 17, Lewis Place, Porthcawl, Glam. Enlisted 1914 in Welch Regt.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 7.

Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

And some more. I could only find one MIC for this soldier and he qualified for the 1914-15 Star, BWM and Victory. He entered France on 02 December 1915 with the Welsh Regiment. Below is a copy of the MIC:

Cheers Andy.

post-41030-1239841210.jpg

OK - I've gone out on a bit of a cuff here. Had a look at the 82 names listed and there is a John Peter Jones, which is extremely similar to your user ID. Could this be the man, and if it is here is some info.

Firstly from the CWGC:

Name: JONES, JOHN PETER

Initials: J P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 19/09/1918

Service No: 74011

Additional information: Son of Frederick W. and Maria Jones, of 17, Lewis Place, Porthcawl, Glam. Enlisted 1914 in Welch Regt.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 7.

Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

And some more. I could only find one MIC for this soldier and he qualified for the 1914-15 Star, BWM and Victory. He entered France on 02 December 1915 with the Welsh Regiment. Below is a copy of the MIC:

Cheers Andy.

Thankyou Andy.

That is indeed the right man.

I'm very grateful to you.

David Jones

David,

Back to the medal thing, con you give us a heads up on how you came to the conclusion that he was entitled to medals 5 and 6?

Cheers Andy.

SDGW doesn't show any decorations (DCM, MM etc). If 1 or more medals were issued it is possible one was for the TF but he didn't join up until 1914 therefore not long enough service.

35092884.jpg

Just noticed he's got service records on Ancestry. Do you have them? If not, e-mail me - les@victoria-cross.co.uk - and I'll send them on.

EDIT - realised you had less than 10 posts so couldn't PM me.

David,

Back to the medal thing, con you give us a heads up on how you came to the conclusion that he was entitled to medals 5 and 6?

Cheers Andy.

Andy,

It's me being thick I think. I equated it to the six cards that were there. I'm a bit new to this and I was quite surprized that I actually found him.

Dave