Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th York & Lancaster Regt & Collingwood Battalion

connaughtranger

I've copies of 9th York & Lancaster Regt by J B Montagu & The Collingwood Battalion by Lt Geary. The Collingwood is mainly biographical notes of the Officers killed and missing and lists of the men of the Battalion, including home address. The history of the Old Collingwood is 1/3rd of a page long and of the New Collingwood, it extends to 4 pages. The "new" Battalion made its first attack on 4th June 1915 on Gallipoli, it was annihilated and was never reformed.

Montagu's history is typescript, about 100 pages long but quite detailed.

As this post is 21 minutes old I thought I'd get in first!

I am reseaching a couple of officers who, according to what I have so far, served with the 9th Y&L. Both survived and I have no details of their service at all so I don't know if there is an index but any details or mention of the following would be fantastic as I have so little on them

Captain Richard James Paget. he joined a Canadian unit in January 1915 and must have been commissioned and posted to the Y&L some time later but he was in the UK in the September that year as he got married in Folkestone on the 29th

Captain Frank T Power I have nothing on

Both these men went to the same prep school and it's their records which have recorded the battalion so I'm hoping there might be something on them in the history

Thanks and regards John

As this post is 21 minutes old I thought I'd get in first!

I am reseaching a couple of officers who, according to what I have so far, served with the 9th Y&L. Both survived and I have no details of their service at all so I don't know if there is an index but any details or mention of the following would be fantastic as I have so little on them

Captain Richard James Paget. he joined a Canadian unit in January 1915 and must have been commissioned and posted to the Y&L some time later but he was in the UK in the September that year as he got married in Folkestone on the 29th

Captain Frank T Power I have nothing on

Both these men went to the same prep school and it's their records which have recorded the battalion so I'm hoping there might be something on them in the history

Thanks and regards John

Hi

I'll get back to you with as much info as I can find. The history is typescript with soft covers and isn't properly paginated, let alone having an index! Pagination stops at page 74 then restarts at Appendix B as page 1, before missing out pages 3, 4 & 5 returning on page 6. I don't think there was an editor!!Despite this, it's quite a good history.

One thing I can tell you Capt Power went overseas with the Battalion on 25/26th August 1915 as OC "B" Co

Regards

Martin

Hi Cr,

I'm researching

Private 17780 Charles FRANCIS

9th Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment

Kia in Belgium on Tuesday 5 June 1917

I'd be interested if it details the goings on about this time. I think they were in trenches at Wellington Crescent and Maple Trench in readiness for the forthcoming Battle of Messines.

Many thanks,

Graeme

Hi

I've found 2 other mentions of Capt Power:

Capt Power, along with Major J S Armstrong, 2/Lts A G Price, F O Ross, A L Brown & 80 OR's, was left in Long Valley on the eve of July 1st and missed going over the top on the first day, something which no doubt saved his life; 22 Officers became casualties on the day.

At some point Capt Power was either on leave or on courses because it shows him as rejoining the Battalion during February 1917

I can't find any mention of Capt Paget, even though there are lists of officers who took part in battles, joined or rejoined the Battalion during its existence

Regards

Martin

Martin

Thanks very much that's a 100% more than I had this morning. I'll doublecheck Paget's battalion but the Power information gives me something to dig into some more.

Mant thanks again John

• 8 years later...
On 4/14/2009 at 14:04, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Cr,

I'm researching

I'd be interested if it details the goings on about this time. I think they were in trenches at Wellington Crescent and Maple Trench in readiness for the forthcoming Battle of Messines.

Many thanks,

Graeme

Hi,17780 pte Charles Francis was my great uncle,I have his medals and quite a lot of info on him and a family story of how he was killed.regards Ashley

On 4/14/2009 at 14:04, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Cr,

I'm researching

Many thanks,

Graeme

I have his service records etc and a photocopy of a newspaper cutting of a photo of him.Regards Ashley

Hi  Ashley,

many thanks for posting.

I have since found the information I was after etc.

Is the photo you have of him from the Walsall Observer ?  If so I already have this or can post if you want a copy,

Cheers and regards,

Graeme

13 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi  Ashley,

many thanks for posting.

I have since found the information I was after etc.

Is the photo you have of him from the Walsall Observer ?  If so I already have this or can post if you want a copy,

Cheers and regards,

Graeme

Hi,I don,t know which paper it was from ,but it was a copy of a copy and wasnt very good,so if you could send me a copy that would be great.There was a family story that Charles was on a stretcher and him and the stretcher bearers where killed by a shell,in my research I found that there were about five other men killed on that day with no known grave,so this could be true.Also he was engaged to a girl but he was killed before they were married she never married but that is all I know.My email address is anaustin@anaustin.karoo.co.uk  Many thanks Ashley

There was also H T Cooper who my wife and I have been researching who was in B company of the 9 Y&L and was listed as "assumed dead" on 5 June 1917.  I assume the assumption was as to the date because he does have a grave and his CWGC papers include a concentration return.  He was concentrated to White House cemetery from 28. I. 30. a. 8. 4 and there are 5 unknowns listed in the return (one is from the Leicesters).   Interestingly one of the unknowns is purported to have had a visiting card from Arthur Ball on him.  However, Arthur Ball worked in the same bank branch as our man so we believe it should have been attributed to H T Cooper.  Perhaps the card was dislodged from H T Cooper's body at the time of initial burial or at the time of death?  So, maybe the other unknowns were also 9 Y&L?  Interestingly, the initial burial place in I. 30. a appears close to Canada Street and some distance from Wellington Street.  I don't find the battalion's war diary particularly helpful.  It doesn't mention any casualties on the 5th in what was a fairly long trek and specifically says no casualties on the 6th when moving to the assembly trenches at Canada Street.

Reg

On 11/10/2017 at 07:49, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Ashley,

here is the pic

Regards,

Graeme

francis c.jpg

On 11/10/2017 at 07:49, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Ashley,

here is the pic

Regards,

Graeme

francis c.jpg

many thanks,I have not seen this photo before I can,t believe how much he looks like my dad in his younger days,striking family resemblance.Thanks once again

On 11/10/2017 at 00:19, Don Regiano said:

There was also H T Cooper who my wife and I have been researching who was in B company of the 9 Y&L and was listed as "assumed dead" on 5 June 1917.  I assume the assumption was as to the date because he does have a grave and his CWGC papers include a concentration return.  He was concentrated to White House cemetery from 28. I. 30. a. 8. 4 and there are 5 unknowns listed in the return (one is from the Leicesters).   Interestingly one of the unknowns is purported to have had a visiting card from Arthur Ball on him.  However, Arthur Ball worked in the same bank branch as our man so we believe it should have been attributed to H T Cooper.  Perhaps the card was dislodged from H T Cooper's body at the time of initial burial or at the time of death?  So, maybe the other unknowns were also 9 Y&L?  Interestingly, the initial burial place in I. 30. a appears close to Canada Street and some distance from Wellington Street.  I don't find the battalion's war diary particularly helpful.  It doesn't mention any casualties on the 5th in what was a fairly long trek and specifically says no casualties on the 6th when moving to the assembly trenches at Canada Street.

Reg

Hi,Ive just read your post with regards to the burial site,would you say that 17780 Charles Francis could be buried in White House cemetery as one of the five unknowns?He was my great uncle.Thanks Ashley

Hi Ashley.

Well that's a big call.  All I can say is that there were 4 unknowns who were re-buried at White House from the same spot as H T Cooper (the Leics man was from elsewhere) and there is no indication of regiment etc.  So I suppose it is a possibility, especially if their deaths resulted from shelling.  Here is the concentration document which includes what I believe to be the misallocation of the visiting card.

Reg

Cooper HT grave concentration plus UBS.jpg

Hi many thanks,this could be true as my late Grandma(C. Francis sister)apparantley said he was on a stretcher when they got hit by a shell,we,ll never know.He did have quite a interesting service record as he joined the Barnsley pals,but then was posted to Gallipoli and injured,he went missing when on leave in England and then KIA.Thanks once again for this info

Here is a photo of H T Cooper's grave.  3 of the unknowns who were found with him are buried in the row behind - one is obscured by H T Cooper's headstone.

DSC04271.JPG

Thats great thankyou,Charles Francis could well be one of the unknowns in the picture.I spoke to a relative of mine-George Francis whose father was Fred Francis(Charles brother)also in the Yorks and Lancs.Fred always said that Charles was on a stretcher when him and the stretcher bearers were killed by an explosion.Thanks once again,it would be nice to think he was one of these burials

I meant to add that the headstone appearing between the 2 unknowns (behind and to the right of H T Cooper) and in the row behind them i.e. 2 rows behind Cooper is that of the unknown Leics man (plot P 29) and obscured but to his left is that of the other unknown listed in the concentration report (buried at P 28)