Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave Photo Request (The RCR in the Great War)

regimentalrogue

Hi

I have been to Croydon (Mitcham Road) Cemetery today and will soon email you the photo of the gravestone of Sgt Wilkinson. It was an interesting visit as the CWGC reference is not correct and the office staff at the Cemetery were very interested and very helpful and showed me the original book entry from 1919 and eventually they identified the grave position. I will scan the revised cemetery details and email it along with the photo

Judy

Croydon (Mitcham Road) Cemetery

Are you interested in Graves in Northern Ireland

eg: HERRON, WILLIAM ARTHUR, W A Lieutenant Royal Canadian Regiment 21/03/1919 25 C. 127.

Adrian58,

Yes, I am very interested. It looks like you have discovered an error in my earlier research; I apparently linked his name and initials to the wrong W.A. Herron.

I will have to gather the details to correct a few entries in my site.

Thank you very much, a photo would be most welcome if possible.

Michael

Edit to add Banbridge Town Cemetery

I'll be out of town at a local army training area for the next three days. I'll be back Sunday evening to get any new photos posted. My thanks to everyone who has assisted.

Michael

Impressive assistance to a fellow Canadian - you are all to be commended for your input!

I am missing a few of the Milton Boys so perhaps this is the best way to get the missing photographs.

If interested in assisting, my lads are here:

MIlton Soldiers KIA/KIS WWI

I am missing photographs for the following men:

Archer

Belt

Carbert

Donnelly

Eden

March

McTague

Paterson (Duncan)

Roberts

Robertson (Charles)

Robertson (James)

Tuck

Turrell

Walsh

Williams

I have just emailed you a photo from Kensal Green Cemetery (Pte A M MacLean)

regards

Judy

Have obtained photographs of the Grave of Lieutenant William Arthur Herron, Royal Canadian Regt, 21st March 1919, Age 25, from Banbridge Cemetery. Will email to you.

Regards

Adrian

Michael,

The below named are they of interst to you? They are mentioned at Belfast City Cemetery

Regards

Adrian

HETHERINGTON , J Private 841318 Canadian Infantry 27/12/1916 and

Adrian, thank you.

Private Hetherington was serving with the Quebec Regiment, and is also noted as being a soldier of the 148th Canadian Infantry Battalion. Since neither of those units was a front line battalion and the 148th only made it to England in Oct 1916, it would appear that he never made it into France and likely died of accident or disease.

Sergeant Young was serving with the Alberta Regiment, and is also noted as being a soldier of the 103th Canadian Infantry Battalion. Again, possibly no service in France as the 103rd Battalion was absorbed into the reinforcement system.

Both solders were born in Ireland according to their attestation papers.

Neither soldier falls within my current research project, but their details are now here, in case anyone is researching them in future.

Thank you

Mike

Thanks to Judy, I've now also been able to add the photo of Thomas Watson's grave in the Tyne Cot Cemetery.

And even though there are still seven soldiers left in UK cemeteries, the response has been amazing.

Michael

marky,

Thank you very much. I'm away from my home system and wouldn't be able to update my website before tomorrow night or Friday anyway, so an email at your convenience would be great.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael

I have been to Tottenham Cemetery today and have a couple photos to send you of the memorial for Pte John Nearing. This is the last one I can do for you (in the Greater London area) and it has been an honour to visit the memorials and resting places of these men. I sometimes go to France and Belgium on coach tours and will keep a list of the ones you are looking for there just in case the group visits one of those cemeteries (as happened with Tyne Cot last weekend). I will email the photos to you later this evening

Kind regards

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

I have it in my sight to get to Epsom cemetery in the next month or so and will keep a watch to see if you still need that one.

Regards

judy

• 3 weeks later...

Michael,

I was in the Epsom area today and photographed WH Cummings' memorial. The First World War dead that are buried in this cemetery do not have headstones as such - they are named on the wall with a plot number next to their names. There is a numbered stone plaque in the ground corresponding to the named men. I hope that this makes sense.

An email with the photos will be on its way to you shortly.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

P.S.

I hope that I haven't stepped on anybody's toes in doing this today!

Kev, thank you very much, I will look forward to seeing the photos.

Mike

Thanks to Kevin, Epsom Cemetery has been visited and Private Cummings final resting place photographed, leaving only 4 Royal Canadians in the UK to be visited.

Epsom Cemetery

Hi

I was at Monchy-Le-Preux last week and took a photo of the headstone of Private E Howard which I'll email a bit later. I also took Panel 10 at the Menin Gate if you still need that one.

kind regards

judy

PS Kev, very pleased for RR about Epsom as it was probably my toes! I just wanted RR to know that eventually he would get it (and reduce the number remaining to 4) but it's quite a long way for me and I don't drive so it's great it's done.