Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A novice researcher asks...

Guest mat

I am trying to locate the war diary of, and files in general for, 1/4 Bn., Oxford and Bucks, through the PRO website and, being somewhat cyber-inept, am having a difficult time. Does anyone have any advice to guide me through this, given that I cannot visit PRO in person? Also, having read the very helpful material on war diaries located on this site, how many pages might such a war diary contain? <_<

A quick lok on PROCAT (I searched on Buckinghamshire, WO95) shows that the 1/4th War Diary is in WO95/2764 (April 15 to October 17), and WO95/4251 (November 17 to March 19).

War Diaries vary hugely in content. In some cases, a month or more can be covered on a single page. Single days of intense activity cover often several pages. In addition, quite often there are operation orders, maps, notes, etc added as appendices. I guess an average war diary consists of perhaps 200 pages of diary and could be half that again with added notes. But as I say, very varied.

The one place you are almost certain to find the battalion war diary is at the NA-PRO, and the other place where there is a very good chance of locating it is the Ox & Bucks LI Archives. Regimental Archives are most often associated with the regimental museum. Contact details for the Ox & Bucks LI Regimental Museum:-

Slade Park TA Barracks

Headington

Oxford

Oxfordshire

OX3 7JJ

Region: South

Tel: 01865 780128

You can apply for an 'estimate' online with the NA - not used it recently but I gave them an officer file reference, paid a £10 deposit on the credit card - they then look at the file and price the job. I think if you order the £10 goes against the cost; if you don't I think it might be lost.

For my purposes it worked very well but it wasn't a very big file. Weighed against a 400 mile round trip...good value.

I would say though that there is no substitute for a personal visit, especially if the wallet will stretch to a few days on site.

Bernard Lewis

Thanks. I wish I could visit in person, but I 'm working from Canada, so it is not an option. I think an online estimate request may be a good start; then, based upon the length of the document and copying cost, I'll make some decisions.

Have you tried typing the regiment into your address bar, I did this with The Royal Berkshire Regiment. On their site they have several war diaries. Others may have the same