Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEF in Italy -- any good books?

Guest mat

'The British Army in Italy 1917-1918' by John and Ellen Wilks [iSBN 0 85052 608 6] is probably what you're looking for.

For a soldier's view, try 'Across the Piave' by Norman Gladden [sBN 11 290070 4].

Norman McMillan's 'Offensive Patrol' [iSBN 0 09 116180 0] covers the work of the RFC, RNAS and RAF.

I hope this helps

I wouldn't regard the following as an indepth history at all but it is an interesting read:

Italy: Asiago. F MacKay. Battleground Europe Series (ISBN 0 85052 759 7)

Chris- The "official history" which you mention -- is that of the BEF or of the Allied effort in WW1? Could you give an ISBN on it? I'm working from Canada, and have tried to search both through various indexes of interlibrary databases over here and have come up dry. Could you help by specifying the title to this novice, please? Also, thank you again for the ref. numbers from PROCAT -- I actually tried several searches using what you provided and still came up dry, due no doubt, to my lack of cyber-skill -- and am trying to decode the secrets of access to the PROCAT catalogue.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated. :rolleyes:

Yours,

Matt.

Matt

It's slightly off your main theme, but you may also like to see Wayne Ralph's 'Barker VC' [iSBN 1 898697 59 0] - an excellent account of the Canadian who was the outstanding RFC/RAF fighter pilot in the skies over Italy.

Cheers

I believe the Naval and Military press also provide copies of the Official Histories.

www.naval-military-press.com

Ali

Mat,

How about "Caporetto 1917", by Cyril Falls. The copy I have is published by Weideneld & Nicolson, 1966. No ISBN unfortunately.

Rob

You could try the 7th Division's offical history, they were sent to Italy in late 1917 and stayed there till the end of the war.

From,

Thomas McCall