Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whatsit Street Military Hospital

Chris_Baker

I have a copy of the papers of a soldier who badly scalded his ankle by dropping a pan of boiling water onto it, in France. He was evacuated to UK and sent to hospital. Trouble is, fire has burned off the first bit of the name of the hospital stamped on his military history sheet - and I'd like to figure out what it could be.

The last three words are definitely "Street Military Hospital". No town given.

The first word seems to end in "---nic".

Any ideas?

The soldier was Scottish, from Edinburgh with family in Glasgow.

Chris

I know this is an extremely long shot and probably way off the mark but!! the pop group Manic Street Preachers are from that area I believe. Soooo? Could it be Manic street military hospital????

:rolleyes:

Garth

Chris,

Because I had nothing better to do I typed '$**nic street' into multimap.com (where $ ran from A-Z) and it came up with the following. Whether these streets existed in 1914-18 or if there was a hospital there I know not (also, I suppose the 19143-18 street could no longer exist).

Banic Street Brae, TD1, GALASHIELS

Dominic Street, ST4, STOKE-ON-TRENT

Dominic Street, ST15, STONE

Ionic Street, CH42, BIRKENHEAD

Ionic Street, L21, SEAFORTH

Masonic Street, HX1, SOWERBY BRIDGE

Masonic Street, CF47, MERTHYR TYDFIL

Masonic Street, LL30, LLANDUDNO

Polytechnic Street, SE18, WOOLWICH

Runic Street, L13, CHILDWALL

St Dominic Street, TR1, TRURO

St Dominic Street, TR18, PADSTOW

St Dominic Street, TR18, PENZANCE

CHRIS

Following on from Andrews reply.There is a hospital in Seaforth.It could have been there in ww1.I hope this might help.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

• 7 years later...

While this question may be long dead, I discovered the thread while searching for references to a hospital one of my regimental soldiers was admitted to. I'll add the following here in case anyone i future is looking for the same information. Piecing together the cryptic hospital admission notes notes in a service record, I believe the answer would be:

Ionic St. Military Hospital in Fazakerley, a suburb of Liverpool, which was affiliated with the 1st Western General Hospital (Liverpool)

Thank you, regimental rogue. That may well be the answer. I still have the papers somewhere. I'll see if there is any vestige of a "c" at the end of the word.