Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kenneth Grant Macleod - Gordon Highlanders

daggers

A request for information on the war service of this all-rounder who played Rugby for Scotland with great success but retired at 20. He had a Cambridge cricket blue and probably one for athletics, then played several years for Lancashire as an amateur up to 1914. The National Archives show an MIC for him as an officer in the Gordon Highlanders.

Can anyone please add any details of his army service?

Daggers

The War List of the University of Cambridge only reveals that he was a captain in the Gordon Highlanders who had been Mentioned in Dispatches and wounded. He was at Pembroke College and matriculated in 1905.

Do you need any details of his rugby career?

Gwyn

Gwyn

Trust a Welshman to reply on a partly Rugby question! You have confirmed what I wanted to know - that this is the right man. He played cricket for Lancs after his Rugby career ended at the age of 20, and in 1911 was a schoolmaster living in Birkenhead. He crops up in various connections, running against the Chavasse twins, playing against Poulton (Palmer) and until the last few days was listed as 'born in Liverpool' on a cricket website- now corrected as he was a true Scot. A very gifted all-round athlete.

Anything more about his war time with the Gordons would be interesting, too.

Many thanks

Daggers

Daggers

I'm only partly stereotypical Welsh! I've never (thankfully) hewed coal for a living and I am (sadly) not a member of a male voice choir. Rugby is my game though.

Some additional notes from my records on Kenneth MacLeod:

Nickname "Grunt"; attended Fettes College; four Blues for Cambridge at centre and wing 1905-6 to 1908-9 - captain in 1907-8; ten caps (all as a Cambridge player) for Scotland at centre and wing 1905-6 to 1908-9 - member of the 1906-7 Triple Crown and Championship team which also beat South Africa; Cambridge freshmen's sprint champion; brother of Lewis Macdonald MacLeod, who also played for Cambridge and Scotland - they played together for both teams against New Zealand in 1905-6.

Quite a useful cricketer wasn't he? With such an interesting sportsman, I'm surprised you haven't had any other responses.

If you find out any more about him, I'd be interested.

Best wishes

Gwyn

Gwyn

You have beaten me to it - just - I was mid-reply and cut myself off. There are two other LG entries which cancel others which I have not found, nor any reference to the MID which I am told he had. I have emailed the Gordons' Museum asking if they have any more.

KGM was married to a Miss Olive Blood and they had a son. This may have been in Scotland or elsewhere as it is not in Free BMD. She died in London in 1916.

I have a photo from an athletics club's website showing KGM dead-heating with Noel Chavasse in the University 100 yards in 1907. CM Chavasse is also in the frame. Send a pm with an email address if you would like a look.

Thanks again for your interest - I am also surprised others have not come in on this thread.

Daggers