Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 1st April.

Cpl Clifford GOLDING

91804 1/6th Bn, Durham Light Infantry

Died 31.05.18

Commemoration: Soissons Memorial, France

Pte Clarence Edgar MORGAN

G/95858 6th Bn, Middlesex Regiment

Died 11.11.18 Age 26

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

L/Cpl Paul POLLOCK

15780 14th Bn, Royal Irish Rifles

Died 01.07.16 Age 21

Commemoration: Thiepval Memorial, France

Pte Frederick William TINSLEY

8394 2nd Bn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died 27.11.18 Age 33

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Bmdr Albert George TUCK

69892 11 Bty, Royal Field Artillery

Died 27.04.15 Age 23

Commemoration: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium

NOT FORGOTTEN

Pte Morgan is an In From The Cold Project case.

(Volunteer: Kevin O’Neill)

- He committed suicide by hanging at Mill Hill Barracks

L/Cpl Pollock was put forward on 14.02.09 on behalf of member, Alan Curragh.

Pte Tinsley was put forward on 25.02.09 on behalf of member, Neil Evans.

Bmdr Tuck was put forward on 10.01.09 on behalf of member, Stephen Tuck.

Guest KevinEndon

The case of Morgan seems more heartbreaking than most of the cases as he committed suicide on the day the armistice was signed aged just 26. This is the 3rd case I have had were the soldier could no longer face what the war threw at them, so I did a check on the causes of deaths just for my own IFTC men, here are the results

Sjt BURGESS died of infective endocarditis. (I believe is blood poisoning)

Gnr KING died after a leg amputation due to a gun shot wound.

Saddler KNAPP died of a liver abscess.

Pte Orr – Died of meningitis.

Pte HARVEY died of meningitis.

Pte Lawless died of phthisis and exhaustion (I believe phthisis is T.B.)

2/Lt Hunt died of pneumonia

Pte HAPPER died of pneumonia.

Pnr Cooper – Died of pneumonia

Pte McGIVERON died of pneumonia in Whitchurch Cottage Hospital, Salop after being taken ill whilst awaiting Court Martial in military custody for desertion.

Gnr KEAR committed suicide by hanging.

Pte Hemmings committed suicide by shooting in the head.

Pte Morgan committed suicide by hanging at Mill Hill Barracks.

Rest in peace everyone of them, rest in peace. Now found never to be forgotten.

Kevin

This is Paul Pollock - he lived at 7 Glandore Park, Belfast, and was a member of St Enoch's Presbyterian Church, Belfast. He sailed to France on 5th October 1915 and was reported missing on 1st July 1916.

The only name on the Inst memorial not commemorated - until now. 92 years 9 months after his death, finally in from the cold.

RIP Paul

Alan

post-2705-1238620279.jpg

Guest KevinEndon

Thank you Alan, it brings a tear to the eye when you stop to think that they may never had been commemorated and that by placing the photographs shows that they were not just a number. A great job well done Alan, I take my hat off to you and to everyone else who has brought someone in from the cold.

Kevin

Kevin, Alan and Terry,

A lot of dedicated research has gone here, but it is so gut-wrenching to find that suicide could be the only way out for those boys. Thank you for this important piece of detection.

RIP to all those young men.

Phil.

Clifford, Clarence, Paul, Frederick and Albert.

We Will Remember Them and All those brought "In From the Cold"

Frederick William Tinsley, is the second Shropshire casualty, that i've identified, that has added to the database by the CWGC.

Frederick came to my attention in April 2007 whilst researching Annscroft memorial near Shrewsbury. Annscroft's memorial is very unique for Shropshire as it lists rank, regiment and date of death.

Frederick enlisted into the RWF, at Shrewsbury on 29/06/1904, aged 18. He served continually for 11 years, bar the BEF he remained at Home. He entered France 10/08/1914 and served there until October 1915, He was discharged 15/12/1915 suffering from TB.

He married Lizzie Davies at Nantwich in 1910. They had two children Ada and Minnie Freda, they appeared to have resided at Crewe, Cheshire when he was discharged. In 1917 he moved to his fathers house at 2 Long Row Hook-a-Gate, Annscroft, Shrewsbury. He remained at his fathers house until his death on 27/11/1918, aged 33. He died of (1) Phtisis, TB of Lung (2) Influenza. 3 years after discharge.

Neil

Well done to all.

They are all worthy of remembrance but Morgan's case is terribly poignant. There but for the Grace of God go all of us.

Guest KevinEndon

Morgans service papers are on ancestery. Maybe it wasn't the thoughts of war that took his life. I will leave it at that.

Kevin

Raising a glass to the memory of Clifford, Clarence, Paul, Frederick & Albert. My thoughts in particular are with Clifford who I hope found what he was searching for.

Neil

As you know, Grumpy has a great deal of interest in the 2nd RWF especially the pre war men. I believe he is abroad at the mo and I'm not sure if he is monitoring all of the Forum. I'll PM him to draw attention to your excellent work re Pte Tinsley.

Hywyn

Infective Endocarditis is an infection of the tissue of the heart that damages the valves and can damage other parts of the heart.

Gaz

Guest KevinEndon

It is caused by a bacteria entering the blood stream that then causes what Garron has said. Now should he be studying the great war or biology. Cheers Gaz

Kevin

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 1st April.

L/Cpl Paul POLLOCK

15780 14th Bn, Royal Irish Regiment

Died 01.07.16 Age 21

Commemoration: Thiepval Memorial, France

Can you tell me more about the 14th Batt of the Royal Irish Regiment?

Good grief! Well spotted Mark - it's also wrong on CWGC. I'll drop Terry D a PM

Alan

Edit - Terry confirms a transcription error by CWGC so should hopefully be sorted out soon

Neil

As you know, Grumpy has a great deal of interest in the 2nd RWF especially the pre war men. I believe he is abroad at the mo and I'm not sure if he is monitoring all of the Forum. I'll PM him to draw attention to your excellent work re Pte Tinsley.

Hywyn

Cheers Hywyn

Neil

May They Rest In Peace

Regiment is sorted

Name: POLLOCK, PAUL

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 14th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 15780

N.B.: This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Thanks Terry. and thanks again Mark, for spotting the mistake

Alan

• 1 year later...

Frederick Tinsley is buried at Annscroft. He has no grave marker. CWGC will be contacted shortly.

Neil

• 1 year later...

Hi Alan, I know your post was a few years ago but here is some more information on Paul, note the age he died?

PaulGilchristPollockWW1b.JPG

this is the page the image is on http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/lost_photos_WW1With.htm#Pollock

its very sad that after St. Enoch's burnt down all the memorial stones seem to have been dumped, this one was butchered to retreive the emblem, we managed to get hold of both the emblem and the stone before it went to the scrap yard, unfortunately the corner part is lost, the stone was blackened from the fire but cleaned up reasonably well although it is grey marble under the staining from the fire.

This is Paul Pollock - he lived at 7 Glandore Park, Belfast, and was a member of St Enoch's Presbyterian Church, Belfast. He sailed to France on 5th October 1915 and was reported missing on 1st July 1916.

The only name on the Inst memorial not commemorated - until now. 92 years 9 months after his death, finally in from the cold.

RIP Paul

Alan