Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dungannon or Co Tyrone Memorial or Roll

ckop4

Hi All,

I wondered if there is a Dungannon or County Tyrone Roll of Honour or War Memorial which includes the name of -

Name: HARPER

Initials: E H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/07/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 7 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Regards, JPC

Not listed in Cookstown (Co. Tyrone) War Dead. Forum member Wesley Wright is from Tyrone area .. he may have better sources.

Was he Presbyterian - if so you might find him in the Presbyterian Church RoH (Eddiesnewsextracts website)

Des

Not listed in Cookstown (Co. Tyrone) War Dead. Forum member Wesley Wright is from Tyrone area .. he may have better sources.

Was he Presbyterian - if so you might find him in the Presbyterian Church RoH (Eddiesnewsextracts website)

Des

Thanks Des, he was indeed Presbyterian, a member of the Cork Queen St. congregation (found him on the site that you mentioned), born in Dungannon and a Prof of Mathematics in UCC when he enlisted. So I was hoping to claim him as a Corkman - unless they have claimed him first in Tyrone.

JPC

JPC,

Lieut. Edgar H. Harper South Staffordshire Regiment is listed on the Dungannon War Memorial, County Tyrone.

See http://www.ulsterwarmemorials.net/html/dungannon.html

There is also a Lieut. Ernest M. Harper, Royal Munster Fusiliers listed on the same memorial. Any possibility they are related?

Pere

www.ulsterwarmemorials.net

There is also a Lieut. Ernest M. Harper, Royal Munster Fusiliers listed on the same memorial. Any possibility they are related?

Pere

Hi Pere, yes they do seem to have been related according to the Irish Times of the 22nd of July, 1917 -

Lieutenant E.H. Harper – Much sorrow was expressed in Dungannon on Tuesday at the announcement from the War Office of the death in action of Lieutenant Edgar H. Harper, South Staffordshire Regiment. He was the eldest son of Mr. Henry M. Harper, Northland Place, Dungannon, whose youngest son, Lieutenant Ernest M. Harper, Royal Munster Fusiliers, was killed at the Dardanelles on 9th August last. Lieutenant E.H. Harper was educated at Dungannon Royal School, Queen’s University, Belfast, and Trinity College, Dublin. He held an appointment as Lecturer in Bangor University, Wales, and prior to the war was Professor in Mathematics in Cork University, which position he relinquished to volunteer in the service of his country. He obtained a commission in the Royal Munster Fusiliers in May, 1915, and was transferred to the South Staffordshire Regiment, where he received promotion. He was an enthusiastic Rugby football player.

Regards,

JPC

QUOTE (jpc @ Mar 31 2009, 12:42 PM)

Hi All,

I wondered if there is a Dungannon or County Tyrone Roll of Honour or War Memorial which includes the name of -

Name: HARPER Initials: E H

Regards, JPC

He is also commemorated on the Great War Memorial in the 1937 Reading Room in Trinity College, Dublin. See on my website:

1937 Reading Room and

Name on the memorial

He is mentioned in the War List of the University of Dublin, published as a book.

Michael

Hi Michael, thank you for letting me know about the Trinity memorial, etc. Seems like my man is very well commemorated indeed except at his last post at UCC - and UCC has stayed very quiet about WWI anyway.

BTW, I am contemplating buying a copy of De Ruvigny myself and wondered if there are many Irish listed?

Jean

JPC

BTW, I am contemplating buying a copy of De Ruvigny myself and wondered if there are many Irish listed?

Jean

JPC

There are certainly quite a few, but I couldn't say how many. I find it is worth having for looking up people on war memorials in Ireland. Be sure to get the index volume as well as the five original volumes.

"The Bond of Sacrifice" (also from Naval & Military Press) is useful as well, but it stops at June, 1915, and records only officers. "Our Heroes" is the best, being enitrely Irish, or those serving in Irish regiments. It includes some who won decorations, not only deaths, and some "other ranks", but it stops at July, 1916.

Michael.

Thanks for the tips Michael and may I congratulate you on your fantastic site? You might be amused to learn that during the recent renovation of the Cork WWI memorial on the South Mall, Lieutenant Guy Burrowes, RMF was elevated to Lieutenant-Colonel - but I understand that steps have been taken to remedy this.

Jean/JPC

Thanks for the tips Michael and may I congratulate you on your fantastic site? You might be amused to learn that during the recent renovation of the Cork WWI memorial on the South Mall, Lieutenant Guy Burrowes, RMF was elevated to Lieutenant-Colonel - but I understand that steps have been taken to remedy this.

Jean/JPC

Thanks for the compliment, Jean. It's a labour of love.

My photograph of the memorial does show Lt.Col Burrowes, and I'm sorry to hear he has been demoted! I'll correct the transcript, and blot out the error on the photo. However, when I looked closely at my photo of the old memorial, he was down as "Lt. Guy W. Burrowes". Have they put the full name back?

I couldn't find him on the C.W.G.C. website, because, as you say, his name was Guy, but he is on the memorial as "W." It's a defect in the C.W.G.C. search system that "W. Burrowes" doesn't find him, although he is there as "G. W. Burrowes."

Michael

RE--DESMONDS QUERY--Dungannon is 10 miles from Cookstown and outside Cookstown arera-Earnest Harper--College View-Dungannon. Could he have connection with Dungannon Royal school--A BOARDING SCHOOL.

Edgar Harper--Northland Place--Dungannon.

Dungannon has a large war memorial and can be viewed on web--Ulster war Memorials.

Wesley Wright

RE--DESMONDS QUERY--Dungannon is 10 miles from Cookstown and outside Cookstown arera-Earnest Harper--College View-Dungannon. Could he have connection with Dungannon Royal school--A BOARDING SCHOOL.

Edgar Harper--Northland Place--Dungannon.

Dungannon has a large war memorial and can be viewed on web--Ulster war Memorials.

Wesley Wright

Sorry forgot to add--both Harpers are on Dungannon War Memorial.

Wesley Wright

Michael,

My photograph of the memorial does show Lt.Col Burrowes, and I'm sorry to hear he has been demoted! I'll correct the transcript, and blot out the error on the photo. However, when I looked closely at my photo of the old memorial, he was down as "Lt. Guy W. Burrowes". Have they put the full name back?

I don't know offhand, but will check during the week. The South Mall WWI Memorial and the nearby National Monument are due to be re-dedicated on the 27th of April, should be an interesting event.

Apologies for going very far off the topic of Prof Harper, time for a 'new topic' on Irish war memorials I think. Jean

• 3 years later...