Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Montague Burge 23 Northumberland Fus

Promenade

I am currently researching all of the officers who were killed in action on the Somme 1/7/16. I would be grateful if any forum member could add any information on Major Burge. (His papers are not available at the NA nor do I have a photo and I have little personal detail)

Major 23 NF

Montague Burge was the youngest surviving son of Mr Charles Burge of Whitehall Court. He was educated at Marlborough and served in the S African War with the 3rd Hussars when he was twice mentioned in despatches for conspicuous bravery. On the outbreak of the Great War he returned from Canada and joined the 3rd Hussars from the Reserve. He left a widow. His body was not recovered from the battlefield and identified and having no known grave his name is listed on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing.

Will,

Tks for that it confirms what I have. It is so useful having these MICs on line but so frustrating knowing that there is more info on the MIC image itself - the number of casualties I have to research makes it uneconomic to look at many. Will have to make a trip to the NA.

Tks for your interest

Regards

Joe

Joe............Had another thought.............Given you know where Montague Burge was educated (Marlborough) it might be worth contacting Dick Flory as he has a huge database of information from the British Schools, College & University Registers. His look up offer in the Document Depository is here

Joe

In case you haven't already got it this is Montague Burge's entry in The Marlborough College Register (1843-1933).

Son of C.Burge, Portland Place.

Entered Marlborough College May 1888 Left 1892

Born 10.9.1875

Joined 3rd Hussars.

South African War 1900-02 with Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry - MID

Queens Medal (3 clasps)

Retired 1913

Great War 23rd Northumberland Fusiliers KIA 1.7.1916

Brother: George Stanley Burge - Cottesmore Gardens, Kensington (Old Marlburian)

Dave

Tks Dave,

I do not have access to the Marlborough College Register and this has helped fill in some of the gaps. Really appreciate your help.

Best Regards

Joe Devereux

Joe

I don't know whether you have already looked at this but John Sheen has written a book about the Tyneside Scottish.

I have not got this book but I have his book on the Tyneside Irish and it is very detailed and has information and pictures of many officers, groups, other ranks etc. There are also appendices of Nominal Rolls. Probably the Tyneside Scottish book is comprehensive too.

It's worth a look in case there is information on Major Burge.

Kate

• 1 month later...

According to the Tyneside Scottish book by Stewart & Sheen:

Montague Burge: Formerly 3rd Hussars. From Reserve Officers List to 23Bn as 2nd in Command 9/11/15