Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anti Kaiser propaganda

phil@basildon

When my grandmother died I remember there being a framed picture of Kaiser Willhelm made up of about eight postcards. Each postcard illustrated a supposed German atrocity and each when placed in order formed the face of the Kaiser. This came into the possession of my father but when my parents died there was no sign of it but I beleive it to have been sold to an antiques dealer. The postcards were sent by my paternal grandfather to his fiancee who later became my grandmother.

I did see what could be an identical one, if not the same one in an auction catalogue a few years ago when it was said to be extreamly rare.

If anyone has one of these could they post a picture on this forum please?

Phil

The postcard set to which I think you are referring is illustrated in "Till The Boys Come Home - The Picture Postcards of the First World War" by Tonie and Valmai Holt on pages 61-62. Published in 1977, this remains the best published work on WW1 postcards in my opinion (the book was mentioned in the book reviews section of the forum about a month ago).

It is a set of six French cards published by Ch. Fontane, showing the following German attrocites (i.e. the usual supsects) being:

1. The bandits rape women and massacre children

2. Cowardly use of poison gas and burning petrol

3. Zeppelin raids and incendiary bombs

4. The pirates torpedo innocent neutral civilians

5. Abusing the white flag

6. Pillaging in Belgium and Northern France

In the right order, the cards make up the Kaiser's head.

Sorry, but I'm unable to scan from home at present, but I hope that the above is of some assistance.

Regards

David

David. Thank you, do you know of how many survive? The one that I spoke of in the auction catalogue had a very familiar looking frame, it may even have been the one from my family. I would like to trace that one in particular as I am researching my family tree and I am more interested on what may be on the back.

Phil

No idea how many sets were published and currently survive. I'll keep an eye out at postcard fairs and on eBay, as well as having a dig round old catalogues etc for any additional information. I think that the cards, particularly as a set, are quite rare to find these days.

David