Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4 bn Royal Scots Fusiliers

billy201

Hi there I am trying to find out about Corp George McCracken s/n7808 1/4 bn Royal Scots Fusiliers K I A . 12/7/1915 . I am trying to find out where he was born, and enlisted, and any information I can get, thanking you, all the best. Yours Inniskilling. :unsure:

Hi Inniskilling

Cpl Geogre McCracken

born Old Monklands

enlisted Beith

residence, 97 the Square Glengarnock

died 12-07-1915 (24years)

Dardanelles

Helles Memorial

All the best

Wull

Hi there Wull thanks a lot for that, all the best, yours Inniskilling

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KevinEndon

Corporal George McCracken was yet another casualty on the 12th July 1915 died aged 24. Again he served with the 1st/4th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers and yet again has no known grave and remembered on Helles Memorial. George was employed with D Coalville and Sons and is remembered on the memorial at Lochshore. He arrived in the Balkans on the 6th June 1915 and was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal. George was born in Old Monkland, enlisted in Beith and lived in Glengarnock with his wife Jeanie B McCracken at 97 The Square. His parents lived at 141 Bank Row, Glengarnock.

no photo sorry

Kevin

• 10 years later...

Hi Ron, welcome to the Forum.

As your grandfather was born in Old Monklands (like my own grandfather, as it happens) it's possible Forum member irnbru1970's thread on Coatbridge soldiers might be able to add something: you can find it on here by using "Coatbridge" as your search word. It may be that as your grandfather lived in Ayrshire this won't help - you never know, though.

Cheers, Pat