Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

149th. (County Palatine) Brigade, R.F.A.

Paul Carter.

I am currently researching the 149th. (County Palatine) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. The hope is eventually to complete my project as fully as possible and maybe publish it. At the moment this is just a PRIVATE project.

My Grandmother's Fiance, Ernest Grime, was a signaller with D/149 until his death on 9th. October, 1918.

So far I have managed to obtain a reasonable amount of information about Ernest by going to his home town and looking through newspaper Rolls of Honour and using the 1901 Census at the Public Records Office. I have also obtained a fair amount of information about the 149th. Brigade, R.F.A. by photocopying the entire Battalion War Diary which is held at the Public Records Office and receiving a list of the casualties of this unit from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. At the moment I am approximately half way through photographing ALL the headstones and names inscribed on places of memorial, i.e. Menin Gate & Tyne Cot Memorial, of the casualties of 149th. Brigade, R.F.A.

What I am asking is for anyone who has ANY information about the men of any rank who served with this Brigade to please send it to me along with any photographs, either individual or group photos.

I would also like to obtain some photographs of this unit in action. I understand that it is highly unlikely for me to get a photo of this Brigade in action as photographs of artillery units in action were not usually labelled with the units' details for security reasons.

I appreciate that I am asking for a lot of information, but I feel that this is one of the best places to put out a request like this.

Regards,

Paul Carter.

• 2 years later...

hi paul

attached is a travelogue / diary of my uncle Charlie Lever

he served in 149th RFA till his death in 1917

will your work be made available to other searchers?

i do hope so i have knowledge of others also searching 149th

hope it helps

Tony

charlies_war.doc

post-7376-1139069250.jpg

Paul,

I've taken this from the official War Office list of "Locally Raised or Pal's" units. You may also try your local newspapers for the raising of the unit as many had lists of men who were joining them and sometimes photo's.

Graham.

I have an interest in the 30 Divisional ammunition column where my Great Uncle served 1917-19. Add attachment info from forum published last year about movements of 149 brigade march-april 1918. Note that 2nd Lieutenant C H Dupe of 30th DAC, was attached to 149 brigade RFA and died of wounds 21 march (buried Ham). does Batt diary make any mention of this or the roel of Div ammuniiton column?

Also, technical query, any approx cost for having the batt war diary p-copied and whom you asked to do this for you - (i am assuming you didn't go to Kew to get it done yourself).

regards :)

Doc

30_div_149_bde_RFA_march_1918.doc

• 1 year later...
I am currently researching the 149th. (County Palatine) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. The hope is eventually to complete my project as fully as possible and maybe publish it. At the moment this is just a PRIVATE project.

My Grandmother's Fiance, Ernest Grime, was a signaller with D/149 until his death on 9th. October, 1918.

So far I have managed to obtain a reasonable amount of information about Ernest by going to his home town and looking through newspaper Rolls of Honour and using the 1901 Census at the Public Records Office. I have also obtained a fair amount of information about the 149th. Brigade, R.F.A. by photocopying the entire Battalion War Diary which is held at the Public Records Office and receiving a list of the casualties of this unit from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. At the moment I am approximately half way through photographing ALL the headstones and names inscribed on places of memorial, i.e. Menin Gate & Tyne Cot Memorial, of the casualties of 149th. Brigade, R.F.A.

What I am asking is for anyone who has ANY information about the men of any rank who served with this Brigade to please send it to me along with any photographs, either individual or group photos.

I would also like to obtain some photographs of this unit in action. I understand that it is highly unlikely for me to get a photo of this Brigade in action as photographs of artillery units in action were not usually labelled with the units' details for security reasons.

I appreciate that I am asking for a lot of information, but I feel that this is one of the best places to put out a request like this.

Regards,

Paul Carter.

Paul

I'd be interested in talking to you about the 149th Brigade. About 2 years ago I spent about 6 months researching the 149th between November 1917 and the end of the War when my uncle served as a lieutenant in 'A' battery. I've written it up - but in a document much bigger than I can upload on the forum - it has maps, photos etc. I've approached it slightly differently from you but some of it might be of interest.

I'm probably one of the people that Sircha is talking about

You can reach me at ianl.kerr@ntlworld.com

Regards

Ian Kerr

sp

• 3 months later...
Guest Chris Bloor

I am currently working on the War Diary of Captain William Henry Bloor, who served, mainly in C/149 of the R.F.A. (Also briefly in A/151 and C/148) The Diary covers the period of active service from Nov 28th 1915 until he was killed in action near the Menin Road on Jan 3rd 1918 and buried at Reninghelst.

The diary, as it stands, was printed by my grandfather, Billy Bloor's brother, Harold.

So far, I have transcribed the diary onto my computer, together with a diary written by Billy's youngest brother Rex (Captain R.P. Bloor M.C.), which describes their experiences in the Denbighshire Hussars, and an additional diary by Billy, which describes his experiences whilst attached for training purposes to 127th Battery 29th Brigade 4th Division near Colincamps.

I have discovered a printer who will store electronic versions of books and supplies individual copies at a very reasonable cost, so I propose printing an expanded version of the diary with notes and index to make it accessible to future generations of my family.

I would particularly like to know why Billy was invalided home from November 1916 to July 1917, and I would like to fill the gap in the diary record from December 28th 1917 to January 1918.

In the meantime, I am now able to search the diary for the names of particular officers and men.

Regards

Chris Bloor

Guest Chris Bloor
hi paul

hope it helps

Tony

Hi,

I was interested to see this entry as it covers much of the same ground as my great uncle's war diary, but with significant differences. He was a subaltern, usually attached to C battery of 149th Brigade. Do you know which battery Charles Lever was with?

"Argives" seems to be the same as the rest camp my great uncle called "Arbouvres", which he said was west of Amiens. I think it was probably "Argroevres".

Bois de Tailles rather than Bois de Saille or Salle was the location of the wagon lines for the 149th.

Merville is between Bethune and and Bailleul in the Nord departement of France.

Havershirke seems to be a humorous pun on Haverskerque, which was a rest area near Merville.

Gorre was the HQ of the RE between Bethune and Festubert.

I hope this is useful

Regards

Chris Bloor

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I was interested to see this entry as it covers much of the same ground as my great uncle's war diary, but with significant differences. He was a subaltern, usually attached to C battery of 149th Brigade. Do you know which battery Charles Lever was with?

"Argives" seems to be the same as the rest camp my great uncle called "Arbouvres", which he said was west of Amiens. I think it was probably "Argroevres".

Bois de Tailles rather than Bois de Saille or Salle was the location of the wagon lines for the 149th.

Merville is between Bethune and and Bailleul in the Nord departement of France.

Havershirke seems to be a humorous pun on Haverskerque, which was a rest area near Merville.

Gorre was the HQ of the RE between Bethune and Festubert.

I hope this is useful

Regards

Chris Bloor

hi

Many thanks for the interest, and yes most usefull

i have just taken a fresh look at the field notebook used by Charlie

Squared paper and soft pencil

and i am inclined to agree with your coments

particularly with Havershirke !

charlie is listed on CWG as being in A Bty although in an earlier group photograph

C Bty was hand written onto the picture, did they move around after promotion?

Tony

Paul/Chris

I am currentley researching my local parishes war dead, one of the men on there i have not started yet was in C/149bde a Gunner W Rowbottom who died on the 7th June 1917, Any info would be well appreciated. Also i am always going through microfilms of old local newspapers please let me know if i can assist. Also forgive my ignorance why the ' County Palatine' I live in the NW and have never heard that before

cheers Nick

If any of you need research assistance with Royal Artillery officers feel free to contact me. I have a 50,000+ name computer database of Great War Royal Artillery officers that is tied to the 2000+ books in my library and would be happy to do look-ups for you. Dick Flory

Paul

Here are a few names that I have got.

A149[/size]955CLARKSON, CHARLES ARTHUR, C A Shoeing Smith9316Royal Field Artillery07/03/191725VIII. A. 194.A1497JOHNSON , C G Second Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery07/06/191719I. G. 1.Brandhoek Mil CemC14923GREENWOOD , A T Bombardier24759Royal Field Artillery28/06/1916u/kI. D. 26.Bronfay Farm Mil Cem, Bray sur SommeC14945HEDDERMAN, CHRISTOPHER, C BombardierL/15865Royal Field Artillery15/10/191627L. 35.Bernafay Wood BritCem, MontaubonC14937ELLIOTT , P L Gunner9970Royal Field Artillery07/06/1917u/kII. G. 14.Brandhoek Mil CemD14963LASLETT, HENRY CLINTON, H C Second Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery02/08/191623Plot 2. Row A. Grave 23.Corbie Communal Cem ExtD14962SPURWAY, ARTHUR GEORGE, A G Serjeant743Royal Field Artillery05/05/191826III. B. 10.D14926WILKINSON , J W Corporal11050Royal Field Artillery24/05/191826III. B. 3.14916RENSHAW , W Driver10228Royal Field Artillery20/01/1916UnknownPlot I. Row C. Grave 30.Corbie Communal Cem 14927YATES, FRANK, F CorporalL/10115Royal Field Artillery02/02/191626Plot I. Row D. Grave 38.Corbie Communal Cem 149106DAY, ROBERT WILLIAM, R W Gunner21714Royal Field Artillery11/05/191832IX. B. 68.

One of the 97 old boys of Bury Grammar school who died in the war was:

Bombardier William Pyne ROSTRON

"B" Bty. 149th Bde.

Date of Death: 10/12/1917

Service No: L/9634

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Emily Rostron, of 44, Dawson St., Chesham, Bury, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. N. 22.

Cemetery: MENIN ROAD SOUTH MILITARY CEMETERY

I have visited the grave and a few years ago a Forum Pal kindly sent me a copy of the war diary. He will be added to my Bury Virtual War memorial in due course (just finishing off 1916).

• 5 months later...
Paul/Chris

I am currentley researching my local parishes war dead, one of the men on there i have not started yet was in C/149bde a Gunner W Rowbottom who died on the 7th June 1917, Any info would be well appreciated. Also i am always going through microfilms of old local newspapers please let me know if i can assist. Also forgive my ignorance why the ' County Palatine' I live in the NW and have never heard that before

cheers Nick

I'll try and dig out all the details I have so we can post it on here. Nice to know someone else is interested in my Gt. Grandfather :)

Also, just noticed from some of the posted details above:

As he was a Wiganer (Pemberton) then I'm a tiny bit confused as to why he was in the 149th and not the 151st...

Stu.

• 3 weeks later...
hi paul

hope it helps

Tony

Hi Tony

Ive just started researching my grandads war record. It is very possible that he knew your Charlie. He joined in Hollinwood Oldham on 22/02/15. He then went to St Annes on the 23rd, same as Charlie. Gunner Harry Clitheroe no L9525. 149th RFA 30 division C Battery. He servived the war.

Steve Clitheroe.

I am currently working on the War Diary of Captain William Henry Bloor, who served, mainly in C/149 of the R.F.A. (Also briefly in A/151 and C/148) The Diary covers the period of active service from Nov 28th 1915 until he was killed in action near the Menin Road on Jan 3rd 1918 and buried at Reninghelst.

The diary, as it stands, was printed by my grandfather, Billy Bloor's brother, Harold.

So far, I have transcribed the diary onto my computer, together with a diary written by Billy's youngest brother Rex (Captain R.P. Bloor M.C.), which describes their experiences in the Denbighshire Hussars, and an additional diary by Billy, which describes his experiences whilst attached for training purposes to 127th Battery 29th Brigade 4th Division near Colincamps.

I have discovered a printer who will store electronic versions of books and supplies individual copies at a very reasonable cost, so I propose printing an expanded version of the diary with notes and index to make it accessible to future generations of my family.

I would particularly like to know why Billy was invalided home from November 1916 to July 1917, and I would like to fill the gap in the diary record from December 28th 1917 to January 1918.

In the meantime, I am now able to search the diary for the names of particular officers and men.

Regards

Chris Bloor

Chris

Is there any mention of Gunner L9525 Harry Clitheroe 149th RFA 30 Division C battery. He was my grandfather who served from Feb 1915 until 1920.

Thanks Steve Clitheroe

• 2 weeks later...

I have been researching my great uncle and his brother's war. Gunner PJ Dean was with 15th DAC and Charles Park Dean L18758 was with B Battery 151st County Palatine Howitzer which became D 149th. His daughter has a picture of 2 letters written by a French General named Boichut - one in French and a translation - given to every member of the brigade awarding Major Bickerdike and officers and men the Croix de Guerre with Silver Star for action in the battle of Moreuil. Anyone know anything?

Hi all,

One of our Great Grandmothers brothers served in D Battery of 149 Brigade and was killed in action on the 5th of September 1918. His name was Albert Henry Boxall and his rank was driver. I am very interested in any research done on the 149 Brigade if any one can help me with info that would be great.

regards Aaron.

A cross-reference is needed from this thread to another which is headlined something like '30th Division', as I have just added information there about a 1922 book 'Field Guns in France' (republished in 1995), which could interest those who have posted here. I cannot execute the link, but it should not be difficult to find.

D

A cross-reference is needed from this thread to another which is headlined something like '30th Division', as I have just added information there about a 1922 book 'Field Guns in France' (republished in 1995), which could interest those who have posted here. I cannot execute the link, but it should not be difficult to find.

D

Daggers, link here I think

Ian

If any of you need research assistance with Royal Artillery officers feel free to contact me. I have a 50,000+ name computer database of Great War Royal Artillery officers that is tied to the 2000+ books in my library and would be happy to do look-ups for you. Dick Flory

Dick

My uncle, Cecil Exley served in the RFA as Gunner in 108th brigade from 1916 and was commissioned in 1917. He served in 149th brigade RFA from November 1917 until the end of the war. He gets one mention in the War Diary for the 149th when he joined them as Lieutenant (according to the War Diary although I think that it should have read 2nd Lieutenant) on 29 September 1917. As he didn't keep a diary nor talk about his experiences I don't know anything of his experiences.

From contemporary records - particularly the War Diary for the 149th and a book('Moments of Memory') by Herbert Asquith(son of the Liberal Prime Minister) who was a fellow officer in the brigade I have tried to re-create the events that my uncle might have gone through. Asquith dscribes in quite graphic details his experiences with the brigade until May 1918 when he succumbed to 'flu - possibly too early to be part of the Spanish 'Flu' pandemic that killed so many the following year; Asquith survived his illness but didn't reurn to his unit.

If you have any information about him or perhaps other officers of the same unit during that time I would be interested in hearing about it. In particular what junior offices responsibilities would have been - I've always assumed the main one to be manning OPs but have wondered with his experience as a gunner whether he might have been allocated different duties.

Any information gratefully received.

Ian Kerr

Regards

Chris Bloor

Chris

As an infrequent visitor to this site I have only just read this posting. In terms of additional information about 149th brigade have you read Herbert Asquith's memoirs 'Moments of Memory' ? This is an autobiographical account covering his memories of his father of the same name, the Liberal Prime Minister and his own experiences during the war. From memory he was a Lieutenant in 'C' battery and would have been a contemporary of William. The book is out of print but is available in some libraries - e.g Cambridge University. I had a copy but have passed it on to my cousins - it was their father Cecil Exley that I was researching - he was a junior officer in "A" battery from September 1917 until the end of the war. Although it is unlikely I would be interested in hearing of any mention of my uncle.

Ian Kerr

• 1 month later...
Chris

As an infrequent visitor to this site I have only just read this posting. In terms of additional information about 149th brigade have you read Herbert Asquith's memoirs 'Moments of Memory' ? This is an autobiographical account covering his memories of his father of the same name, the Liberal Prime Minister and his own experiences during the war. From memory he was a Lieutenant in 'C' battery and would have been a contemporary of William. The book is out of print but is available in some libraries - e.g Cambridge University. I had a copy but have passed it on to my cousins - it was their father Cecil Exley that I was researching - he was a junior officer in "A" battery from September 1917 until the end of the war. Although it is unlikely I would be interested in hearing of any mention of my uncle.

Ian Kerr

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=10...s*listing*title

Link to the book. Just ordered a copy (ouch on the postage) and a copy of "Field guns in France" (sp?) which supposedly has some details in there. I'll post anything interesting (when they turn up and I've had a chance to read them :) ).

Stu.

Lieut. Cecil Frederick Exley, RFA SR

Born at Leeds in 1896

Enlisted as a Gunner (Regt. No. 124309) in the RFA and went to France and Flanders on 3 May 1916.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, RFA SR on 26 August 1917

Promoted to Lieutenant, RFA SR on 26 February 1918

In 1920 his address was 6 Victoria Terrace, Belle Vue Road, Leeds

As Lieut. Exley was commissioned into the Special Reserve there is a very good chance that his service papers may be available at The National Archives under WO 339.

As a subaltern in an RFA battery or brigade he could have had a number of responsibilities:

1. Section commander or section officer. The guns of RFA batteries were divided into sections and each section was commanded by a lieutenant who would have been responsible for the the guns and gunners in that section.

2. Forward observer: During the later part of the war subalterns were responsible for manning observation posts and calling in and correcting the fire of his battery.

3. Signal officer: In charge of the signalers of the battery or brigade and for maintaining the communication lines from the battery to brigade and from the observation posts to the batteries.

4. Brigade orderly officer. The junior staff officer in the headquarters of an artillery brigade.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 8 months later...

Recently established that Mrs H' great grandfather, 9829, Driver William Garner served with the Brigade from 8/3/15 until 31/3/20.

His service papers indicate he spent a few days at 95th Field Ambulance between 25/6/18 and 9/7/18 but there is no indication of reason. I'd be interested in learning if the Brigade had been in action on 25/6 .

John