Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signaller Ernest Grime.

Paul Carter.

If anyone has ANY information relating to Signaller Ernest Grime, could you please send it to me.

Ernest was a Signaller with "D" Battery, 149th. (County Palatine) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery and died of his wounds on 9th. October, 1918 after a gas shell exploded at the entrance to his dugout.

So far I know when and where he was born, the names of his parents, where he went to Sunday School, his place of work until he joined up and where he and his parents lived until he was killed.

What I DON'T know is if Ernest had any Brothers or Sisters, or if there are any relatives, Cousins, Nieces or Nephews etc., who are living.

Ernest was born in Darwen, Lancashire and his home at the time of his death was in Entwistle, Lancashire. He is buried in La Laiterie Military Cemetery, near Ypres.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but if anyone has ANY information or photographs I would be extremely thankful if you would send them to me.

Regards,

Paul Carter.

Guest peter johnson

Have you tried the local referance library, my great uncle was from Colne, Lancs and the library were very helpful with a picture, from memorial book and papers from that period. Always worth a try.

Hello Peter,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I went to Darwen Library and, through the Rolls of Honour, I have found out quite a bit of information about Ernest.

Regards,

Paul.

Peter.

You have probably checked the 1901 census. If not it gives him as living with his parents James and Ann at 17 Hob Lane, Edgworth. He did not have any brothers or sisters living with him then, but as he was only 4 there may have been some later.

There are quite a few Grime's listed as having been born in Darwen.

Why not try the local phone book and make some enquiries.

John

Dear John,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I do have a copy of the 1901 Census. Since the Census has been completed, Ernest and his parents moved just up the road to 9, Holly Bank, Entwistle. I have been to this house although not inside it unfortunately. It is a very small place so I guess there were no more children. Ernest was, until his death, engaged to the lady who was later to become my Grandmother.

Mnay thanks for replying to my post.

Regards,

Paul.