Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aviators born or connected to the Poole/Bournemouth Dorset Area

morten

Hello. I'm researching WW1 servicemen who were either born or who had connections to the Poole/Bournemouth Area. I have, however, only come across a few local RFC/RAF men. I have looked through the local paper, visited memorials etc. and I would appreciate advice of where to look next. Are there any online databases for the RFC/RAF that can be searched by keyword? I would also, of course, be very interested to hear from any descendants of these men. Many thanks. Regards Morten

Hi Morton

One of the batches of records that Ancestry has is from the, and I can't remember the correct title, Royal Avaition Club or Royal Aeronautical Club or some such like, it contains details of 100's if not 1000's of men who they tested for their pilots license and in many cases there are photo's as well.

If you search Ancestry for all items relating to Gerald Featherstone Knight, the record relating to him will be amongst those brought up and from there you can look for others, I seem to remember that you can search by place of birth.

If you do not have ancestry try your local library and if they don't have the Library Subscription ask them why not, tell them its invaluable to reseachers of local history!

Regards

IanC

Morton,

here are a couple to get you going:

Oakley, William Edward Boiveu FSL

Born 25th November 1898, from Bournemouth, Dorset.

Joined the RNAS on 3rd December 1916.

RAeC Certificate No.4686, gained 13th April 1917 at Redcar.

Under instruction at Crystal Palace from 3rd December 1915.

Under instruction at Redcar from 20th January 1917.

Under instruction at Cranwell from 28th April 1917.

Dover on 26th June 1917.

No.12 Squadron from 6th July 1917.

No. 9 Squadron from 11th July 1917 to 15th October 1917, when came down in enemy territory and was captured at Nieuport.

Prisoner Of War at Karlsrue.

Combat record with No.9 Squadron:

17/7/17 Albatros scout Nieuport Piers 05.10 Out of control *

11/9/19 Albatros scout Near Ostende 18.30 Out of control

15/9/17 2-seater Westende 13.00 Out of control

* shared with Le Boutillier, Pierce, MacDonald and Freeland

Somewhere in my filing system I have an address for Oakley from the WW1 period. If you find out any more, especially a photograph I would be eternally grateful.

Sgt EJ Elton from Wimborne. He was the most successful NCO pilot in the RFC. Look him up in Above The Trenches. Has also been Featured in the Daily Echo. Still has living relatives in the area.

A number of pilots did their Royal Aero Club training and certification at Bournemouth Aerodrome, the one that was at Redhill racecourse, not Wallisdown.

Good luck.

Mike

Ancestry has a section called Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificates, 1910-1950 . Nine individuals appear when Poole is searched as a place of birth and only one of those was old enough to have served in the war but although he obtained his Cert. in 1913 he died in March 1914. So, nothing for you in that database. 82 in the similar Bournemouth section and 17 were old enough. Might be worth a look.

With best wishes,

David

Are these of any help?

C F B Bassil, 90 Poole Rd Westbourne, 2nd LT RFC, Cert 10/6/17

S G Dalton, born Bournemouth, Capt. Yorks Regt. Cert 29/10/15

With best wishes,

David

And:

B D Frost, Clovelly, Bournemouth West, b 1897. 2nd Lt Essex Regt. Cert 3/4/16

O G Hake, b 1897 Bournemouth, Cert 15/10/14 Killed 14/5/16 Eastern Counties

A V Hobbs, b 1894 Bournemouth, Cert 2/4/15, 2nd Lt RFC KIA France 15/12/15

HOBBS, ALAN VICTOR

Initials: A V

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 3rd Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: General List

Secondary Unit Text: and

Date of Death: 15/12/1915

Additional information: Son of Mr. A.E. Hobbs, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 4.

Cemetery: RAISMES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

S C T Littlewood, b 1895 Bournemouth, Cert 16/9/15

E R Maddox, Glenottney, Poole Rd B/mth, b 1898 Bournemouth, Cert 6/8/17, 2nd Lt.

K K Muspratt, Tantallon, Madeira Rd B/mth, b 1897 B/mth, Cert 27/4/16. Died of injuries 3/18

MUSPRATT, KEITH KNOX

Initials: K K

Unit Text: 56th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Dorsetshire Regiment

Date of Death: 16/03/1918

Awards: M C

Additional information: Son of Charles Drummond Muspratt, M.D., of II, Madeira Rd., Bournemouth, and the late Mabel Muspratt (nee Knox). Also served in France.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 5. 37 N.

Cemetery: BOURNEMOUTH (WIMBORNE ROAD) CEMETERY

T./2nd Lt. Keith Knox Muspratt, Gen. List

and R.F.C.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He showed great initiative throughout the offensive operations, and seldom failed to become engaged with enemy aircraft when on offensive patrol. He destroyed several hostile machines. He took part in over forty offensive patrols, the majority of which entailed very severe fighting at low altitudes under heavy fire, and he set a magnificent example by his skill, gallantry, and initiative.

This is getting quite interesting. Glad you brought the topic up!

David

Hi Morton

One of the batches of records that Ancestry has is from the, and I can't remember the correct title, Royal Avaition Club or Royal Aeronautical Club or some such like, it contains details of 100's if not 1000's of men who they tested for their pilots license and in many cases there are photo's as well.

If you search Ancestry for all items relating to Gerald Featherstone Knight, the record relating to him will be amongst those brought up and from there you can look for others, I seem to remember that you can search by place of birth.

If you do not have ancestry try your local library and if they don't have the Library Subscription ask them why not, tell them its invaluable to reseachers of local history!

Regards

IanC

Hello Ian. Many thanks for your reply. I can access Ancestry through my local library and will search the records that you mention. Thanks again for getting me off the ground! Regards Morten

Morton,

here are a couple to get you going:

Oakley, William Edward Boiveu FSL

Born 25th November 1898, from Bournemouth, Dorset.

Joined the RNAS on 3rd December 1916.

RAeC Certificate No.4686, gained 13th April 1917 at Redcar.

Under instruction at Crystal Palace from 3rd December 1915.

Under instruction at Redcar from 20th January 1917.

Under instruction at Cranwell from 28th April 1917.

Dover on 26th June 1917.

No.12 Squadron from 6th July 1917.

No. 9 Squadron from 11th July 1917 to 15th October 1917, when came down in enemy territory and was captured at Nieuport.

Prisoner Of War at Karlsrue.

Combat record with No.9 Squadron:

17/7/17 Albatros scout Nieuport Piers 05.10 Out of control *

11/9/19 Albatros scout Near Ostende 18.30 Out of control

15/9/17 2-seater Westende 13.00 Out of control

* shared with Le Boutillier, Pierce, MacDonald and Freeland

Somewhere in my filing system I have an address for Oakley from the WW1 period. If you find out any more, especially a photograph I would be eternally grateful.

Sgt EJ Elton from Wimborne. He was the most successful NCO pilot in the RFC. Look him up in Above The Trenches. Has also been Featured in the Daily Echo. Still has living relatives in the area.

A number of pilots did their Royal Aero Club training and certification at Bournemouth Aerodrome, the one that was at Redhill racecourse, not Wallisdown.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm flying high now. If I come across any info or a picture, then I will send it to you. Interesting to hear about Sgt. Elton, especially as I have found some "Wimborne" men actually came from Great Canford or Merley (i.e. Poole). Thanks again. Morten

Ancestry has a section called Royal Aero Club Aviators' Certificates, 1910-1950 . Nine individuals appear when Poole is searched as a place of birth and only one of those was old enough to have served in the war but although he obtained his Cert. in 1913 he died in March 1914. So, nothing for you in that database. 82 in the similar Bournemouth section and 17 were old enough. Might be worth a look.

With best wishes,

David

Thanks David for your help. Most appreciated. Regards. Morten

Are these of any help?

C F B Bassil, 90 Poole Rd Westbourne, 2nd LT RFC, Cert 10/6/17

S G Dalton, born Bournemouth, Capt. Yorks Regt. Cert 29/10/15

With best wishes,

David

Yes, David. I haven't come across either of them. Thanks very much. Regards Morten

And:

B D Frost, Clovelly, Bournemouth West, b 1897. 2nd Lt Essex Regt. Cert 3/4/16

O G Hake, b 1897 Bournemouth, Cert 15/10/14 Killed 14/5/16 Eastern Counties

A V Hobbs, b 1894 Bournemouth, Cert 2/4/15, 2nd Lt RFC KIA France 15/12/15

HOBBS, ALAN VICTOR

Initials: A V

Unit Text: 3rd Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: General List

Date of Death: 15/12/1915

Additional information: Son of Mr. A.E. Hobbs, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 4.

Cemetery: RAISMES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

S C T Littlewood, b 1895 Bournemouth, Cert 16/9/15

E R Maddox, Glenottney, Poole Rd B/mth, b 1898 Bournemouth, Cert 6/8/17, 2nd Lt.

K K Muspratt, Tantallon, Madeira Rd B/mth, b 1897 B/mth, Cert 27/4/16. Died of injuries 3/18

MUSPRATT, KEITH KNOX

Initials: K K

Unit Text: 56th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Dorsetshire Regiment

Date of Death: 16/03/1918

Awards: M C

Additional information: Son of Charles Drummond Muspratt, M.D., of II, Madeira Rd., Bournemouth, and the late Mabel Muspratt (nee Knox). Also served in France.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 5. 37 N.

T./2nd Lt. Keith Knox Muspratt, Gen. List

and R.F.C.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He showed great initiative throughout the offensive operations, and seldom failed to become engaged with enemy aircraft when on offensive patrol. He destroyed several hostile machines. He took part in over forty offensive patrols, the majority of which entailed very severe fighting at low altitudes under heavy fire, and he set a magnificent example by his skill, gallantry, and initiative.

This is getting quite interesting. Glad you brought the topic up!

David

Thanks again David. Regards Morten

The father of my late friend Peter Foote (a well known WW2 aviation historian) was a RFC aviator. I believe an Observer. I have no idea of squadron, but he was slightly wounded by fire from a German machine at some stage. The family home was in Parkstone Road...but I have ABSOLUTELY no other details, I'm afraid.

Of course, if we take "Dorset Area" we mustn't forget Lt. Col. Louis Strange who farmed at Spettisbury.

Interesting, maybe I could stretch Poole Borough's boundary to include Spettisbury? :)

The father of my late friend Peter Foote (a well known WW2 aviation historian) was a RFC aviator. I believe an Observer. I have no idea of squadron, but he was slightly wounded by fire from a German machine at some stage. The family home was in Parkstone Road...but I have ABSOLUTELY no other details, I'm afraid.

Thanks Andy. If I come across any info. then I will pass it on to you. Regards Morten

And:

E F Norris, b 1895 Bournemouth , Cert 28/1/14, accidently killed near Oxford 15/3/18

NORRIS

Initials: E F

Date of Death: 15/03/1918

Grave/Memorial Reference: F1. 37.

Cemetery: OXFORD (WOLVERCOTE) CEMETERY

E W W Rebbeck, b 1896 Bournemouth, Cert 19/12/15, 2nd Lt 13th KRRC, killed 24/4/16 at Bournemouth

REBBECK, EDWARD WILLIAM WISE

Initials: E W W

Secondary Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Date of Death: 24/04/1916

Additional information: Son of Lilian Cardew (formerly Rebbeck), of Stafford Lodge, 26, Dean Park Rd., Bournemouth, and the late Edward Wise Rebbeck.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 6. 17 N.

W O Watt, b 1878 Bournemouth, Cert 1/8/11. Royal Aero Club card is marked "Deceased" but no indication of when. Was a Capt. British Army, 1911.

And the other six were post-war Certs.

And of those mentioned eight have photos on the Royal Aero Club database: Bassil, Dalton, Littlewood, Maddox, Muspratt, Norris, Rebbeck, and Watt.

And that's the seventeen on the Royal Aero Club database.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

And there are three from Parkstone, all with photos:

D H Bacon, b 1894 Parkstone, Lt ASC, Cert 10/8/16

H L Holland, b 1898 Parkstone, Cert 21/11/16

W E B Oakley, b 1898 Parkstone, Cert 13/4/17, Flight Officer RN

Regards,

David

Morton,

I remember from conversation with the late Frank Cheesman that an ex RNAS 9 Squadron pilot became a maths teacher at Canford School, I presume post WW2 as Frank used to visit him. I'm sorry but I didn't note the name down and studying the roster for 9N doesn't jog my memory.

Mike

G'day David,

You are referring to Lieutenant Colonel Walter Oswald Watt, OBE.

"Toby" Watt was born on 11 February 1878 at Bournemouth, Hampshire, England. His father was Scottish born and Oswald spent ten years in Sydney after his mother’s death when he was aged 1.

He returned to England and was educated at Clifton College, Bristol, and Trinity College, Cambridge before returning to Sydney in 1900. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the NSW Scottish Rifles and was made Aide de Camp to the state governor.

Watt returned to England and gained his aero certificate and then commenced an adventurous life in aviation. He spent several months flying his Bleriot XI in Egypt and travelled to France in 1914.

At the outbreak of the war he joined the Aviation Militaire section of the French Foreign Legion as a "soldat de deuxieme" which was equivalent to a third class mechanic. He was much loved by his fellow squadron mates and was nicknamed the "Captain" as he could be an officer as he was not French born. Whilst with the famous Maurice Farman no.44 squadron, he was awarded the Légion d'honneur and the Croix de Guerre.

He transferred to the AFC and was posted to 1 AFC in Palestine. He was Commanding Officer of 2 Squadron AFC during its initial stint in France and then was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel to command 1 Wing AFC.

He was fair in his dealing with the men. As an example of his care for the men he served with, after the War, Watt ran a private repatriation unit from his office in Sydney, to give "his boys" a good start in civilian life. He was President of the Australian Aero Club and due to his insistence had several Acts of Parliament passed reinforcing aviation safety standards.

This great man lost his life on the morning of the 21st of May 1921. While collecting firewood on Bilgola Beach. It is thought he slipped on rocks hitting his head and drowning in less than a foot of water.

His aviation legacy lives on today through the Oswald Watt Medal for aviation to aviators who have shown pioneering spirit in aviation.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Sources: National Archives of Australia, Australian War Memorial, Highest Traditions, Oswald Watt : A Tribute to His Memory By a Few of His Friends.

And:

E F Norris, b 1895 Bournemouth , Cert 28/1/14, accidently killed near Oxford 15/3/18

NORRIS

Initials: E F

Date of Death: 15/03/1918

Grave/Memorial Reference: F1. 37.

Cemetery: OXFORD (WOLVERCOTE) CEMETERY

E W W Rebbeck, b 1896 Bournemouth, Cert 19/12/15, 2nd Lt 13th KRRC, killed 24/4/16 at Bournemouth

REBBECK, EDWARD WILLIAM WISE

Initials: E W W

Secondary Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Date of Death: 24/04/1916

Additional information: Son of Lilian Cardew (formerly Rebbeck), of Stafford Lodge, 26, Dean Park Rd., Bournemouth, and the late Edward Wise Rebbeck.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 6. 17 N.

W O Watt, b 1878 Bournemouth, Cert 1/8/11. Royal Aero Club card is marked "Deceased" but no indication of when. Was a Capt. British Army, 1911.

And the other six were post-war Certs.

And of those mentioned eight have photos on the Royal Aero Club database: Bassil, Dalton, Littlewood, Maddox, Muspratt, Norris, Rebbeck, and Watt.

And that's the seventeen on the Royal Aero Club database.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

David

Thanks very much for the information. Regards. Morten

G'day David,

You are referring to Lieutenant Colonel Walter Oswald Watt, OBE.

"Toby" Watt was born on 11 February 1878 at Bournemouth, Hampshire, England. His father was Scottish born and Oswald spent ten years in Sydney after his mother's death when he was aged 1.

He returned to England and was educated at Clifton College, Bristol, and Trinity College, Cambridge before returning to Sydney in 1900. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the NSW Scottish Rifles and was made Aide de Camp to the state governor.

Watt returned to England and gained his aero certificate and then commenced an adventurous life in aviation. He spent several months flying his Bleriot XI in Egypt and travelled to France in 1914.

At the outbreak of the war he joined the Aviation Militaire section of the French Foreign Legion as a "soldat de deuxieme" which was equivalent to a third class mechanic. He was much loved by his fellow squadron mates and was nicknamed the "Captain" as he could be an officer as he was not French born. Whilst with the famous Maurice Farman no.44 squadron, he was awarded the Légion d'honneur and the Croix de Guerre.

He transferred to the AFC and was posted to 1 AFC in Palestine. He was Commanding Officer of 2 Squadron AFC during its initial stint in France and then was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel to command 1 Wing AFC.

He was fair in his dealing with the men. As an example of his care for the men he served with, after the War, Watt ran a private repatriation unit from his office in Sydney, to give "his boys" a good start in civilian life. He was President of the Australian Aero Club and due to his insistence had several Acts of Parliament passed reinforcing aviation safety standards.

This great man lost his life on the morning of the 21st of May 1921. While collecting firewood on Bilgola Beach. It is thought he slipped on rocks hitting his head and drowning in less than a foot of water.

His aviation legacy lives on today through the Oswald Watt Medal for aviation to aviators who have shown pioneering spirit in aviation.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Sources: National Archives of Australia, Australian War Memorial, Highest Traditions, Oswald Watt : A Tribute to His Memory By a Few of His Friends.

And many thanks from me too. Morten

And there are three from Parkstone, all with photos:

D H Bacon, b 1894 Parkstone, Lt ASC, Cert 10/8/16

H L Holland, b 1898 Parkstone, Cert 21/11/16

W E B Oakley, b 1898 Parkstone, Cert 13/4/17, Flight Officer RN

Regards,

David

Many thanks for all your help. The Royal Aero Club Database is not available on the library edition of Ancestry. Regards Morten.

Morton,

I remember from conversation with the late Frank Cheesman that an ex RNAS 9 Squadron pilot became a maths teacher at Canford School, I presume post WW2 as Frank used to visit him. I'm sorry but I didn't note the name down and studying the roster for 9N doesn't jog my memory.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Regards. Morten