Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade 8th Btn March 1918

Paddocksjen

My grandfather Thomas Moore was a Rifleman in the above battalion and posted as missing presumed dead on 22 March 1918. His service number was S/34310. My grandmother was told there had been no enemy action. His name is on the Pozieres Memorial which I am planning to visit and want to know where he would have been stationed in France on the date he died.

Jen,

I am afraid that your grandmother was not informed of the correct details. The 8th RB where involved in action on the 22nd where they were positioned N. of Jussy on the canal bank. I will post the details a little later when I am by my notes on this action for you.

Andy

Jen,

The battalion war diary reads as follows:-

22nd.

Battalion in position North of Jussy on Canal Bank disposed as follows on a front of about 2700 yards. "A" Coy on right, "C" Coy centre, "D" Coy left with "B" Coy in Reserve at Flavy le Martel. In touch on the left with the 20th Division and on the right with 5th Lancers and 43rd Infantry Brigade. Enemy appears at about 7am. Two platoons of "B" (Reserve) Coy brought into front line between "C" and "D" Coy's, other two platoons take up position along Chateau Road.

At 9am enemy patrol attempted to cross canal but driven off. Enemy put down a heavy machine gun barrage all day, especially down Chateau Road and enfilading Canal Bank. During the afternoon enemy artillery shelled area between Canal Bank and Flavy. Heavy casualties to Battalion sustained. At dusk enemy attempted to cross canal in force, but were driven off by "D" Coy with Lewis guns. Enemy sustained heavy casualties. About midnight enemy patrol crossed canal, three of this patrol captured, remainder killed.

Andy

Jen,

This period of time was quite a strain on the 8th RB, at 1pm on the 22nd the Divisional record notes that during the morning the 9th Rifle Brigade (Reserve) was sent up to reinforce the 41st Infantry Brigade with the object of relieving the strain on the 8th Rifle Brigade who had suffered terrific casualties.

On the 1st March 1918 the 8th Rifle Brigade's fighting strength was 16 officers and 354 men, by the 31st March they had suffered casualties amounting to 11 officers and 327 men and parts of two entrenching battalions were placed in the 8th RB's ranks as the battalion as was, had virtually ceased to exist.

Andy

Jen,

This period of time was quite a strain on the 8th RB, at 1pm on the 22nd the Divisional record notes that during the morning the 9th Rifle Brigade (Reserve) was sent up to reinforce the 41st Infantry Brigade with the object of relieving the strain on the 8th Rifle Brigade who had suffered terrific casualties.

On the 1st March 1918 the 8th Rifle Brigade's fighting strength was 16 officers and 354 men, by the 31st March they had suffered casualties amounting to 11 officers and 327 men and parts of two entrenching battalions were placed in the 8th RB's ranks as the battalion as was, had virtually ceased to exist.

Andy

Andy

Thank you so much for all the information. My mother and grandmother have both passed away now but I am sure they would be relieved to hear that he was more likely killed in action rather than the awful uncertainty of not knowing what had happened that they lived with all their lives.My sister and I are visiting the Pozieres memorial in May so we will try to find the places you mention. He was 34 when he died and a butcher by trade. He was only called up in 1917 at a time when they were getting desperate for more men. Thanks again Jen

Andy

Thank you so much for all the information. My mother and grandmother have both passed away now but I am sure they would be relieved to hear that he was more likely killed in action rather than the awful uncertainty of not knowing what had happened that they lived with all their lives.My sister and I are visiting the Pozieres memorial in May so we will try to find the places you mention. He was 34 when he died and a butcher by trade. He was only called up in 1917 at a time when they were getting desperate for more men. Thanks again Jen

Andy

I have just looked up Jussy on the map and it appears to be very near Metz. Is it normal for a soldiers name to be on a memorial so far away from where he was in action?.I found out from the War graves commission that his name was on the memorial at Poziers near Albert so I assume that is correct. Have I got the wrong Jussy?.

Jen,

Look SSW of St. Quentin, the canal bank was the Crozat Canal.

Andy

Jen,

Look SSW of St. Quentin, the canal bank was the Crozat Canal.

Andy

Again many thanks, as my husband says 'women are no good with maps'! We should be able to include that in our visit in May.I can't tell you how grateful I am.

Best wishes Jen

Jen,

From the Official History 1918, Volume 1.

post-1871-1238173365.jpg