Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ZZ Reinforcements

BJanman

Hi

I've come across a couple of service records that state "transferred to ZZ Reinforcements". I've googled, done a search here and checked the Long, Long Trail but cannot find any other reference to this, does anyone know what this means?

Many thanks

Barbara

relates to Z reserve perhaps ?

Hello all

It is unlikely to refer to Z Reservists, since these were men discharged at the end of hostilities with a theoretical obligation for recall. They would not therefore be looked on as reinforcements.

Might it be a mis-reading of 22 ? Most Corps had a Reinforcement Camp to which men were posted temporarily before joining units, so this could be the one for XXII Corps. I think these postings happened quite a lot in Feb 1918, when a lot of infantry battalions were being disbanded.

Ron

Hello all

It is unlikely to refer to Z Reservists, since these were men discharged at the end of hostilities with a theoretical obligation for recall. They would not therefore be looked on as reinforcements.

Might it be a mis-reading of 22 ? Most Corps had a Reinforcement Camp to which men were posted temporarily before joining units, so this could be the one for XXII Corps. I think these postings happened quite a lot in Feb 1918, when a lot of infantry battalions were being disbanded.

Ron

I believe that Ron's explanation fits the bill.

Regards Cliff. (Ex Z Man circa ,47.)

Hello Ron

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I agree that it will not refer to Z Reservists - shortly after I posted I checked one of the service records again and noted it said "proceeded overseas" so that wouldn't mean the same as 'Discharged to Z Reserve'.

It is definitely "ZZ Reinforcements" because it is printed - looks as if it may have been stamped. The person attested on the 29th August 1915 and was posted to 8 Coy, RAMC. The service record then states ""8" Coy proceeded overseas to join "ZZ Reinforcements", this was on the 2nd August 1916.

Maybe RAMC personnel were sent to a Reinforcement Camp and then posted out to medical units in need of new recruits, going on your explanation. I will do some reading up and see if I can find anything.

Thanks again

Barbara