Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Albert Wilson

Guest jjeffwilson68

Guest jjeffwilson68

I am trying to gather information about the Regiment and the place of my Grandfathers death.

He was pte Albert Wilson army Number 23867.He served with the 15th (service) Bn.Attached.105TM Bty.Sherwood Foresters (Notts And Derbys.)he was killed on the 15th of October 1916 whilst in a trench opposite CUTHBERT CRATER when the mortar he was operating burst killing him and Pte Simpson of Smethick.

The army of the time said that an inquiy was to be held .Unfortunately I have not been able to find any record of this.

If any one knows where Cuthbert crater was or where they were in trench at this time I would be very grateful.

Or any information about the 15th service Bn Sherwood Foresters.

My E:Mail address is JJeffwilson68@aol.com

Any reasonable expenses will be refunded.

Many Thanks

Jeff

I am off to work right now. But tomorrow I will e-mail you a scan I have showing the positions of Cuthbert Crater.

It is situated on the J1 sector of trenches just north of Arras and a little south of Roclincourt. Either side of the Arras - Bailleul Road.

In fact there were three craters blown at the same time in June, 1916. They were known as Cuthbert, Claud and Clarence after a well known music hall song of the time.

I will get back in touch tomorrow

Cheers

Terry

P.S.

I have e-mailed you with a section of trench map as an attachment. However, the e-mail was deemed undeliverable. I used the address you gave.

Late addition. Here is Terry's map:

CuthbertCrater.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jjeffwilson68

Dear Terry ,Many thanx for your information. I have found out why you could not E:Mail me and it has now been fixed. E:Mail address is JJeffwilson68@aol.com

If you know of any way I can trace the Battalion Diaries for the 15th (Service

)Bn. attached 105th Trench Mortar BTY .Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derbys)

Thanx once again

Jeff

Chris

This is an area that also interests me in relation to my great-uncle who was killed outside Roclincourt on 1st July 1916. Indeed Terry Carter was kind enough to send me a copy of this trench map which I have been looking at on and off for the last week or so.

With regard to the photo on the website am I to take it the lane that this was taken from is the one that runs SE down the middle of the scan across Victoria Street and past Kate Crater to Chantecler? Its just that it looks from this photo as if these craters are either side of this lane rather than the Arras-Bailleul road - or is that a trick of the perspective?

Jeff

Incidentally it may be of interest to Jeff that his grandfather is buried in the same cemetery as my great-uncle (Faubourg D'Amiens in Arras). If you have not visited the cemetery let me know and I will e-mail you a couple of photos of it when I get back home next week.

Mike

Hi Jeff

The 15th Sherwood Foresters and 105th Trench Mortar Battery War Diary should be at the Public Record Office, Kew. If its awkward for you to get there then perhaps some kind contributor to this Forum might volunteer to get some pages copied for you or you may have to pay for someone to do it.

Also there should be a copy of the 15th Sherwood Foresters war diary at their Regimental Museum, The Castle, Nottingham.

Regards

Terry

On the top photograph I am standing at Chantecler crossroads looking SW along the lane. You can see the bushes surrounding Claude (right of the lane) and Clarence (left).

On the second one I am on the lane approximately on the spot where it was cut by the second British trench on Terry's map. (Between the front fire trench and the third one where B and C Works were). I am facing ENE or thereabouts. The bushes and chalkmarks are around Claude crater.

The cemetery is on the 'Clarence' side of the road, beween Clarence and the Lemberger Graben, that is, in the old no man's land.