Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Training squadron locations


Recommended Posts

Being no expert on the flyboys, I find tracking down the locations of RFC/RAF training units quite difficult. Is there an existing central reference anywhere?

If not, could we start a list here? Maybe the TDS's too?

I have two I am particularly interested in

39 Training Squadron

45 Training Squadron.

All help gratefully received.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris

Nos 39 and 45 Training Squadrons were both absorbed into No 46 Training Depot Station at Rendcombe.

The table below of TS and TDS locations has lost a bit of form in its conversion from a table, but some sense can be made of it.

TS Wing Group Area Location

No 1 TS See No 29 TDS; nucleus of No 74 Sqn at Northolt on 1 Jul 1917; nucleus of No 88 Sqn at Gosport on 24 Jul 1917

No 2 TS See No 30 TDS

No 3 TS Nucleus of No 86 Sqn at Shoreham on 1 Sep 1917

No 4 TS See No 30 TDS

No 5 TS Based at Wyton, which was downgraded to a ‘Mobilsation Station’

No 6 TS See No 32 TDS; nucleus of No 89 Sqn at Catterick on 24 Jul 1917

No 7 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 8 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 9 TS 8 (Training) Group South Western Gosport

No 10 TS See No 9 TDS; nucleus of No 90 Sqn at Shawbury on 8 Oct 1917

No 11 TS See No 34 TDS

No 12 TS Based at Thetford; the base was allocated to No 4School of Navigation & Bomb Dropping. Disbanded?

No 14 TS See No 38 TDS

No 15 TS See No 39 TDS

No 18 TS See No 32 TDS

No 19 TS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Curragh Camp

No 20 TS See No 40 TDS

No 22 TS 20th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Aboukir

No 23 TS 20th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Aboukir

No 24 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 25 TS Based at Thetford; the base was allocated to No 4 School of Navigation & Bomb Dropping. Disbanded?

No 26 TS Based at Narborough; the base was allocated to the Independent Force. Disbanded?

No 27 TS Nucleus of No 79 Sqn at Gosport on 1 Aug 1917

No 31 TS Based at Wyton, which was downgraded to a ‘Mobilsation Station’

No 34 TS See No 13 TDS

No 36 TS See No 32 TDS; nucleus of No 80 Sqn at Thetford on 1 Aug 1917

No 37 TS See No 39 TDS

No 38 TS See No 45 TDS

No 39 TS See No 46 TDS

No 40 TS 18th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Croydon

No 41 TS See No 47 TDS

No 42 TS See No 42 TDS

No 42 TS 6th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Eastbourne

No 43 TS See No 13 TDS; nucleus for No 95 Sqn at Ternhill on 8 Oct 1917

No 44 TS See No 48 TDS

No 44 TS 27th 12 (Training) Group Midland Waddington

No 45 TS See No 46 TDS

No 47 TS See No 48 TDS

No 48 TS See No 48 TDS

No 49 TS See No 47 TDS

No 50 TS See No 39 TDS

No 51 TS See No 48 TDS

No 53 TS See No 40 TDS

No 56 TS See No 41 TDS

No 58 TS 69th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Suez

No 59 TS See No 45 TDS

No 60 TS See No 34 TDS

No 61 TS See No 46 TDS

No 63 TS 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Redcar

No 64 TS See No 40 TDS

No 67 TS See No 9 TDS

No 68 TS See No 38 TDS

No 69 TS Based at Narborough; the base was allocated to the Independent Force. Disbanded?

No 70 TS See No 29 TDS

No 71 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 72 TS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Beverley

No 74 TS See No 41 TDS

No 75 TS See No 52 TDS

No 85 TS See No 42 TDS

No 87 TS See No 42 TDS

No 90 TS See No 51 TDS

No 91 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 92 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 93 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 95 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 95 TS See No 51 TDS

No 99 TS See No 11 TDS

No 103 TS See No 11 TDS

No 107 TS See No 14 TDS

No 108 TS See No 14 TDS

No 109 TS See No 14 TDS

No 117 TS See No 48 TDS

No 123 TS See No 48 TDS

No 124 TS See No 11 TDS

No 125 TS See No 11 TDS

No 126 TS See No 11 TDS

No 188 (N) TS 53rd Southern Group Home Defence Throwley

No 189 (N) TS 49th Southern Group Home Defence Suttons Farm

No 190 (N) TS 47th Southern Group Home Defence Upwood

No 191 (N) TS 47th Southern Group Home Defence Upwood

No 192 (N) TS 47th Southern Group Home Defence Newmarket

No 198 (N) TS 50th Southern Group Home Defence Rochford

No 201 TS 22 (Operations) Group North Western East Fortune

TDS Wing Group Area Location

No 1 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Wittering

No 2 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Gullane

No 3 TDS 8 (Training) Group South Western Lopcombe Corner

No 4 TDS 37th 13 (Training) Group Midland Hooton Park

No 5 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Easton-on-the-Hill

No 6 TDS 33rd 7 (Training) Group South Western Boscombe

No 7 TDS 39th 3 (Training) Group Midland Feltwell

N0 8 TDS 7th 7 (Training) Group South Western Netheravon

No 9 TDS 29th 13 (Training) Group Midland Shawbury

No 10 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Harling Road

No 11 TDS 33rd 7 (Training) Group South Western Old Sarum

No 12 TDS 7th 7 (Training) Group South Western Netheravon

No 13 TDS 29th 13 (Training) Group Midland Ternhill

No 14 TDS 33rd 8 (Training) Group South Western Lake Down

No 15 TDS 27th 12 (Training) Group Midland Hucknall

No 16 TDS 69th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Abu Sueir

No 17 TDS 32th 26 (Training) Group Egypt El Ferdan

No 18 TDS 32th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Ismailia

No 19 TDS 69th 26 (Training) Group Egypt El Rimal

No 20 TDS 20th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Aboukir

No 21 TDS 8th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Driffield

No 22 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Gormanstown

No 23 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Baldonell

No 24 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Collinstown

No 25 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Tallaght

No 26 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Edzell

No 27 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Crail

No 28 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Weston-on-the-Green

No 29 TDS 8 (Training) Group South Western Beaulieu

No 30 TDS 18th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Northolt

No 31 TDS 26th 3 (Training) Group Midland Fowlmere

No 32 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Montrose

No 33 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Witney

No 34 TDS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Scampton

No 35 TDS 26th 3 (Training) Group Midland Duxford

No 36 TDS 28th 7 (Training) Group South Western Yatesbury

No 37 TDS 28th 7 (Training) Group South Western Yatesbury

No 38 TDS 8th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Tadcaster

No 39 TDS 24th 12 (Training) Group Midland Spittlegate

No 40 TDS 24th 12 (Training) Group Midland Harlaxton

No 41 TDS 56th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern London Colney

No 42 TDS 18th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Hounslow

No 43 TDS 8 (Training) Group South Western Chattis Hill

No 44 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Bicester

No 45 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Rendcombe

No 46 TDS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern South Carlton

No 47 TDS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Doncaster

No 48 TDS 27th 12 (Training) Group Midland Waddington

No 49 TDS 19th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Catterick

No 50 TDS 6th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Eastbourne

No 51 TDS 37th 13 (Training) Group Midland North Shotwick

No 52 TDS 19th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Cramlington

No 54 TDS 56th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Fairlop

No 55 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Narborough

No 56 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Cranwell

No 57 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Cranwell

No 58 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Cranwell

No 59 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Scopwick

No 204 TDS 58th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Eastchurch

No 205 TDS 84th BEF Vendome

No 209 TDS 10 (Operations) Group South Western Lee-on-Solent

No 210 TDS 10 (Operations) Group South Western Calshot

No 212 TDS 84th BEF Vendome

I hope that some of this is useful.

Gareth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gareth, that's brilliant. Thanks very much. Would you mind if I turned it into a page on the LLT - perhaps more easily found there, if I structure it right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

From S.F. Wise Canadian Airmen and the First World War, I gather the following:

Royal Flying Corps (Canada), later Royal Air Force (Canada)

formed early in 1917. There were to be twenty training

squadrons, known as 78 to 97 (Canadian) Reserve Squadrons,

which in June 1917 were redesignated as Canadian Training

Squadrons (CTS). Eventually they were all located in Southern

Ontario, with the exception of those moved temporarily to Fort

Worth, Texas over the winter of 1917 - 1918.

While waiting for nucleus flights to arrive from England, a

unit called 'X' Squadron began flying at Long Branch in February

1917.

79 Squadron began flying at Camp Borden in March 1917. By 10

April Squadrons 78 to 82 were flying there.

In May 'X' Squadron moved to Camp Rathbun, to be joined there

by the new 86 Squadron, while 83, 84, and 87 were at Camp

Mohawk.

By early July Long Branch hosted 'Y' Squadron as well as 88,

89, and 90 Squadrons, previously formed at Deseronto, and 91

Squadron.

In October, 1917, the structure was this:

42 (BORDEN) Wing

No 78 CTS

No 79 CTS

No 81 CTS

No 82 CTS

School of Aerial Gunnery

43 (DESERONTO) Wing

No 80 CTS

No 83 CTS

No 84 CTS

No 85 CTS

No 86 CTS

No 87 CTS

44 (NORTH TORONTO) Wing

No 88 CTS

No 89 CTS

No 90 CTS

No 91 CTS

No 92 CTS

In the spring of 1918 42 Wing moved from Camp Borden to

Deseronto and 44 Wing from North Toronto to Camp Borden.

Between November 1917 and April 1918 42 and 43 Wings were at

Fort Worth Texas. The complex was known as Camp Taliaferro,

with three aerodromes, Hicks, Everman, and Benbrook Fields.

Also under RFC/RAF (Canada) were the 17th, 22nd,27th,28th, and

139th Aero Squadrons, although as the arrangement was a

delicate one I don't know how it stood on official documents.

I hope I have transcribed these accurately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 RESERVE/TRAINING SQUADRON RFC/RAF

BasesFormed in 19TH Wing at Montrose 26.8.1916. Designated as an Elementary Reserve Squadron and establishment at 23.12.1916 set at 18 MF. To 30th Wing 1.6.1916. To South Carlton 3.9.1917 and disbanded into 46 TDS at that station 27.7.1918.

Representative Aeroplanes

Avro 504A 7952, 7956, A518, A527, A549.

Avro 504A/J C4323.

Caudron G.III A2998.

Curtiss JN4 A5161.

MF Se.7 2974, 4018.

MF Se.11 A2480, A2497, A4069, A4077, A4134, A6818, A6834, A6848, A7007, A7008, A7009, A7012, A7013, A7018, A7019, A7020, A7021, B4682.

RAF BE2c 2583.

RAF RE8 A3475.

Sopwith Pup B2228, B6127, C261.

Sopwith F1 Camel B4122, B7301, B7319, B7391, B7433, D1806.

45 RESERVE/TRAINING SQUADRON RFC/RAF

BasesFormed in 18th Wing at London Colney 2.11.1916 with nucleus from 56 Squadron. To South Carlton and 23rd Wing 13.11.1916. Designated as a Higher Reserve Squadron and establishment at 23.12.1916 set at 6 HF + 6 Vickers FB + 6 DH2/FE8. Pushers given up 4.1917. Disbanded into 46 TDS at South Carlton 27.7.1918.

Representative Aeroplanes

Airco DH2 7886, 7940, A2538, A2588, A2609, A2620, A4796, A4992, A4993, A5034, A5035, A5051.

Airco DH5 A9188, A9189, A9190, A9191, A9402, A9441, A9454, B4908.

Avro 504A/J A3359, A3361, A3362, A3363, A3364, A3365, A3367, A3368, A3369, A8501, A8524, A8525, B909, B922, B3192, B3202, B3230, B3250.

Avro 504J/K D7601, E9993.

Bristol Scout D 5574.

HF F.20 A1206, A1209, A1210, A1240.

Nieuport 12 A5184, A5196, A6602.

RAF FE8 A4888, A4909.

Sopwith Pup B891, B1734, B1749, B4126, B5359.

Sopwith F1 Camel B4625, B7314, B9151, B9182, C13, C1608, C1612, C1618, D6466, D6668.

Vickers FB9 5289, 5290, 7817, 7831, 7832, 7834, A1415, A8606, A8607.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 years later...

Gents,

I'm researching Maj Arthur Keen's flying life and have similarly found that digging out detail on Training and Reserve Squadrons is not easy.

My man was briefly with 14 ® Sqn from 27th Dec 1915 and transfered to 18 ® Sqn on 18th January 1916. His letters have him with this unit until July '16 when he joined 70 Sqn and the following month went to France. Letters and a bravery award have Arthur in Montrose (BE2c) and possibly flying this DH2 (A2582). He may have been undertaking advanced training or even instructing.

Given that it wasn't unusual for talented individulas to be 'creamed off' to instruct.

Given that training around this time was not normally extended due to mnpower (pilot) demands from the Front.

post-80669-0-02280700-1352376520_thumb.j

Additionally during a rest tour he was with 34 & 44 ® Sqns from early Dec '16 until April '17 when he was posted to '40 in France.

Does anyone have any thoughts while I sort through the data brought through by Gareth for Chris above?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Hi John, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. Thanks for the information above, I will see if I can grab the book.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Five years later and I am back with another question about training units. Can anyone tell me anything about the location or activities of 93rd and 194th Training Squadrons in the Middle East in 1918?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies

I can help a little with locations. 194 was formed a s a training squadron at El Amriya in Egypt on 9 August 1917 and it disbanded on 21 July 1918 into No16 Training Depot Station.

Source: http://www.rafweb.org/

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2009 at 12:33, Dolphin said:

Chris

Nos 39 and 45 Training Squadrons were both absorbed into No 46 Training Depot Station at Rendcombe.

The table below of TS and TDS locations has lost a bit of form in its conversion from a table, but some sense can be made of it.

TS Wing Group Area Location

No 1 TS See No 29 TDS; nucleus of No 74 Sqn at Northolt on 1 Jul 1917; nucleus of No 88 Sqn at Gosport on 24 Jul 1917

No 2 TS See No 30 TDS

No 3 TS Nucleus of No 86 Sqn at Shoreham on 1 Sep 1917

No 4 TS See No 30 TDS

No 5 TS Based at Wyton, which was downgraded to a ‘Mobilsation Station’

No 6 TS See No 32 TDS; nucleus of No 89 Sqn at Catterick on 24 Jul 1917

No 7 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 8 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 9 TS 8 (Training) Group South Western Gosport

No 10 TS See No 9 TDS; nucleus of No 90 Sqn at Shawbury on 8 Oct 1917

No 11 TS See No 34 TDS

No 12 TS Based at Thetford; the base was allocated to No 4School of Navigation & Bomb Dropping. Disbanded?

No 14 TS See No 38 TDS

No 15 TS See No 39 TDS

No 18 TS See No 32 TDS

No 19 TS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Curragh Camp

No 20 TS See No 40 TDS

No 22 TS 20th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Aboukir

No 23 TS 20th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Aboukir

No 24 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 25 TS Based at Thetford; the base was allocated to No 4 School of Navigation & Bomb Dropping. Disbanded?

No 26 TS Based at Narborough; the base was allocated to the Independent Force. Disbanded?

No 27 TS Nucleus of No 79 Sqn at Gosport on 1 Aug 1917

No 31 TS Based at Wyton, which was downgraded to a ‘Mobilsation Station’

No 34 TS See No 13 TDS

No 36 TS See No 32 TDS; nucleus of No 80 Sqn at Thetford on 1 Aug 1917

No 37 TS See No 39 TDS

No 38 TS See No 45 TDS

No 39 TS See No 46 TDS

No 40 TS 18th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Croydon

No 41 TS See No 47 TDS

No 42 TS See No 42 TDS

No 42 TS 6th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Eastbourne

No 43 TS See No 13 TDS; nucleus for No 95 Sqn at Ternhill on 8 Oct 1917

No 44 TS See No 48 TDS

No 44 TS 27th 12 (Training) Group Midland Waddington

No 45 TS See No 46 TDS

No 47 TS See No 48 TDS

No 48 TS See No 48 TDS

No 49 TS See No 47 TDS

No 50 TS See No 39 TDS

No 51 TS See No 48 TDS

No 53 TS See No 40 TDS

No 56 TS See No 41 TDS

No 58 TS 69th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Suez

No 59 TS See No 45 TDS

No 60 TS See No 34 TDS

No 61 TS See No 46 TDS

No 63 TS 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Redcar

No 64 TS See No 40 TDS

No 67 TS See No 9 TDS

No 68 TS See No 38 TDS

No 69 TS Based at Narborough; the base was allocated to the Independent Force. Disbanded?

No 70 TS See No 29 TDS

No 71 TS See Nos 8 & 12 TDS

No 72 TS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Beverley

No 74 TS See No 41 TDS

No 75 TS See No 52 TDS

No 85 TS See No 42 TDS

No 87 TS See No 42 TDS

No 90 TS See No 51 TDS

No 91 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 92 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 93 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 95 TS Became Wireless Telegraphy School

No 95 TS See No 51 TDS

No 99 TS See No 11 TDS

No 103 TS See No 11 TDS

No 107 TS See No 14 TDS

No 108 TS See No 14 TDS

No 109 TS See No 14 TDS

No 117 TS See No 48 TDS

No 123 TS See No 48 TDS

No 124 TS See No 11 TDS

No 125 TS See No 11 TDS

No 126 TS See No 11 TDS

No 188 (N) TS 53rd Southern Group Home Defence Throwley

No 189 (N) TS 49th Southern Group Home Defence Suttons Farm

No 190 (N) TS 47th Southern Group Home Defence Upwood

No 191 (N) TS 47th Southern Group Home Defence Upwood

No 192 (N) TS 47th Southern Group Home Defence Newmarket

No 198 (N) TS 50th Southern Group Home Defence Rochford

No 201 TS 22 (Operations) Group North Western East Fortune

TDS Wing Group Area Location

No 1 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Wittering

No 2 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Gullane

No 3 TDS 8 (Training) Group South Western Lopcombe Corner

No 4 TDS 37th 13 (Training) Group Midland Hooton Park

No 5 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Easton-on-the-Hill

No 6 TDS 33rd 7 (Training) Group South Western Boscombe

No 7 TDS 39th 3 (Training) Group Midland Feltwell

N0 8 TDS 7th 7 (Training) Group South Western Netheravon

No 9 TDS 29th 13 (Training) Group Midland Shawbury

No 10 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Harling Road

No 11 TDS 33rd 7 (Training) Group South Western Old Sarum

No 12 TDS 7th 7 (Training) Group South Western Netheravon

No 13 TDS 29th 13 (Training) Group Midland Ternhill

No 14 TDS 33rd 8 (Training) Group South Western Lake Down

No 15 TDS 27th 12 (Training) Group Midland Hucknall

No 16 TDS 69th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Abu Sueir

No 17 TDS 32th 26 (Training) Group Egypt El Ferdan

No 18 TDS 32th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Ismailia

No 19 TDS 69th 26 (Training) Group Egypt El Rimal

No 20 TDS 20th 26 (Training) Group Egypt Aboukir

No 21 TDS 8th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Driffield

No 22 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Gormanstown

No 23 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Baldonell

No 24 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Collinstown

No 25 TDS 3rd 11 (Irish) Group Tallaght

No 26 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Edzell

No 27 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Crail

No 28 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Weston-on-the-Green

No 29 TDS 8 (Training) Group South Western Beaulieu

No 30 TDS 18th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Northolt

No 31 TDS 26th 3 (Training) Group Midland Fowlmere

No 32 TDS 20 (Training) Group North Western Montrose

No 33 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Witney

No 34 TDS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Scampton

No 35 TDS 26th 3 (Training) Group Midland Duxford

No 36 TDS 28th 7 (Training) Group South Western Yatesbury

No 37 TDS 28th 7 (Training) Group South Western Yatesbury

No 38 TDS 8th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Tadcaster

No 39 TDS 24th 12 (Training) Group Midland Spittlegate

No 40 TDS 24th 12 (Training) Group Midland Harlaxton

No 41 TDS 56th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern London Colney

No 42 TDS 18th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Hounslow

No 43 TDS 8 (Training) Group South Western Chattis Hill

No 44 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Bicester

No 45 TDS 21st 2 (Training) Group South Eastern Rendcombe

No 46 TDS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern South Carlton

No 47 TDS 23rd 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Doncaster

No 48 TDS 27th 12 (Training) Group Midland Waddington

No 49 TDS 19th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Catterick

No 50 TDS 6th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Eastbourne

No 51 TDS 37th 13 (Training) Group Midland North Shotwick

No 52 TDS 19th 16 (Training) Group North Eastern Cramlington

No 54 TDS 56th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Fairlop

No 55 TDS 35th 3 (Training) Group Midland Narborough

No 56 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Cranwell

No 57 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Cranwell

No 58 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Cranwell

No 59 TDS 59th 12 (Training) Group Midland Scopwick

No 204 TDS 58th 1 (Training) Group South Eastern Eastchurch

No 205 TDS 84th BEF Vendome

No 209 TDS 10 (Operations) Group South Western Lee-on-Solent

No 210 TDS 10 (Operations) Group South Western Calshot

No 212 TDS 84th BEF Vendome

I hope that some of this is useful.

Gareth

I am researching those who are commemorated on our local village war memorial and I have a problem trying to establish where no 35 Training Squadron was based as this waswhere an Edwin Eckett was sent in January 1918. I can't quite fathom out from the above if No.35 TDS 26th 3 (Training) Group Midland Duxford and 35 TS are one and the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 TS was at Port Meadow (Oxford) in January 1918, as a higher Training Squadron for prospective Bristol F2B pilots. 35 TDS didn't form until 17 July 1918, initially at Thetford and moving to Duxford on 21 August, tasked with training day light bombing pilots for DH9s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My man enlisted on 28.12.1917 and was posted to 35 TS on 2.1.1918 as a 2nd Class Aircraft Mechanic and became a 3rd Class AM on 1.4.1918. I am trying to establish what happened to him in order for him to be hospitalised but what I have found out is that he was discharged from the Beaufort War Hospital on 25.5.1918 and died at home and was buried in our local graveyard on 16.2.1919.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, quemerford said:

Death registered at Keynsham: death certificate would be a good start.

Ordered the death certificate yesterday. Great minds think alike  :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect! I suspect he succumbed to the flu epidemic, and that his discharge may have been unrelated.

 

Would be interested to hear however.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, quemerford said:

Perfect! I suspect he succumbed to the flu epidemic, and that his discharge may have been unrelated.

 

Would be interested to hear however.

Will let you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mickdavis said:

35 TS was at Port Meadow (Oxford) in January 1918, as a higher Training Squadron for prospective Bristol F2B pilots. 35 TDS didn't form until 17 July 1918, initially at Thetford and moving to Duxford on 21 August, tasked with training day light bombing pilots for DH9s.

This what another member has posted to me;

 

35 RESERVE/TRAINING SQUADRON RFC/RAF

Bases

Formed in 21st Wing at Filton 1.2.1917. Pre-ordained as a Higher Reserve Squadron and establishment, set 23.12.1916, 6 RE7 + 6 Bristol F2B + 6 Avro. To Northolt and 18th Wing 6.2.1917. Given temporary HD duty over the summer of 1917. To Port Meadow and 21st Wing 16.12.1917. Disbanded into 44 TDS at Port Meadow 15.8.1918.

Commanding Officers

Major L Henderson.

Representative Aeroplanes

AMC DH6 B2817, C7222.

Avro 504A/J 7718, A5903, A8505, A8515.

AW FK3 A1484.

Bristol F2A A3314, A3325, A3332, A3344, A3345, A3351.

Bristol F2B A7103, A7122, A7135, A7136, A7173, A7180, A7212, A7218, A7238, A7249, A7263, A7267, A7273, B1140, B1159, B1172, B8919, B8921, C830, C831, C897, C4647, C4660, C4674, C4804, C4805, C4812, C4813, C4830, C4833.

MF Se.11 B4759.

RAF BE2c 4442.

RAF BE2d 5747, 5824.

RAF BE2e 6263, 6296, 6755, 7207, A2853, A2952, A3060, A8637, A8681, B746, B4442.

RAF FE2b 7212.

RAF RE7 2194.

RAF RE8 A3556, A3557, A3653, A3748, A3877, A3892, A4192, A4511, A4653, A4654, A4655, B739.

RAF RE9 A4600.

Unit Marking

Red & white chequerboard on the noses of DH6 and F2B at Portmeadow.

44 TRAINING DEPOT STATION RAF

Base

Formed in 21st Wing at Port Meadow 15.8.1918, ex 35 and 71 TS. To Bicester in 21st Wing 1.10.1918. Autumn 1918 establishment 36 Bristol F2B + 36 Avro. Re-designated 44 Training Squadron 8.1919.

Commanding Officers

Representative Aeroplanes

Avro 504J/K D2123, E1743, E4252, E4336, F8749, F9817.

Bristol F2B A7238, B826, C759, C826, C830, C897, C4675, C4779, C4788, D7987, D8012, F4313.

Sopwith Pup B6128.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 15:14, quemerford said:

Perfect! I suspect he succumbed to the flu epidemic, and that his discharge may have been unrelated.

 

Would be interested to hear however.

Edwin died of phthisis pulmonalis - TB or 'consumption' - on 19th February 1919 at his parents home in Cossham Street, Mangotsfield. Present at his death was his sister Maud Palmer (nee Eckett) of St. James' Street, Mangotsfield 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Edwin died of phthisis pulmonalis - TB or 'consumption' - on 19th February 1919 at his parents home in Cossham Street, Mangotsfield. Present at his death was his sister Maud Palmer (nee Eckett) of St. James' Street, Mangotsfield 

 

Many thanks - one forgets the many ways people died at that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

Chris

I have browsed significant  archived items and would be interested to continue research for

the following  Air Mechanic 3rd Class 

 

Frederick L MOORE - RFC Service No. 87470
The published Service Record indicates 
a Training Wing 5 Stn.39 Wing. 

Engagement 16/11/1915 age 19 years.
Civilan Profession - Photographer 
Service Trade - Photographer

BEF - Duration of War.
Transferred to RAF 1 April 1918 Service to be confirmed 
Further information on his special unit would be appreciated

Jean Bennett

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys

 

Sorry to be reviving an old thread here but I'm looking for information on a Reserve Squadron a relation of mine (T.Capt. Robert R. Reeder, Manchester Reg, RFC) trained with.

 

His records say after transfer to the RFC he went to Reading (on 18/9/16) then to Eygpt, Mid East Bgde (on 11/12/16), to 15 RS (on 15/4/17), finally to 53 Sq, France (on 25/4/17).

 

Does anyone have any idea at what point and where he would have done his flying training?  10 days at 15 RS (I guess Reserve Squadron??) does not seem like enough time to get his wings so I assume he trained in Egypt?

I'm guessing Reading would be in reference to No.1 School of Military Aeronautics so I would presume the next posting would be to a Training Squadron. I see that there were 7 training schools in Egypt in 1917, do any records of these exist?

 

Any assistance would be most appreciated

 

cheers!

Nick

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...