Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

East Africa

Hello,

I'm looking for some help on Major Charles Joseph Ross DSO, he formed Ross' Scouts 1914 and fought in German East Africa, the Scouts disbanded late 1914 and I belive he had involvement with 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, record of his 1914/15 Star Medal Card (PRO, London #1380), endorsed for the "East African Mounted Rifles" unfortunately the War and Victory medals only bear his name and rank but make no mention of a unit. War office Medal Roll 329/2343 shows his unit as "Ross' Scouts". In the remarks colum on the PRO Medal Card is the notation Trans E.A.S.C. Major ?? is this a unit??

Regards Roscoe

E.A.S.C. according to my reference book it is the East Africa Supply Corps.

Regards

John

Anthony

I believe he had involvement with 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

Unfortunately, if he did, he didn't get a mention in the battalion war diary, sorry :(

Steve

Thanks for your comments John, Nigel and Steve. John I would be interested in the book you mention, I think its unlikely only because he was near illiterate so paper work would not have suited him??? Thanks for your welcome Nigel I have some info from a book Military Operations East Africa you should see this on your Email. Thanks Steve for your look in the Battalion Diary, I have always been interested in seeing a copy, I will keep following the Cherry Kearton clue as I think the answer may be with him, I recently came across some of his original and signed photographs that he gave to Charles.

Regards Anthony :rolleyes: