Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MANCHESTER REGIMENT (FORMERLY)

ralphjd

Good afternoon all, My mate is after any info on Charles Arthur Kirkham 29532 11th Batt East Lancashire Regt formerly 36093 Manchester Regt. We know he is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cem (any one have a pic of his headstone)? Trying to establish when and which Manchester Battalion he enlisted with, when/where and what were the injuries sustained leading him to be posted to the East Lancs. Can anyone shed more light on this lad ? grateful for any info regardless of size. Cheers. Ralph.

Ralph

The transfer to the East Lancs may not have been propmpted by a return from wounding.

The 295** number sequence is a transfer of Manchesters to the East Lancs 2nd and 8th Battalions. The Manchesters are a mixed bag of numbers including four figure TFs.

The earliest fatality in the number sequence is 10 November 1916 - 29530 formerly Mancs 16493.

Mel

Mel, Many thanks on behalf of my friend Paul, a little more information he can now ingest. Regards Ralph.

29506,509,510,523,527,530,533 and 536 are transferees from the Mancs to the 8th Battalion and all killed between November 1916 and May 1917.

And all in alphanumeric surname order!

Mel

Ralph

Presumably this group arrived in France anticipating they'd be joining a Bn of Mancs in the field but, after the early Somme losses, they were divvied up between other regiments.

John

Once again, thanks chaps. By the way John I got my pic of the memorial at St Georges Chapel the other week end (Harold Lowcock). Ralph.

Ralph

A little bit more - the 360xx - 361xx Mancs were either mobilised (if Derby Scheme men) or attested in May 1916.

A couple of examples 36086 - 12 May 1916 and 36115 - 13 May 1916.

Completed training with the 25th Reserve Battalion and the ones sent to F&F arrived 30/8/16 or 1/9/16 - all were transfered to othe regiments via the IBD within a few days.

So the timetable for your man is pretty much:

12 May1916 mobilised/attested

1/9/16 arrived in France badged and numbered as a Mancs

3/9/16 transferred to 8th Battalion East Lancs

and transferred at some point to 11th East Lancs before death.

Regards

Mel

LLT confirms that the 8th Battalion was disbanded in Feb 1918 and all officers and men were transferred to the 11th Battalion. Dix points :P

Mel

Ralph

IBD is Infantry Base Depot, basically a transit camp for receipt of new drafts etc.

Regards

Steve

Ralph

The war diaries of the 8th Battalion for the period 3/9/16 to 21/2/18 covering the Somme, Arras and Third Ypres and the 11th Battalion for 21/2/18 to 2/5/18 will provide the full story of your friend's relative.

It looks as if the wounding that led to his death probably occurred around Hazebrouck during the Battles of the Lys.

regards

Mel

I would like to register my thanks on this Forum to Martin (Burlington) for the grave photo of Charles Kirkham sent within minutes of asking. Many many thanks. Regards Ralph.