Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW camp Langensalza

david west

Hi Guys, has anyone got any info about the POW camp (Bad) Langensalza..i have just found out that my Grandad was held there from when he was taken POW on 27th May 1918, (while he was serving with 8th Machine Gun Battalion) until he was repatriated on 8th Jan 1919. Any info pic`s or POW lists would be appreciated (i wrote to the Red Cross ages ago..havn`t heard anything yet !) Regards to all,

David

Hi Guys, has anyone got any info about the POW camp (Bad) Langensalza..i have just found out that my Grandad was held there from when he was taken POW on 27th May 1918, (while he was serving with 8th Machine Gun Battalion) until he was repatriated on 8th Jan 1919. Any info pic`s or POW lists would be appreciated (i wrote to the Red Cross ages ago..havn`t heard anything yet !) Regards to all,

David

Hi David

Sorry I can't help with details about the P.O.W camp,but I contacted the Red Cross myself ages ago using the link from their website,it took them 2 to 3 months to reply then,but it was worth the wait .

Good luck

Bob

Hi David

Sorry I can't help with details about the P.O.W camp,but I contacted the Red Cross myself ages ago using the link from their website,it took them 2 to 3 months to reply then,but it was worth the wait .

Good luck

Bob

cheers bob, thanks for your support.

dave

Dave,

This is Mrs P-H's take on the camp;

A busy town (pop. 17,600) containing cloth and cotton factories. The camp was opened in 1914, and consists of hutments, each holding 250 men. Capacity, 10,000. centre of numerous working commandos. American prisoners here. 11th Army Corps.

The camp was visited by the Americans and two of their reports are published as follows;

Miscellaneous No 16 (1916) Further Correspondence with the United States Ambassador respecting the Treatment of British Prisoners of War and Interned Civilians in Germany; Cd 8235

Miscellaneous No 26 (1916) Further Correspondence with the United States Ambassador respecting the Treatment of British Prisoners of War and Interned Civilians in Germany; Cd 8297

Prisoners registered there in October 1918;

French Officers 9

French Men 12 213

Russian Officers 4

Russian Men 9 400

Belgian Men 186

English Officers 26

English Men 3 491

Serbian Men 6

Rumanian Men 106

Italian Officers 4

Italian Men 2 313

Portuguese Officers 2

Portuguese Men 6

American Officers 6

American Men 27

Civilians 261

And a photograph;

post-7895-1237496879.jpg

Doug

Dave,

This is Mrs P-H's take on the camp;

A busy town (pop. 17,600) containing cloth and cotton factories. The camp was opened in 1914, and consists of hutments, each holding 250 men. Capacity, 10,000. centre of numerous working commandos. American prisoners here. 11th Army Corps.

The camp was visited by the Americans and two of their reports are published as follows;

Miscellaneous No 16 (1916) Further Correspondence with the United States Ambassador respecting the Treatment of British Prisoners of War and Interned Civilians in Germany; Cd 8235

Miscellaneous No 26 (1916) Further Correspondence with the United States Ambassador respecting the Treatment of British Prisoners of War and Interned Civilians in Germany; Cd 8297

Prisoners registered there in October 1918;

French Officers 9

French Men 12 213

Russian Officers 4

Russian Men 9 400

Belgian Men 186

English Officers 26

English Men 3 491

Serbian Men 6

Rumanian Men 106

Italian Officers 4

Italian Men 2 313

Portuguese Officers 2

Portuguese Men 6

American Officers 6

American Men 27

Civilians 261

And a photograph;

post-7895-1237496879.jpg

Doug

Thanks alot doug, that is fantastic work.

Dave

• 8 years later...

My grandfather was a POW at this camp too. I've attached picture of him in POW uniform he sent this photopostcard home.  Will find other picture showing group of prisoners. 

20180204_170340.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 06/02/2018 at 18:19, Guest said:

My grandfather was a POW at this camp too. I've attached picture of him in POW uniform he sent this photopostcard home.  Will find other picture showing group of prisoners. 

20180204_170340.jpg

That’s a very nice photo. My great great uncle was at Langensalza too after being taken POW in the Spring Offensive. He was shot in the mouth after trying to escape within a week. He survived and was one of the 5,000 men who were treated by Gillies’ team for plastic surgery. I am wondering how you found that photo, was it just a family pass down or did you find it on the internet? If so, how?

Hi,the photo too is on a postcard.my grandfather Joseph Hirst MC at the time of his capture on or abouts 28 march 1918,a company commander in the 7th East Yorkshire Regiment. He was shot in the leg then through the knee.I have somewhere a prison camp magazine of which he illistrated.