Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 men either born or with connections to the Poole/Bournemouth, Dors

morten

Morten

I have 2 jpeg files that I want to send you, it is a copy of Bertie Linham P o W Statement containing his address.

Please can I have your email address to do so as I cannot work out how to attach to this and at present I am unable to send you a PM message.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. I have just sent you a message. Regards Morten

There are plans for the Roll of Honour to be renovated and placed in the Regiments Memorial Garden. There are 185 names on the Roll most but not all died in Mesopotamia and India and the others are literally buried in every other place of operations including Russia. It is this Roll I am researching, putting more to each name than you can get from the CWGC and SDGW.

My Uncle lived in 8 Cyril Road, Bournemouth. The 1911 Census had him as a messenger (telegram boy?) along with his cousin Joseph Mew, also a messenger, my Grandmother's youngest brother, who joined the RMLI and was on board HMS Hampshire when it sank with Kitchener on board. A twist of fate, one dies in the Hampshire Regt and the other on a ship named Hampshire.

If you want more details do let me have a e-mail address.

roger

Thank you Roger. Very interesting, to hear about your uncle. I have replied to your email. Regards Morten

Hello John

Thanks for the welcome and the list. I will have a look through my records and get back to you. May I ask the purpose of your research? Regards Morten

Morten

I am a Trustee of the Regimental Museum in Salisbury and am building a database of men who were with the Royal Berks and predecessors betwen 1800 and 1920 - also men from Berkshire who fought in WW1. There are lots of overlaps with most other regimental databases and I am always happy to swap data.

regards

John

Morten

I have received your e mail regarding Bertie, I cannot be much help I believe that he was a regular and that his records are still with the MoD. He does not appear on the 1901 census.

I have done a bit more digging regarding brothers Frank & Walter Linham

According to the 1901 Census they were living at 3 Garfield Ave, Bournemouth, head of the house was Ellen E Linham 43 yrs.

George A Linham 19 yrs

Walter H Linham 14 yrs

Frank Linham 4yrs

Walter enlisted 17/5/1902 stating his age as 18? He was KIA on the 13/10/1914 and his medals were sent to his brother George who was now living in Windemere.

Frank enlisted 30/8/1914 and was KIA 3/5/1915 and his effects were sent to 172 Spring Rd, Bournemouth were they were signed for by Alice Kate Hobbs ( Sister)

I am now wondering if 127 Spring Rd was a transcription error on behalf of the War Office

Malcolm

Ps I have MIC's for both Frank and Walter

Morten

I am a Trustee of the Regimental Museum in Salisbury and am building a database of men who were with the Royal Berks and predecessors betwen 1800 and 1920 - also men from Berkshire who fought in WW1. There are lots of overlaps with most other regimental databases and I am always happy to swap data.

regards

John

Thanks John. Your database sounds most interesting. I'm sure that we can help each other. I will be in touch again. Regards Morten

Morten

I have received your e mail regarding Bertie, I cannot be much help I believe that he was a regular and that his records are still with the MoD. He does not appear on the 1901 census.

According to the 1901 Census they were living at 3 Garfield Ave, Bournemouth, head of the house was Ellen E Linham 43 yrs.

George A Linham 19 yrs

Walter H Linham 14 yrs

Frank Linham 4yrs

Walter enlisted 17/5/1902 stating his age as 18? He was KIA on the 13/10/1914 and his medals were sent to his brother George who was now living in Windemere.

Frank enlisted 30/8/1914 and was KIA 3/5/1915 and his effects were sent to 172 Spring Rd, Bournemouth were they were signed for by Alice Kate Hobbs ( Sister)

I am now wondering if 127 Spring Rd was a transcription error on behalf of the War Office

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. I've just come across service records for 7246 William (Walter) & 10709 Frank Linham. Do you have a copy of those? I noticed the Windermere connection. It does seem that Frank was living at 172 and not 127 Spring Road after all. I looked up 3 Garfield Road in Mate's Street Directory. Guess what ... no number 3 listed. I will have to revise my opinion of it's accuracy. That explains though why my family were not listed as being amongst the important families of Bournemouth?? Regards Morten

Morten,

Just a thought does your library / local archive office have a copy of the Post Office street index.

My local library in Bath has a set starting if I remember correctly starting about 1880 and going through to 1930's, these were issued on a yearly basis and appear to be fairly accurate.

In relation to William (Walter) and Franks records yes I have copies thank you.

Malcolm

Morten,

Just a thought does your library / local archive office have a copy of the Post Office street index.

My local library in Bath has a set starting if I remember correctly starting about 1880 and going through to 1930's, these were issued on a yearly basis and appear to be fairly accurate.

In relation to William (Walter) and Franks records yes I have copies thank you.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. No, it's not held locally. Could be held at the Hants. Record office but that's at Winchester. However, courtesy of Roger Coleman's fine effort, " The Bournemouth War Memorials - An Index", a copy of which is held locally:

Linham, W WW1 Pte 1 Dorsetshire Regiment

Linham, F WW1 LCpl 1 Dorsetshire Regiment

Memorial at Bournemouth Borough Council Shrine/ Book of Remembrance

Regards

Morten

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (Malcolm Linham @ Mar 25 2009, 07:29 PM) Morten

George A Linham 19 yrs

Walter H Linham 14 yrs

Frank Linham 4yrs

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. I've just come across service records for 7246 William (Walter) & 10709 Frank Linham. Do you have a copy of those? I noticed the Windermere connection. It does seem that Frank was living at 172 and not 127 Spring Road after all. I looked up 3 Garfield Road in Mate's Street Directory. Guess what ... no number 3 listed. I will have to revise my opinion of it's accuracy. That explains though why my family were not listed as being amongst the important families of Bournemouth?? Regards Morten

Having only just found this Thread I thought I would throw my 5 penth in about some road numbers,

My father was born in Spring Road before the turn of the 20th century and I like wise (prior to WW2) and I still live in that immediate area .

The is no 127 Spring Road 119-123 were built in the 1930's and the next number is133. http://www.streets-o...mments_previous clearly shows No 172 Spring Road the house with lamp post in front of it

With regards to 3 Garfield Avenue it does exist as it is the second house in on a terrace block and would have been in existence before WW1

• Admin

Morton

1) I've just finished reading "West Country Regiments on the Somme" by Tim Saunders - plenty of info on individuals from Dorset in there.

2) Try using Geoff's search engine - leave all spaces blank except insert "Bournemouth." into the "including" field and you will get lots of records from CWGC of soldiers with a Bournemouth connection often with an address and next of kin. Do the same with "Poole." and any other town/village etc you are interested in. For me it returned 684 records for Bournemouth and 13 for Poole.

Link to Geoff's engine here:

http://www.hut-six.c.../search1421.php

Regards

Russ

Edit - I should have said 84 records for Poole

Edit 2: I should say 52 records for Poole because there are 32 men named Poole who are unlikely to be from Poole itself.

Morton

1) I've just finished reading "West Country Regiments on the Somme" by Tim Saunders - plenty of info on individuals from Dorset in there.

2) Try using Geoff's search engine - leave all spaces blank except insert "Bournemouth." into the "including" field and you will get lots of records from CWGC of soldiers with a Bournemouth connection often with an address and next of kin. Do the same with "Poole." and any other town/village etc you are interested in. For me it returned 684 records for Bournemouth and 13 for Poole.

Link to Geoff's engine here:

http://www.hut-six.c.../search1421.php

Regards

Russ

Edit - I should have said 84 records for Poole

Edit 2: I should say 52 records for Poole because there are 32 men named Poole who are unlikely to be from Poole itself.

I experimented as your suggestion with Geoffs Hut Six with both W Wars after a random viewing it came to light that WW1 gives Roads and House Numbers whilst WW2 only gives Town or Area of town , unless I am mistaken

I wonder if it was CWGC policy to change direct identification or MoD

When using Geoffs Search Engine, don't forget to check the othe Countries apart from just the UK.

Particularly for WW1, there are often hits giving their UK address or birthplace.

• 2 years later...

I have just had sight of this picture of Pte George Edwin Allcock born Christchurch 1897 which was then include the Bournemouth registry area

As it says WW1 men connections this picture clearly shows young lad like so many others who fell in their teens

This card was passed on from local lady who has since deceased I believe it to be probably her cousin or uncle,

http://www.military-genealogy.com/nameShow-war-1-sid-468130.htm shows him as local resident, as I do not subscribe to that I can not go deeper unless some one wants to expand

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/198139/ALLCOCK,%20GEORGE%20EDWIN he is listed but it gives no indication of Bournemouth connections (one that has slipped through the net)

post-34992-0-53288700-1390576738_thumb.j

post-34992-0-43785700-1390576754_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I appreciate that this discussion thread is now five years old and people may have moved on. However, in the hope that some of you are still lurking, I have a soldier's name for you with connections to Bournemouth.

My great-grandfather's brother was Albert Herman Scoble (1892-1985) and he grew up in the Springbourn area of Bournemouth, living in Stewart Road in the 1901 Census and Holdenhurst Road in the 1911 Census. In 1911 (aged 19) he was a postman. I have recently come across the record for his Medal Index Card which shows his service number was 306981, and he was a private in the Hampshire Regiment. Family stories suggest that he served in India, although I have no details of this at present.

JaneyH

Hello again fellow members. Many thanks to The Majors Batman & subsequent postees. Please forgive me for not replying sooner but I have been seriously ill for over two years and unable to log into the Forum for such a long time. I'm slowly easing myself back into my research and hope to be able to log in more often. I have a lot to reading to catch up on.

Regards to all

Morten

Hi Morten,

Welcome back!

My grandfather Richard William (Bill) MARSH, RN, 1892-1953 is recorded in TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6858238 as being born in Bournemouth, although he was actually born in Christchurch.

seaJane

• 3 years later...

Hi 

Could anyone tell me what connection is with Bournemouth and 2nd Lt Walter Arthur Francis Bailey of the 2nd Bn Ox & Bucks Light Infantry he was killed on the 24/03/1918 France. Im pretty sure he was born around the London area. Any information would be most welcome. I am researching this man and trying to find living relatives.

Kind regards 

Andy 

His grandfather Arthur Hutcheson Bailey died in Bournemouth 25/8/1912. Probate to Arthur Francis Bailey, fire insurance manager, (eldest son) and Evelyn Rachel Bailey, Spinster (daughter). He left £68000+ - millions now. Address is in a Bodorgan Road. Second home ? So I think link is familial. Evelyn Rachel died 1919 in London. Arthur in 1927. They would be his uncle and aunt. Wonder if he went to Bournemouth on his hols?

Brief obit Times 18/11/18. Shrewsbury School, Sandhurst. To the Westen Front in November 1917 according to obit. Officers file at TNA. Seat to him OBLI Chapel, Oxford.

Both 1911 and 1901 censuses have AHB living in London. 

WAFB is in Shrewsbury School list of dead as being at the school 1912 to 1916.

Mentioned as wounded and missing in WD on 24/3/18.

http://ww1photos.com/Names/B/BaileyWAF2ndLtOxBucksLI.html

Details used in Times Obit. 

Edited by Mark1959