Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devil Dog of Mons

PBI

After seeing yet more posts about Mons Angels,Angels carrying the Fallen off of the Battlefield, and reading the Associated Media generated Claptrap and hearsay of the Period..here is yet another link...remarkable in its inaccuracy.

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/artic...ime_forgot.html

PBI

Thanks for posting the link.

I am completely convinced of the truth of this account.

Gott straff England!

Mel

"a hallucination in certain cases that I have observed myself…”

I think that line just about sums it up.

Gas-proof, bomb-proof, bullet-proof, grenade-proof, shrapnel-proof, able to hurdle barbed wire barricades and invisible to snipers, this sounds more like Superdog than Monster Dog!

(although in the 2000AD strip "Bad Company" there was a character called "Dogbrain", a man with the surgically-swapped brain of a dog - )

post-7805-1237387995.jpg

Normal Brain before transfer into Dog Body

No Captain Yeskes on CWGC site. A possible non-commemoration?

The "white dove aeroplane" was obviously a Taube

cheers Martin B

This is an Interesting read.."Myths and Legends of the First World War" By James Hayward...totally debunks the Strange Visions and Clouds Scenario..but no mention of Fritzy the Wonder Dog.

I've read that book, jolly interesting as you say but no mention at all of the Fausthund; nor have I seen it in any other work on WW1. Could it be a ghastly mangled mis-interpretation of the German Lazaret* dogs?

*Red Cross

Doubtless bred by a member of the von Baskervilles (who had family connections with Exmoor). Even more dreadful was its handler (seven foot high with a bolt through his neck).

The U.S. Marines picked up the nickname of "Devildogs" in France in 1918. The alleged German use of the name "Teufelhunden" for Marines began showing up in American newspaper stories in April 1918. How the nickname came to be attributed to Marines is obscure and probably apycrophal. In his discussion of Belleau Wood in June 1918, Edwin H. Simmons wrote in The United States Marines: A History: "The Germans made their own sober assessment and begrudgingly allowed that the marines, with more experience [than most U.S. Army soldiers], might be considered to be of storm-trooper quality. The marines told themselves that the Heinies were calling them 'Teufelhunden,' or 'Devildogs,' but there is no evidence of this in German records." Click here to view a 1918 recruiting poster based on the nickname.

Let's kill this hound legend for once and for all. It was no hound, but a terrier, in fact a Jack Russell. I have one of his progeny at home. Despite having named him Brigadier-General Sir Thompson Capper (Tom to hs 'friends'), he is a definite Hun wh stalks the night in search of his prey if he can't nip me on the sofa!.