Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZEF Service Records

leanes-trench

Someplace in the Forum, I seem to recall that some wonderful individual out there had free access to the WWI New Zealand Expeditionary Force dossiers. In the event that I wasn’t hallucinating (I can’t find the postings, but they had to do with men who died on Malta), can somebody direct me to him?

For those of you who don’t know, I am a member of the Gallipoli Association. For the past 25 years, I have been compiling a biographical register of all British and Dominion servicemen who died at, and as a result of, Gallipoli. So far I have also proven 19 Gallipoli deaths and 2 burials to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Now, the Association routinely forwards requests for information about casualties to me.

I have just completed writing a book about the Gallipoli campaign. It is a readable history of the campaign - which has been done - but is tied together with accounts about men who were killed - which has not. I gathered these accounts from personal and unit war diaries, letters, missing in action reports, family lore, etc. Right now, I’m casting around for an agent.

On that note, I would be happy to share information about specific Gallipoli casualties with people looking for it, and am always on the lookout for new information. I have a mass of stuff that others may not have access to, and am always happy to work with genealogists and other researchers (at no charge, of course). E-mail works best for me, and my address is:

leanes-trench@comcast.net

I live in Eugene, Oregon, in the northwestern US, for anyone who is interested.

Regards,

Pat

No access to records, but the Cenotaph project may help.

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/c.../locations.aspx

If nothing else, it does provide some information on the soldiers that were killed.

Hi,

I think the member you are referring to is zacknz, he often does look ups for other forum members and seems to visit the archives regularly.

We have a relative killed at Gallipoli so I will email you his details and see if you have anything on him, of the action he was killed in.

thanks heaps Aaron.

Many thanks for posting the Auckland Museum web address. It has enabled me to find the name and details of a man's troopship, and his home town memorial.

With best wishes,

David

Hello Pat,

I wonder whether, in your research into the casualties, you might have information concerning survivors? My grandfather, a New Zealand padre was there and survived - though as a padre he would have been dealing with many casualties himself. I will e-mail you with his details.

Joanna

Hi Pat

I'm not ignoring you but your GWF inbox is full and I still can't access your email address B) . Please send me a complete list of the men you need the files of.

Cheers

Zack

Hi, PAT

I have access to NZDF Records; the WWI files were purged in 1949, so the only thing left is there unit history and their medical documents. Most of the files were placed on microfiche which was done out of focus.

But I may be able to help.

John.Lynch2@nzdf.mil.nz

lynchjal@xtra.co.nz

http://www.army.mil.nz/culture-and-history...ery/default.htm

Pat

John is partially correct in that the Trentham WW1 files were purged but National Archives hold the WW1 personnel files including the microfiches where they exist. Not all files have microfiches. Certainly the state of the Archives WW1 files are variable in quality but this reflects the state of the files given to them. National Archives also hold embarkation and casualty lists and masses of other WW1 information which NZDF certainly doesn't possess. The NZDF files John refers to are held at Trentham on WW1 men who continued to serve after the end of WW1. In those cases, if the files exist, they can still be accessed from Trentham. All this of course takes time but from what you've said you are not in a hurry.

Zack