Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Robert Herman

J Banning

I read with interest in KW Mitchinson’s Battleground Europe of “Epehy - Hindenburg Line” that a lone pilot of 19 Sqdn RFC is buried in Epehy Communal Cemetery.

His name is Lieutenant Robert Herman: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=540900

An extract from the book says:

The communal cemetery on the south-east side of Epehy includes the grave of one British soldier and a mass grave of five villagers shot by the Germans in 1914. Lieutenant Robert Herman of the 2/5 South Lancashire Regiment and the RFC was buried by the Germans in September 1916. Herman, of 19 Squadron, was flying a BE 12 and there is some dispute as to who actually shot him down. It was either Offizier Stellvertreter L.Reimann of Jasta 2 (the unit where many future aces, including von Richtofen, cut their teeth) or Leutnant R.Berthold, the 'Iron Knight'. After the war Berthold met an unusual death when German communists used the ribbon of his Pour le Merite to strangle him.

Does anyone have any further information on him? I am taking a tour to the 1918 Epehy battlefields in the summer but would like to pay a visit to Herman’s grave, providing I can get some more info on him. I am not sure when I am next at Kew so any info would be much appreciated. I wonder where Mitchinson got his info about Herman's possible opponents?

With thanks

Hello Jeremy,

Just to give you some hope of a result. K.W. Mitchinson is working away from home down in Wiltshire at the moment. I will E/mail him and see if from his memory, he will be able to help. Of course in the meantime, someone else may be able to help you.

Regards Mike Jones

You may have it but here is the medal card.

Simon

post-38844-1237397978.jpg

& 1901 census return

post-38844-1237398217.jpg

Hello Jeremy,

Just to give you some hope of a result. K.W. Mitchinson is working away from home down in Wiltshire at the moment. I will E/mail him and see if from his memory, he will be able to help. Of course in the meantime, someone else may be able to help you.

Regards Mike Jones

Thanks for all replies thus far.

Mike - I appreciate your efforts to contact Mr Mitchinson and await any developments.

Best wishes

• 1 month later...
Hello Jeremy, Just to give you some hope of a result. K.W. Mitchinson is working away from home down in Wiltshire at the moment. I will E/mail him and see if from his memory, he will be able to help. Of course in the meantime, someone else may be able to help you.

Regards Mike Jones

Hi Mike - just wondered if you have had any luck with Mr Mitchinson as the trail appears to have gone cold on this one.

With thanks

Jeremy