Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dolphin

In reading of the fates of British and Empire airmen brought down behind enemy lines on the Western Front, I have noticed that a number of these men were sent to The Netherlands in 1918, eg 2/Lt C Goodson of No 7 Sqn RFC was captured on 3 June 1916 and sent to The Netherlands on 30 April 1918. (see Trevor Henshaw's 'The Sky Their Battlefield') 2/Lt Goodson must have quite a few fellow aviators with him on his journey out of captivity, as a number of other fliers were repatriated through The Netherlands on 30 April.

I'd be grateful if someone who knows could let me know the circumstances behind this seemingly large scale release of PoWs. Were only airmen involved? Were there conditions imposed, such as not taking further part in hostilities? Was there an exchange of Germans in Allied hands?

I'll be grateful for information.

Dolphin

The International Red Cross and the Swiss Commission (and ,before 1917,the American Commission)arranged the repatriation of prisoners,via neutral countries,quite regularly. These were usually sick or disabled prisoners.

The first occurance of this was an exchange of disabled German and British prisoners via Switzerland on 15th February 1915.

British and French prisoners,held in central and southern German camps were transferred via Switzerland and,those held in Eastern and Northern German camps went via Holland.German prisoners went back via the same channels. The idea was that these prisoners would be held in camps in these neutral countries and nursed back to health before being repatriated.

Wherever possible,similar ranks in similar numbers would be exchanged (ie.3 British corporals for 3 German "obergefreiten").I assume,therefore, that on the occasion you mention, a similar number of German aviator went the opposite way.

Dave

Thanks for your information.

I still wonder why so many captured airmen went to The Netherlands on the same day. Could it have something to do with the RAF being established earlier that month, so they were no longer Army or Naval PoWs? Probably not, but there must be some reason.

Do you know who nominated the PoWs to be repatriated? I imagine that it would have to be the detaining power - it's a bit hard to imagine one side telling the other that they'd like a particular soldier to be released from custody and sent to a neutral country!

Cheers

Dolphin

Neutral visitors (medical personell from the various commissions usually) and Red Cross personnel regularly inspected the camps. It was these who put their recommendations forward for considerstion by their "bosses". The detaining powers (through mutual agreement) had no say in the matter.

Dave.