The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

LC719

RFT

Having seen another post concerning vehicle registration numbers, it prompted me to post the following:-

LC719 is described as a touring car in use with 47 Squadron RAF, South Russia (1919/1920).

Does anyone know if this is the equipment number or registration number of this particular vehicle.

Any details will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rob

This could be a civilian registration number. Military vehicles carried such registrations 1919 to 1939. This mark was issued in London between 1904 and 1929. Unfortunately the records do not survive from before 1923. The possibility is it could be a civilian vehicle the personal property of an officer perhaps.

Hello phil w and thanks for the response.

It seems from your description that this number must be the military registration number. Vehicle number LC719 was used in South Russia 1919. Other numbers/vehicles recorded include LC.50, LC.713, LC.716, L.53, L.2353, and L.3903. These numbers relate to lorries and light tenders. It appears, from information in my possession, that motor cycles used by the RAF in South Russia did not carry such numbers.

Any other information on these vehicles/numbers will be much appreciated.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob

There were military vehicles carrying 'LC' numbers before 1919 so it is more likely that these were military designations rather than civilian registration numbers. there was a discussion on numbers and names related to Rolls Royce armoured cars & tenders a few months ago, see this thread:

Armoured cars

One picture of a RR armoured car in the Hejaz in the thread shows a war office ordnance mark (the old arrow mark) between the 'LC' letters and the number, again indicating a military designation.

Forumite Mark has collected a lot of info on names and numbers.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dominic

Thank you Dominic for your response.

Have just taken a glance at the "Armoured Cars" post and it is clear to me that LC719 is a military registration number. All I want now is a photograph of said vehicle (if any member has one!).

Best regards

Rob