Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Timewatch: WW1 Aces Falling (BBC2 Sat 21 March)

Nick Cooper

It promises to be a very good documentary indeed and the word is that it will be well worth watching. Despite the involvement of some nefarious characters in its making.

As well as him (!) look out for Dave Rowland, active member of WFA Heart of England Branch in Warwick and current Chair of the Royal Aeronautical Society.

Cheers for that.

Note to self - DONT FORGET!

All the best

also heard that soren of the forum will be on it doing some drawings

tafski

This is very much a Forum production! As well as art by Soren, Peter Hart adds some frank talking in his very own indomitable way and Freddy1918 adds some West End glamour (which both Jimmy and Mick would have approved of). It is directed by the Forum's John Hayes-Fisher, who had Paul Reed on his backroom team.

Not to be missed.

I see from my TV guide that this Saturday's (21st March) edition on Timewatch on BBC2 is called 'WWI Aces Falling - The story of Edward Mannock and James McCudden.

Looking forward to it. Some years back I came across an obscure reference to Mannock calling in to Goldhanger (near Maldon, Essex) aerodrome on 27/3/1918. He was a flight commander with 74 Squadron at the time and they were on their way to France. A note from him indicates that they went to Goldhanger at the last minute because "the big Hun attack". The bagadge had gone on to France and Mannock was cross, wanting to get off ASAP. Anyway they decided to kill time in the lical pub - the Goldhanger Chequers (which is still there). They had a good drink and started singing their "bawdy ballads". The local chief of the village (I think I know who that would have been) objected. Mannock told him to join in or step outside for a chat. The local chief started singing! 74 left Goldhanger on 30/3/18. Mannock was killed in the July.

Enjoy the programme.

Regards

SPN

Maldon

Argh! Bet no-one youtubes it :angry:

I'm sure if you ask nicely someone can arrange a DVD (or tape, if you prefer retro)....

I guessed from the title that Peter H would be involved!

If anyone can record it on DVD so that we can send it to our non-UK members, that would be great. I've only got the old-fashioned Videotape for recording. If I forget, I can see it on the Virginmedia On-Demand, but that is only available in the UK.

Adrian

To add to the list of helpers from the Forum, my wife supplied and mounted the medals for the production! Thanks for reference from Mr Reed!

Tony

Unforgiveable. 55 minutes before Paul Reed appears. :o

His solicitors will be in contact with the production team....

Steve.

I was very surprised to hear that McCudden had been refused as CO by 85 Squadron because he was a ranker and not ex-public school. Is the allegation true? Could a squadron "refuse" a CO that had been appointed to them?

Superb programme, as well as the red button 'extra' with some more SE5a action. Well done to those involved

His solicitors will be in contact with the production team....

Steve.

I can't sue myself, sadly. :lol:

I was merely wardrobe lady, translator and tea boy on this occasion, and only an accidental tourist when it came to being on camera.

John will be pleased that it appealed to some of you.

Very good, enjoyed it and learnt something as well, I knew very little about either man prior to the programme. I'll echo Phil_B's question could a squadron really refuse a CO?

Stephen

Re McCudden's rejection as CO:

I don't think it was the done thing - but in this case I understand it was more a collective voicing of no enthusiasm from a group of pilots that - shall we say given the outgoing CO - were not receptive to a disciplinarian taking over.