Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Murdered on the Assiut-Minia train

michaeldr

On 21st March 1919 the Foreign Secretary, Lord Curzon, wrote to Allenby informing him that he had been 'granted a Commission under the Royal Sign Manual, and Signet, constituting and appointing you His Majesty's Special High Commissioner for Egypt and the Sudan.

You are directed to exercise supreme authority in all matters Military and Civil, to take all such measures as you consider necessary, and to order and administer in all matters as may be required by the necessity of maintaining the King's Protectorate over Egypt and the Sudan.'

The killing, only three days earlier, of eight servicemen on the Assiut-Minia train may well have been the action which precipitated this promotion for Allenby.

from

Allenby in Palestine - the Middle East correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby, selected & edited by Matthew Hughes. Army Records Society/Sutton Publishing, 2004

Allenby to Curzon

Cairo

4 April 1919

Telegram

No.499 Very Urgent

My telegram No.496

Train left Luxor at 6 P.M. on 7th March*. On board two officers and eight other ranks. At Nag Hamadi natives boarded train and insulted soldiers. Officers then took them into their first-class carriage. At Assiut three other ranks left train and Kaimakam Pope Bey, Inspector of Egyptian Prisons Department, joined it.

Train left at 4 A.M., 18th March. At every station on line large crowds had collected awaiting arrival of train, who called for 'Ingleez,' threw stones, and attempted to board train. Some stations were successfully passed. At Deirout**a very large crowd attacked train, drove driver from engine, and succeeded in entering first-class carriage, now solely occupied by British.

One or two were probably killed here. On train restarting many Deirout natives stayed on board as far as the next station, Der Moes. Here they were reinforced by another large crowd, who, with stones, sticks and knives, killed all the remaining British, none of whom were armed. Bodies were replaced in the train, except one, which has not yet been traced, and train proceeded. At succeeding stations large crowds were collected, evidently with same object, who raised shouts of triumph on hearing English had all been killed. On arrival at Minia, bodies were taken from train, enquiry made, and bodies buried.

Steps have now been taken to exhume them. It appears that attack on train must have been prearranged, and that Egyptian and railway authorities at various stations made no effort to prevent this massacre.

* I feel quite certain that this should be 17th March

** correctly Dairut, it is aprox. 200 miles south of Cairo

................................................................................

Allenby to Curzon

Cairo

19 April 1919, received 20 April 1919

Telegram

No.602

MY telegram No.496

Following persons have now been identified as murdered on Assiut to Minia train on 18th March, between 8 A.M. and noon:

Kaimakam A. Pope Bey, Inspector Egyptian Government Prisons;

Major C. Jarvis, M.C., 20th Deccan Horse, I.A. Staff;

Lieutenant R. F. B. Willay (should be Willby, see below) General List.

361171 A.C. Q.M.S. Summergill, A. ('812th Aerial* Employment Company')

549259 A.C. Q.M.S. Peacock, P.D. ('812th Aerial* Employment Company')

360529 A.C. Q.M.S. Culyer, A.G. ('813th Aerial* Employment Company')

362433 A.C. Q.M.S. Field, G.H. ('813th Aerial* Employment Company')

18930 Private Redding, L.H., A.A.M.C.

Pending final establishment of facts by proper official enquiry, I send the following supplementary details obtained by personal investigation by British political officer on the spot. There had been much excitement along railway line, including greeting of train with patriotic cries, free travelling by crowds, and demonstrations of hostility to some English inspectors. Deirut was reinforced from Mallawi by crowds, who remained near station till next day. Express stopped at Assiut, evidently because of rumours of trouble, and murdered men therein arrived at Assiut at 7 A.M. on 18th in local train which stopped at every station. They were all unarmed and were collected in front first-class carriage. Native ticket inspector and two native officials travelling made unsuccessful efforts to deceive and divert attention of mob, but in arrival at Deirut they battered at closed doors and windows. Kaimakam Pope Bey and two others who got out on other side were murdered and bodies put in brake van. Though acting station-master had sent message to local police on seeing threatening attitude of mob one hour before train was due, police officer only arrived about twenty minutes after arrival of train with some six unarmed men out of forty armed men available. He did nothing and sent no warning ahead. Acting station-master, in spite of opposition, eventually got train away, natives swarming all over it, and remaining British at bay in two compartments. At Dier Moes another dense mob attacked train; two British managed to reach engine, and they and native driver tried to start train, but vacuum brake had been applied. Driver fled, and two British were overpowered and battered to death. Three remaining British gained engine and made no effort to work levers, but fought till overpowered. Five bodies battered till beyond recognition were thrown on platform, stripped and subjected to the worst indignities. Mob screamed with delight, women taking leading part in orgy. Sixty Egyptian soldiers returning from Soudan by train to join reserve leaned out of the windows cheering; their officers took no effective action. Police again arrived late and did nothing. Bodies were thrown into brake-van, and finally, after recurrent attempts at stations to stop train and see bodies, train arrived Minia, where native railway inspectors promptly had van and wrecked compartment shunted away out of reach of mob. Savagery was apparently deliberately incited by local organisations, whose agents probably travelling by train. Many railway officials and employees did all they could, but behaviour of police, native officer passengers and others seems to have been very bad.

* should read 'Area' (not Aerial: my thanks to Ivor Lee for this clarification)

................................................................................

From the CWGC

POPE BEY

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Inspector of Prisons

Secondary Unit Text: (Egyptian Government).

Date of Death: 18/03/1919

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 48.

Cemetery: CAIRO WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

JARVIS, CECIL

Initials: C

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: 20th Deccan Horse

Awards: D S O, M C

Additional information: Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Jarvis. Born at Bedford.

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 50.

WILLBY, FRANK RICHARD BAGG

Initials: F R B

Regiment/Service: General List

Secondary Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Secondary Unit Text: formerly

Additional information: Son of Edwin and Mary Frances Willby, of 58, Chipstead St., Parson''s Green, Fulham, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 52.

SUMMERSGILL

Initials: A

Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade

Secondary Regiment: Labour Corps

Secondary Unit Text: transf. to (3611/1) 812th Area Employment Coy.

Service No: 208734

Additional information: Son of John and Philippa Summersgill, of 139, Hulme Hall Lane, Oldham Rd., Manchester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 53.

PEACOCK

Initials: P D

Regiment/Service: Labour Corps

Unit Text: 812th Area Employment Coy.

Service No: 549259

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 54.

CULYER, ALFRED GEORGE

Initials: A G

Regiment/Service: Essex Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Secondary Unit Text: transf. to (C.Q.M.S. 360529) 813th Area Emp. Coy.

Date of Death: 13/03/1919

Service No: 3788

Additional information: Son of Alfred and Jane Culyer, of 62, High St., Halstead, Essex.

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 51.

FIELD, GUY HUGO

Initials: G H

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (London Irish Rifles)

Unit Text: 2nd/18th Bn.

Secondary Unit Text: transf. to (362433) 813th Area Employment Coy.

Service No: 2973

Additional information: Son of James and Mary Field, of 25, Crondace Rd., Parson's Green, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 49.

REDDING, LAWRENCE HENRY

Initials: L H

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 14th Australian Gen. Hosp.

Date of Death: between 17/03/1919 and 18/03/1919

Service No: 18930

Additional information: Son of Joseph James Redding; husband of Elsie K. Redding, of Military Road South, Semaphore, South Australia. Born in London, England.

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 47.

…………………………………………………………

Volunteer required

It would be nice, on this 90th Anniversary, if we could help the CWGC to sort out a couple of the above Roll of Honour details regarding the entries for Kaimakam Pope Bey and for Alfred George Culyer

Pope –

Kaimakam is a rank or title, and Bey is an honorific, meaning that on record, we have only the surname of this man. Allenby's telegram indicates that his initial was A, and I see from the NA's file FO 141/571/3 (here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...+141%2F571%2F3) that his first name was Alexander.

Terry D. has advised that in order for the CWGC to add the first name 'Alexander' to Pope's entry, we must have a copy of the document; the catalogue ref. by its self is not enough.

Would any UK Pal who is visiting the NA, and who has time to spare, like to help and copy this document [or just the relevant page(s) confirming the name Alexander] and ask the CWGC to add Pope's first name to their records.

Culyer –

at the same time, can we ask the CWGC to look again at the date of death in this case? 13th March as shown on the CWGC's Roll of Honour is obviously a scanning error, and Ivor Lee has confirmed that he has a photograph of the headstone showing the correct date of death – 18 March 1919.

Thanks in advance for any help here;

I think that it would be a suitable mark of respect on this anniversary if together we can help to put these records strait

Just as a matter of sombre interest,

Cecil Jarvis was the last of no fewer than five brothers to die in the First World War period. His father was already deceased; his mother in the wake of all this only outlived Cecil by a few months.

They are all listed on a plaque in a church just outside Bedford - St.Peters, Sharnbrook - and I gave the details in a thread on multiple brother casualties which I post below:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...arvis&st=75

LST_164

Michaeldr

You may want to give the forenames for Peacock and Summersgill to CWGC, as well:

PEACOCK, Peter Duckels: born 1892, Hull, Yorkshire; 1901 residence was Sculcoates, Yorkshire

sources: MIC, which confirms this is the same man by listing his Labour Corps service #: 549259);

1901 Census for England; BMD for England & Wales.

SUMMERSGILL, Albert: born 1900, Manchester, Lancashire; 1901 residence was Manchester;

the 1891 & 1901 Census for England gives the parents' names as "John" and "Rebecca"

(not "Philippa").

sources: 1891 & 1901 Census for England; BMD for England & Wales; MIC for "Albert Summersgill,"

Army Service Corps service # DM2/130599, but no MIC cards list Rifle Brigade and

service # 208734.

CWGC moves slowly to effect changes, but correcting the errors and omissions you discussed is long overdue

for these 8 men. The fact the we are approaching the centennial serves to underscore the need all the more.

Regards

Trelawney

90 years ago today these men lost their lives in terrible circumstances. Rest In Peace, all of you.

Mate,

Can I add these also on that day;

FERGUSON James Maxwell 272 Pte 10 LHR B Sqn relist A/Sgt 26R/9 LHR (R272) rtn L/Cpl BSqn/10 LHR WIA 18-3-19 head at Miniet el Qaam near Zagazig during Egyptian revolt buried Tell el Kebir War Memorial Cemetery Egypt N/R Farmer 21 22 Moora WA 28-10-14 RTA 23-1-16 DoW 20-3-19 Nth Perth WA

MONTAGUE William Robert 2895 Pte 10 LHR 20R to 3 LH MGS rtn B Sqn? WIA 18-3-19 head & shoulder at Miniet el Qaam near Zagazig during Egyptian revolt Ex 10R/10 LHR to 13R/10 LHR (2219) to 15R/10 LHR DNE accidently killed in train accident N/R Sleeper hewer 32 Noggerup WA 5-7-15 RTA 29-4-19 DoA 1925 Bellevue WA

MATHISON John 443 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn WIA 19-4-17 to Sgt MID recom DCM killed near Sheibet el Nakkaria report shot in chest during Egyptian revolt buried Tell El Kebir War Memorial Cemetery Egypt AKA Matheson brother William 28Bn KIA N/R Labourer 24 Broomehill WA 21-10-14 KIA 18-3-19 Aberdeen Scotland

Cheers

S.B

Looking at post No.1 you may have noticed that while Allenby's telegram of 19th April 1919 refers to "Major C. Jarvis, M.C., 20th Deccan Horse, I.A. Staff" the CWGC entry on the other hand has him listed with "Awards: D S O, M C"

It seems that both are correct, as the award of the DSO was not made until about ten weeks after his death

Per the SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON .GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1919. 6927

AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER.

Maj. Cecil Jarvis, M.C., 20th Deccan Horse, IA.

The award seems to have been made under the Birthday Honours, see

War Office,

3rd June, 1919.

The KING has been graciously pleased, on

the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to

approve of the undermentioned rewards for

distinguished service in connection with

Military Operations in Egypt. Dated 3rd June, 1919:

quote from post No.1 above:

Volunteer required

It would be nice, on this 90th Anniversary, if we could help the CWGC to sort out a couple of the above Roll of Honour details regarding the entries for Kaimakam Pope Bey and for Alfred George Culyer

Pope –

Kaimakam is a rank or title, and Bey is an honorific, meaning that on record, we have only the surname of this man. Allenby's telegram indicates that his initial was A, and I see from the NA's file FO 141/571/3 (here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...+141%2F571%2F3) that his first name was Alexander.

Terry D. has advised that in order for the CWGC to add the first name 'Alexander' to Pope's entry, we must have a copy of the document; the catalogue ref. by its self is not enough.

Would any UK Pal who is visiting the NA, and who has time to spare, like to help and copy this document [or just the relevant page(s) confirming the name Alexander] and ask the CWGC to add Pope's first name to their records.

Culyer –

at the same time, can we ask the CWGC to look again at the date of death in this case? 13th March as shown on the CWGC's Roll of Honour is obviously a scanning error, and Ivor Lee has confirmed that he has a photograph of the headstone showing the correct date of death – 18 March 1919.

Well, at long last the estimate for copy+postage has been received from the NA regarding FO 141/571/3 but I regret to say that £49.50 is currently outside of my budget for this sort of thing

I still think that it would be a nice idea to get the CWGC's Debt of Honour details to show more than just Kaimakam Pope Bey's family name

but for the present I am going to have to leave this to a UK volunteer who can fit this copying in on one of their regular visits; Terry will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that we need the whole document, just that part confirming Pope's first name, Alexander

Anyone game for this ?

Michael,

I'm sure someone might help here, but maybe you'd be better starting up a separate and specific thread for this request.

More people would then see the heading than will delve into this current thread and spot it.

LST_164

quote: unarmed in a semi-hostile country

Only with the benefit of hindsight does this seem unusual

At the time this was four-plus months after the armistice and anyway the 'front line' was by then several hundreds of miles away on the borders of Anatolia. These men were travelling in a country which had had a British military presence for decades and, until that point, without any remarkable civil unrest. I don't suppose that it was at all unusual at that time and in that place for the military to go about without side arms

regards

Michael

Michael

Well done on presenting us with the outline of this military tragedy.

If you haven't already. you might obtain more background and detail through the Melik Society (website: http://www.melik.org.uk/ )

Harry

• 1 month later...

I still think that it would be a nice idea to get the CWGC's Debt of Honour details to show more than just Kaimakam Pope Bey's family name

but for the present I am going to have to leave this to a UK volunteer who can fit this copying in on one of their regular visits; Terry will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that we need the whole document, just that part confirming Pope's first name, Alexander

Anyone game for this ?

My thanks to Terry Reeves who stepped forward to volunteer for this and who has further increased my debt to him by offering to take the matter up with the CWGC - Well done Terry!

In our GWF section on the '90 Anniversary' (see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123553&hl=allenby) I have made a related thread to illustrate how the situation in Egypt developed after this incident

• 3 years later...

Another Officer murdered near Deirut a few days after this incident on the 24th March was, Lieutenant Colonel Albert William Hazel, CBE, Inspector of Recruitment.

Does anyone know of the circumstances of this murder ?

Thanks Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to find this for you, and it is very little at that
however it does describe events on the 24th, though I'm afraid, without mentioning your man

from 'Allenby in Palestine – the middle east correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby' selected & edited by Matthew Hughes, Sutton Publishing Ltd for the Army Records Society, 2004
see the following on p.231

Allenby to Milner
Cairo
26 March 1919
Telegram No.442 Urgent

Sir M. Cheetham's telegram No.443
Situation up to this morning:-
South of Cairo: Dierut was stated to be in the hands of the mob on 22nd, with 1,000 armed Bedouins holding up river traffic.
At Assuit grave disorder occurred on 23rd and 24th, with burning and looting, notably of Coptic chops. Fighting between Bedouin and natives and British troops went on during those days and on afternoon of 24th the Mudir [Communal Head] telegraphed that ammunition was short and position dangerous. General Huddlestone's force has now been relieved. Railway and telegraphic communication with Haifa (? perhaps Halfa?) has been restored. Kena reported in a critical position and in need of troops on the 24th.
Strike is said to have occurred in Gemsa and Hughada oil fields, but another account denies this.
Minor incidents elsewhere, but order is spreading southward, and in Fayoum evacuated police outposts are being reoccupied.
Cairo: Quiet, though certain nervousness still perceptible. Lawyers' strike is thought to be wavering, and their action would probably influence that of the students. North of Cairo, West Behera, North Gharbia, and parts of Dakahlieh are still much disturbed, but numerous arrests made in west of Behera. Troops inflicted 100 casualties in defending a construction train from attack between Zagazig and Mit Ghamr; Alexandria and Port Said quiet.
Bedouin of western desert quiet and apparently unaffected by the movement.

The ref given is Oxford University, Bodleian Library: Milner papers VI/D/444/3

regards
Michael

I find these events to be a very interesting phase in Britain's relationship with Egypt.

Without any doubt there had been massive corruption and injustice in the way that Egyptian labour units had been recruited for the war. Most British recruiting officers did not wish to know the details - they just wanted to go away with the numbers of men required.

To quote one Egyptian conscript:

" . . . for my father had died and my uncles and relations took our land and our cattle, for they said father owed them money, and my uncle Khalifa paid money to the Omda to send me to the war instead of him . . . ".

Once in a labour unit the Egyptian conscript was not regarded with much dignity, and if he died then his death might not even be recorded. Even though the corruption and injustices were practised by Egyptian overseers on other Egyptians, it was the British that had started the whole business (even though Britain had led the Egyptians to believe that they would not be forced to take part in a war against co-religionist Turkey).

Whilst individually the Egyptian peasant farmers who were lucky enough to return from the war might not want to atttack the British in retribution for their losses and indignities, their fellow-Egyptian political agitators could quickly inflame the masses, and they did.

For an excellent insight into this situation I strongly recommend a read of: Bimbashi McPherson edited by Barry Carman and John McPherson. The above quote is taken from this book.

McPherson took Egyptian labourers to Gallipoli and camel transporters to Sinai, and he looked after his mens' interests, although he himself appreciated when violence had to be used to prevent disorder and disaffection.

He later was head of the Cairo secret police and tracked down revolutionaries.

Just after the war the British leadership in Egypt dropped its guard on security matters, perhaps understandably after the fatigue of campaigning, but revolutionaries saw a chance and encouraged violence that took the lives of many unsuspecting British soldiers.

Harry

Between March 15 to 31, 1919 at least 3,000 Egyptians were killed, numerous villages were burnt down, large landed properties plundered and railways destroyed. The spark appears to have been the exile of Saad Zaghloul (sic) who became the first Prime Minister. The demand for independence stemmed from President Wilsons 14 points-the Paris conference refuted Egypts claims and it all kicked off for a second time. It didn't end there. After two exiles the country rose up again and independence was granted.

The Egyptian Suez remained militarized under joint British-Egyptian rule , and Sir Oliver Lee F. Stack was assassinated as Governor General in 1924 driving through Cairo by students. He had been in charge of the Sudan since 1917.

Thanks for that summary Harry; it's all too true

There is a ref in the 'The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force.....' (down load from here http://archive.org/d...ofadv00grearich)

to the position of the Inspector of Recruiting on page 108 (though there is no ref to Hazel by name)

It is also revealing of the army's priorities in the matter of labour, to read the final para on that page

“The problem (of getting enough British officers for the ELC) was solved by offering temporary commissions to selected candidates from the ranks of British units, and ensuring them facilities for the acquisition of Arabic with extra duty pay on becoming proficient. Only those candidates who showed an aptitude in the handling of Egyptians, after a thorough practical test extending over several weeks, were accepted, and it is of interest to state that out of over 800 candidates dealt with 401 have been commissioned.”

This very hurried officer training course produced a command system, where attention to dicipline was paramount and record keeping practically none existent. Have a look at some of the ELC deaths recorded by the CWGC, for instance, at Haifa. This chap just happens to be the first on the list

http://www.cwgc.org/...DEL MOBDI ABDEL see Date of Death: Between 01/01/1918 and 31/08/1921

At the end of the war, Wingate was temporarily replaced by Cheetham, but he found the job too much, and Allenby was quickly drafted in as High Commissioner to handle the escalating problems. Writing to Wilson on 16 April 1919, Allenby is clear as to the roots of the disquiet:

“Egypt complains – with some truth - that she, who has been loyal throughout the War, is refused the right of being heard: whereas that right has been accorded to Arabs, Syrians, Palestinians, Jews and even Cypriots. Moreover, the big agitators have now at their back the whole of the Fellahin. For the first time since 1882 they are against us. Previously, the Fellahin have been our friends

Voluntary recruiting for the Egyptian Labour Corps – carried out by press-gang methods in the provinces – is one grievance.

Then again, the requisitioning of annimals and supplies for military pruposes; unjustly applied, in many cases. Thirdly, collections made, throughout the country for the Red Cross Fund. This is a very real grievance. Finally the existing high prices of food – result of the war – are put down to the continued presence of the British Army.”

regards

Michael