The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

935676 Alfred Bowie - 282nd Brigade RFA

Chris

One of those projects i keep coming back to every now and then. Alfred Bowie was killed in action on 1st Nov 1917 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, but on checking through his records i see from the entry below that he did recieve a burial; which was no doubt lost in later fighting/shelling.

Would it be logical to think that he was buried at the location of his Battery or at the nearest aid post? Can anyone make any more sense of the entry below?

post-1012-1237291982.jpg

Cheers

Chris

It won' t be of any help to know that buy that date the 282nd was a AFA. They left the 56th Division on 20/1/17.

Could it be Mangelare or Mangelaar near Langemark?

Bob

That's a bit precise...... 3 1/2 mile N.N.E.

I've had a look at Google Earth (comes in handy once every so often!) and 3 1/2 miles NNE of Ypres is a small ville called "Sint Juliann". To the north of here is Langemark and to the SE is Zonnebeke and Tyne Cot is less than mile up the road from Zonnebeke.

Much obliged to everyone. Thank you very much. I wonder if it is possible to determine whether Mon Bulgare was the site of of a first aid post or it was where C Battery 282nd Brigade was located on 1st November. Had a look on Google Earth but image is not brilliant. Does anyone have a modern day pic of Mon Bulgare or where in this location the referred to dugouts may have been located

Thankyou

Chris