Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ALFRED NEVILLE BATES 5 Notts & Derby Regt

Promenade

I am currently researching all of the officers who were killed in action on the Somme 1/7/16. I would be grateful if any forum member could add any information on 2nd Lt AN Bates. (I have accessed his papers at the NA)

2nd Lieutenant ALFRED NEVILLE BATES

‘B’ Company 5 Notts and Derby Regt (Sherwood Foresters)

Alfred Neville Bates was born in 1893 the son of Arthur John and Emily Bates, of 44, Midland Avenue, Lenton, Nottingham and brother of Albert John Bates. He was educated at Mundella School and at Nottingham University. Alfred Bates is buried in Foncquevillers Military Cemetery, Plot I. Row B. Grave 22.

Thankyou

• 3 years later...
I am currently researching all of the officers who were killed in action on the Somme 1/7/16. I would be grateful if any forum member could add any information on 2nd Lt AN Bates. (I have accessed his papers at the NA)

2nd Lieutenant ALFRED NEVILLE BATES

Alfred Neville Bates was born in 1893 the son of Arthur John and Emily Bates, of 44, Midland Avenue, Lenton, Nottingham and brother of Albert John Bates. He was educated at Mundella School and at Nottingham University. Alfred Bates is buried in Foncquevillers Military Cemetery, Plot I. Row B. Grave 22.

Thankyou

hi, here is a photo of his grave if you have not got it - cheers

post-20048-1175215096.jpg

'B' Company (under Capt Kerr) were acting as carrying party during the attack

Mike