Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

edward leonard andrews - berkshire yeomanary

Susan Jane

dear all

Im trying to find out any information on my grandma brother - who i believe died on the H T Loewsone can anyone help? Thanks

Susan :mellow:

ANDREWS, EDWARD LEONARD Initials: E L Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Berkshire Yeomanry Date of Death: 27/05/1918 Service No: 70821 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Memorial: CHATBY MEMORIAL

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum.

here he is in SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War):

Regiment, Corps etc.: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps)

Battalion etc.: Berkshire Yeomanry.

Gallipoli, 1915 Egypt, 1915-17 Palestine, 1917-18 France and Flanders, 1918 1/1st Berkshire Yeomanry. 4.8.14 Reading: 2nd South Midland Mtd. Bde. Aug. 1914 brigade to Mtd. Div. 2.9.14 brigade to 2nd Mtd. Div. at Churn. Nov. 1914 to Fakenham area. April 1915 to Egypt. Aug. 1915 to Gallipoli, dismounted. Dec. 1915 returned to Egypt. Jan. 1916 2nd Mtd. Div. broken up and brigades became independent. 2nd S.M. Bde. became 6th Mtd. Bde. Feb. 1917 6th Mtd. Bde. to Imperial Mtd. Div. June 1917 Bde. to Yeomanry Mtd. Div. 4.4.18 regiment left brigade and with Buckinghamshire Yeo. formed C Bn. Machine Gun Corps. 21.6.18 landed at Taranto and on to France. Mid Aug. numbered 101st Bn. M.G.C. At end of war was with Second Army. 2/1st Berkshire Yeomanry. Formed Sept. 1914. Mar. 1915 in 2/2nd South Midland Mtd. Bde. from Reading. Now in 2/2nd Mtd. Div. in Kings Lynn area. Mar. 1916 now in 11th Mtd. Bde. 3rd Mtd. Div. July 1916 became a cyclist unit in 8th Cyclist Bde. 2nd Cyclist Div. in Maidstone area. Sept. 1916 to Ipswich area. Nov. 1916 2nd Cyclist Div. broken up and the unit amalgamated with 2/1st Hampshire Yeo. to form 11th (Hampshire & Berkshire) Yeomanry Cyclist Regt. in the 4th Cyclist Bde. in Essex. Mar. 1917 composite regiment discontinued and resumed identity. By July at Wivenhoe. About Jan. 1918 to Ireland in 4th Cyclist Bde. Stationed at Dublin and Dundalk. 3/1st Berkshire Yeomanry. Formed in 1915 and in the summer affiliated to the 7th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth. Early in 1917 absorbed in 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.

Last name: Andrews

First name(s): Edward Leonard

Initials: E

Birthplace: Reading, Berks

Enlisted: Reading

Residence: Reading

Number: 70821

Date died: 27 May 1918

How died: Died

Theatre of war: At Sea

it looks like he was wounded and died of his wounds whilst enroute by sea.

You can also download his MIC (medal card) from here for £2 - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1 - it will tell you which medals he was entitled to

Grant

Here is his Medal Card!

Andrews.jpg

No Worries!

Lisa

Susan,

I have an old copy of a newspaper which makes a passing reference to EL Andrews, which suggests he was the second son of Mrs FA Andrews, of 22, Howard Street, Reading. I don't know if this ties up.

It suggests the lad was the only Berks Yeomanry man killed.

Regards,

Spud

Not sure where I received this information (may have been on the Forum?) but gives a vivid account of the sinking of the Leasowe Castle. My Great Unlce was with the RBucks Hussars, but invalided with Malaria at the time of the sailing. Later crossed with remainder of R Bucks Hussars as 101 MGC.

This account was from account of a Berkshire Yeoman:

"We were on transports going to France, actually to Marseilles. Six transports and about 2 cruisers 7 destroyers and a couple of sloops named The Lily and The Ladybird. When we got 150 miles from Alexandria which would have put us somewhere opposite Cyprus, we were torpedoed, it was just midnight. I think we had left Alexandria about teatime, 4 o'clock. The officer in charge of us on board, Lawson, came round to ask for volunteers to lower the rafts and all that sort of thing after the crew had got the lifeboats down. Then once finished he stepped up to me and my mate "Come on boys the decks are awash, every man for himself. So we scrambled over the side and the ship stood up. The deck was above water. We had life jackets on which was just as well since I couldn't swim very well. Well once in the water I kicked myself off the side of the ship and got my legs tangled round a piece of rope. So I pulled myself back, kicked myself clear and out I went into the blue. Sixteen minutes past one when my watch stopped, course they wouldn't go in those days, they weren't waterproof. I swam about out there, and we were anxious that we couldn't get as far as we would want because of the suction of the ship (when it went down.) The crew consisted of a load of Lascars, took the life boats to the rescue ships, the lily and ladybird and all those others. When they got their they and got onto the ships themselves they let the lifeboats go. And it was one of these which I swam out to. Well as we were being trained as Hotchkiss machine gunners and our horses taken away, we'd lost our breeches and putties and all that sort of thing. We just wore shorts. The sergeants and the sergeant majors they kept their breeches as did the officers. So through the movement of this boat up came somebody in the dark beside of me, my Sergeant Major Legg. We went to clamber up in to the boat together, and he said to me "let go of me you bloody fool, I cant get up there with you hanging on to my breeches." So when we eventually rolled in to the boat, I was free minus one sock and one shoe. He had his breeches full of 2 or 3 gallons of water which had held him down from getting in the boat. That made me laugh did that. Having got into the boat there was only one oar left. About 5 or 6 other fellows gathered together and got into the boat, and we tried to get away with only one oar. The Leasowe Castle with 3000 of us on board, big ship she was. As she was going down we tried to get the boat 50 yards from her so she wouldn't suck us down. Anyway eventually round came this motor-boat with 2 sailors in and chucked us a line and towed us round to where we got on the Ladybird. I think there was two more ships in attendance while the rest of the convoy had gone on, otherwise they'd be in danger too. I think it was the lady bird I got on, and luck for us they stayed. There was so many of us on this little sloop that the Captain of the ship asked us to get more equally spread all over the ship to keep her balanced."

The sloop lily having about 1100 survivors on board started back to Alexandria immediately. The Destroyer R with about 400 on board remained in the vicinity of the ships boats which numbered about 34 and carried the remainder of the survivors.

At about 1200 H.M. torpedo boat Chelmer (34), H.M. monitor LADYBIRD and H.M. auxiliary Lychnis arrived and took over the survivors from the Katsura and the ships boats. The officers and men of the Royal Navy and the Imperial Japanese Navy did everything in their power to assist the survivors many of whom were almost without clothes. The rescuing vessels arrived at Alexandria at times between 1400 and 1830. There all arrangements had been made for their reception: men of the Battalion were sent straight to Sidi Bishr transit camp and officers to various hotels for the night.

Susan,

I have an old copy of a newspaper which makes a passing reference to EL Andrews, which suggests he was the second son of Mrs FA Andrews, of 22, Howard Street, Reading. I don't know if this ties up.

It suggests the lad was the only Berks Yeomanry man killed.

Regards,

Spud

Hi Spud

Yes this is certainly the correct person. I I can confirm that this is my Grandmas brother

My grandmother was Ethel May Andrews ...at the time of her marriage in 1917, her address was 22 Howard Street Reading.

( I have the original marriage certificate ) There are a very few minor differences in the information.

His Father was George Albert Andrews, mother Emma Maria Andrews nee Pople.

Edward/Edwin (his christian name is given as either) Leonard Andrews (he was known in the family as Len)(born 1897) was the third of 5 children

Albert George Andrews (born 1891) Private Royal Berkshire Regiment Service number 20098 died 05/04/1918

Ethel May Andrews (my grandma) born 1893

Francis Sidney Andrews born 1899 -(known as Frank) he was also killed in WW1 but I have not found any details yet.

Lillian Mabel Andrews born 1908

I had been told two of the brothers were in the the army and one was Navy but know Im wondering if all three may have with Berkshire Regiment.

Many many thanks for your information...I'll pass back any more information that I find.

Best regards

Susan

Hello Susan,

I would suggest Francis Sidney Andrews is the FS Andrews (East Yorks) recorded by the CWGC. The SDGW disc records he was born & enlisted in Reading and previously served with the Berks Yeomanry. He died of wounds 18/10/1918.

If you p.m me your e.mail address I'll scan the newspaper article and e.mail it on, if of use.

Regards,

Spud

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum.

here he is in SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War):

Regiment, Corps etc.: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps)

Battalion etc.: Berkshire Yeomanry.

Gallipoli, 1915 Egypt, 1915-17 Palestine, 1917-18 France and Flanders, 1918 1/1st Berkshire Yeomanry. 4.8.14 Reading: 2nd South Midland Mtd. Bde. Aug. 1914 brigade to Mtd. Div. 2.9.14 brigade to 2nd Mtd. Div. at Churn. Nov. 1914 to Fakenham area. April 1915 to Egypt. Aug. 1915 to Gallipoli, dismounted. Dec. 1915 returned to Egypt. Jan. 1916 2nd Mtd. Div. broken up and brigades became independent. 2nd S.M. Bde. became 6th Mtd. Bde. Feb. 1917 6th Mtd. Bde. to Imperial Mtd. Div. June 1917 Bde. to Yeomanry Mtd. Div. 4.4.18 regiment left brigade and with Buckinghamshire Yeo. formed C Bn. Machine Gun Corps. 21.6.18 landed at Taranto and on to France. Mid Aug. numbered 101st Bn. M.G.C. At end of war was with Second Army. 2/1st Berkshire Yeomanry. Formed Sept. 1914. Mar. 1915 in 2/2nd South Midland Mtd. Bde. from Reading. Now in 2/2nd Mtd. Div. in Kings Lynn area. Mar. 1916 now in 11th Mtd. Bde. 3rd Mtd. Div. July 1916 became a cyclist unit in 8th Cyclist Bde. 2nd Cyclist Div. in Maidstone area. Sept. 1916 to Ipswich area. Nov. 1916 2nd Cyclist Div. broken up and the unit amalgamated with 2/1st Hampshire Yeo. to form 11th (Hampshire & Berkshire) Yeomanry Cyclist Regt. in the 4th Cyclist Bde. in Essex. Mar. 1917 composite regiment discontinued and resumed identity. By July at Wivenhoe. About Jan. 1918 to Ireland in 4th Cyclist Bde. Stationed at Dublin and Dundalk. 3/1st Berkshire Yeomanry. Formed in 1915 and in the summer affiliated to the 7th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth. Early in 1917 absorbed in 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.

Last name: Andrews

First name(s): Edward Leonard

Initials: E

Birthplace: Reading, Berks

Enlisted: Reading

Residence: Reading

Number: 70821

Date died: 27 May 1918

How died: Died

Theatre of war: At Sea

it looks like he was wounded and died of his wounds whilst enroute by sea.

You can also download his MIC (medal card) from here for £2 - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1 - it will tell you which medals he was entitled to

Grant

Hi Grant

Many thanks for the information...Im trying to put it all together

Regards

Susan

Hello Susan,

I would suggest Francis Sidney Andrews is the FS Andrews (East Yorks) recorded by the CWGC. The SDGW disc records he was born & enlisted in Reading and previously served with the Berks Yeomanry. He died of wounds 18/10/1918.

If you p.m me your e.mail address I'll scan the newspaper article and e.mail it on, if of use.

Regards,

Spud

Hello Spud

Thank you for that...I'm trying to work one how to p.m my email at the moment....I joined the forum last night night and todays post was the first one, so I'm trying to get to grips with it all..Im amazed at the rapid response from everyone.

Yes I would very like a copy of the newspaper article

I'll get back to you with my email

Best regards

Susan

• 5 years later...

a report from the Reading Mercury of the death of Trooper EL Andrews

Yeoman on Sunk Transport

As already officially announced, a transport was sunk at the end of May, not far from Alessandria. Among the troops on board were members of the Berkshire Yeomanry, and these included several belonging to Reading as well as the county. The only surviving son of the Deputy-Mayor of Reading (Mr Leonard G Sutton) was among the number. They all had narrow escapes, and several were in the water for some hours before being rescued. Of those associated with the Berkshire Yeomanry one lost his life. We refer to Trooper Edwin Leonard Andrews, second son of Mr and Mrs GA Andrews, of 22 Howards Street, Reading. He is officially reported as missing, but believed drowned; and there is little doubt now that he has made the great sacrifice.

In a letter to Mrs Andrews an officer throws light on the affair. He writes:- “I have known your son for ten months. He was the best of lads, liked by everyone, and is a great loss to the company. When the ship was struck at just after midnight, 26th – 27th May, you son was in the ship’s hospital. He had been admitted in the morning with a slight fever, but hoped to be out again the next day. All the patients were at once taken on deck and conducted by a medical orderly to their boat. That, I am sorry to say is the last that is known of him. That he he came on deck is certain: of that there is no doubt. In the darkness and press of men going to their boat stations he must have missed his way and gone to another part of the ship. It was, of course, impossible for the medial orderlies to recognise in the dark individuals whom they did not know intimately. Everything that it was possible for them to do they did, and it was a great shock to earn that your son had not been landed by any of the ships which picked up the survivors. Enquires have been made at all hospitals here, but no trace of your son can be found. 1918-07-20 (RMerc) p08c4 death of Tpr EL Andrews 70821