Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bois de Buttes France then & now.

david west

Hi, Does anyone have any "then and now" photos of the Bois de Buttes area of France..I am interested in the area where the 2nd Devons were virtually wiped out on 27th May 1918. Any other old photos of the Devons during WWI would also have interest.

Cheers,

David (grandson of bois de buttes survivor)

hi david

Ive got some shots of the present day site if i can lay my hands on then,not sure where they are at the moment. was down there last year with my son in law (Iain mchenry), we found one of the gallery,s under the hill very interesting, ill see what i can find

roger (ex d&d)

Hi, you can take a look on this website (mostly in french) http://souterrains.vestiges.free.fr/spip.php?article42

and here : http://inventaire.picardie.fr/docs/MERIMEEIA02002021.html

Olivier.

Hi Yeah, great stuff..and some good pictures too. I`ll have to brush up on my french though..

cheers,

David

hi david

Ive got some shots of the present day site if i can lay my hands on then,not sure where they are at the moment. was down there last year with my son in law (Iain mchenry), we found one of the gallery,s under the hill very interesting, ill see what i can find

roger (ex d&d)

Hi Roger, Thanks alot for your help..i`ll send you a personel message with my email if you want to scan them and send them on to me in Private.

Cheers

David (Exeter born & bred, now living in Denmark)

The www.achrive.org is excellent...trying searching on trench...manuals on trenchwarefare......etc great source of reference material
Hi mate, yeah good site..called www.archive.org...you can download books on Machine Gun Tactics/Trench warfare (canadian & american books) warfare and all sorts of other stuff..

Cheers mate,

Dave

• 1 month later...
Hi, Does anyone have any "then and now" photos of the Bois de Buttes area of France..I am interested in the area where the 2nd Devons were virtually wiped out on 27th May 1918. Any other old photos of the Devons during WWI would also have interest.

Cheers,

David (grandson of bois de buttes survivor)

hello david ,

just seen your post , i have been researching my grandfaher ernest coles of the 2nd devonshires , we believe that he was also one of the few survivors off bois de buttes , having enlisted in 1910 , he later went on to be awarded the MM for his acts on october 10th 1918 .

he is listed on a memorial service program which took place in quetta, india 27 may 1920

if you have any details on him i would be gratefull , also if your grandfather served further with ernest .

regards

dean