Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pollock & Haynes Medal

PJF

I'm doing some research on a soldier who was awarded the Pollock medal, R.M. Academy, woolwich 1906 and the Haynes Medal, R.E. 1909. Can anyone tell me more about these medals or point me in the right direction for further infomation.

Thanks

As far as I am aware the Haynes Memorial medal was awarded to the most outstanding Sapper in his particular batch of recruits, for his field work. The award was made by the Commandant of the RE Barracks - I presume this was always at Brompton Barracks? The RE Museum at Gillingham would be able to confirm this.

During 1916 this medal was awarded to Harold Fifield Greenhalgh, formerly Headmaster of Rainham (Kent) Council Schools, who was later commissioned into the RAOC and died from a shell burst at his post at Poperinghe Railhead, 9 April 1918. If by any remote chance, his family members are reading this - I would be interested in finding out more about this man.

Signals is right about the Haynes Medal. It was awarded to the recruit who came top of his field works course. It was instituted in the mid 1890's by the friends and colleagues of a Lt Haynes who was killed on campaign service.

I have an article giving the details somewhere. If I can find it I will be happy to send you the details.

Terry Reeves