Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

B.E.F.(NON TECHNICAL)

Keith Woodland

Having found my ancestors record I am now left with more questions than answers. This one is what is theB.E.F. (NON TECHNICAL) which he is shown being posted to on 4 Jun 1918 after just over three months in the 18th Battalion Tank Corps? I can guess at British Expeditionary force, which leads me back to France but what did they do, who were they etc? He went out in June 1915 as an infantryman and was wounded at least once and I believe he may have been transferred to the Tank Corps as opposed to volunteering. On another part of his record it states rank Private/Gunner so perhaps he was trained as a Tank gunner but it would appear he may never have seen action in a Tank. Any help as always much appreciated.

Keith,

Maybe you can post the entries for knowledgable pals to comment on? Meantime B E F is indeed the British Expeditionary Force, but why "Non-Technical" I can only guess at. Maybe it inferrred he was for a combat role rather than posted as a technician, but that is my speculation.

Ian

Keith,

Maybe you can post the entries for knowledgable pals to comment on? Meantime B E F is indeed the British Expeditionary Force, but why "Non-Technical" I can only guess at. Maybe it inferrred he was for a combat role rather than posted as a technician, but that is my speculation.

Ian

All it gives is a date, posted by o/c 18th Tank Battalion and posted to B.E.F.(Non Technical). He also moved from Wareham to Bovington Camp, a distance of about 5 miles for anyone who hasnt been. Bovington was my first posting so we have something ibn common, all be it 45 years apart.