Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Royal Scots Fusiliers War Diary

Swally

Guys,

I am looking for the War Diary off the 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers at the Battle of Ancres

My great uncle was posted missing December 1916 in the local press when he served with the 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers , so allowing for the delay in news comiming from the frony it is possible he served in this offensive.

Ta,

Swally

Andy,

thanks for the reply.

The National Archives site must be the most user unfriendly site I have ever seen to be honest.

I am no further forward in my search, all I know is they have diaries but do they have the one I am after?

cheers,

Swally

DocumentsOnline

5th one down for November 1916. £3.50 to download.

My great uncle was posted missing December 1916 in the local press when he served with the 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers , so allowing for the delay in news comiming from the frony it is possible he served in this offensive.

My suggestion of 1st RSF wasn't so much based on the time delay (which does indeed fit) but more on the actual newspaper report that states he was missing since 15th November, which ties in with the Battle of the Ancre, 13-18th November 1916.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart,

That's great pal I have just downloaded it and am busy trying to read it.

Do you think I would be breaching copyright or offending anyone if I transcribed it and put it on the forum?

I am sure that there are many more guys out there who would be interested in this bit of history without having to pay £3.50 for it.

Ta,

Swally

Hi Swally,

Glad to be of help. Posting a transcription of the war diary is not a breach of copyright, that only applies to publishing images of the war diary pages - so type away. Does the diary fit with his story so far?

Stuart

Stuart,

Trenches (Serre Sector)

13/11/1916 Battalion forming with the 2nd Royal Scots on its right the front line of the 8th Brigade moved into assembly positions in front of Rob Roy trench at 5 a.m. At 5.45 a.m.(Zero Hour) the intensive bombardment began and continued for 5 minutes during which the assaulting line (“A” & “B” Coys) moved forward to within 30ft of German line. These two Coys crossed the German front line with but little opposition and penetrated to enemy’s second line, where they were held up by uncut wire behind his Parados. All dugouts in

Front and second line were bombed.

Owing to the fog, the trench was lost with the troops on the left and right and with supporting troops and as there was danger of being surrounded and cut off the officers commanding “A” & “B” companies decided to withdraw to our own front line. The German front line was untainable due to mud. Situation was reported to 8th Brigade at 8.35 a.m. All units received orders to reform in their original areas and report strength. After re-orginisaton in Rob Roy

Company strengths are as follows – “A” 32, “B” 6, “C” 24, “D”10 “Spec” 25. Portions of “A” & “B” companies appeared to have been taken prisoners. Attack was only partially successful the chief cause of failure to maintain our hold in the enemy’s line were thick fog and mud.

For the remainder of the day Enemy’s barrage was exceptionally heavy, much of Rob Roy been blown in.

Total Casualties – Officers:-

Killed Wounded

Lieut H.C.Shatt Captain W.C.Fraser

2nd Lieut J.A. Strange

2nd Lieut H. Garvan

2nd Lieut J. E Dalrymple - Hay

Other Ranks

Killed 21, Died of Wounds 2, Wounded 93, Missing 83, Wounded & Missing 2.

Total 201

This extract is from the Diary from the 13th of November 1916, there is no mention of them loosing any further men until the 18th. I presume that they waited a few days before they officially reported him missing, now whether he was one of the "Missing" or "Wounded and missing I don't know but it certainly fits with the story I have so far.

What do you think?

I have managed to transpose the Diary for November 1916 but it is hard work and sore on the auld eyes.

I have from July till October to do and then I'll put it on the Forum

Regards,

Swally

Swally

• 9 years later...

Hi Swally,

Thank you for the transcript. I’m in the process of hunting down a few war diaries. Given some of the handwriting, it’s not an easy task! 

My relative died April 1918 France with the 1st Battalion RSF.

Did you transcribe more of the document? I’d be so interested to read it before I purchase it. I have an ancestry subscription but it requires page by page download. Arduous! 

Kindest regards, 

Ann

Hi Ann,

You can always download the war diaries from the National Archives for a small fee HERE, which may be easier.

William