The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German graves in CWGC Cemeteries

Bob H

Many of the CWGC Cemeteries in France & Belgium have other nationals besides the Commonwealth graves. The CWGC site only lists these commonwealth casualties, where can I find details for these other graves.

Regards

Bob

Bob,

There is no listing, sometime you have the names in the CWGC books in the cemeteries.

Have also a look in the German website, but the data base is very incomplete

http://www.weltkriegsopfer.de/Opfer-Krieg-...iste_Suche.html

Choose the country in the -Land whälen -

Regards.

Pierre

Bob,

My Uncle is remembered on the Arras Memorial.

Within the Cemetery lies a German Soldier.

I,would prefer,after 90 years,that my Uncle and the German Soldier,lay together,rather than the separation of a Panel,and a Grave.

George

Hi,

I see my link seams to be eaten. Here is the grave of Willy Sasse.

Fritz

post-12337-1237150520.jpg

At Essex Farm Cem the graves of an unknown British soldier and an unknown German soldier lay side by side.

Very poignant

liam

At Villers-Faucon Comm Cem and Extn there are many German graves generally quite intermingled with British graves. Indeed, the grave of 2nd Lieut Hardy E Parsons VC of the Gloucester Regiment is back to back with a German Grave.

In this cemetery the German Graves have a pointed top whereas elsewhere they commonly have a flat top.

BernardP

Fritz

Willy Sasse's headstone is in poor condition. Is maintenance or replacement a responsibility of the German authorities? I'm sure this issue has been covered in another topic on the Forum, but I can't recall its whereabouts.

Cheers

Chris

Yes Chris, it looks bad like this other one of Musketier Ernst Meyer, I.R. 163 in Warlincourt-Halte British Cemetery near Saulty. But I also don´t know who is has to take care for the German graves.

Fritz

post-12337-1237302132.jpg

According to the grave of my Grandfather, buried on CWGC premises, all care on CWGC grounds is the sole responsibility of CWGC. The VdK reimburses than their partner organisation in the UK.

I suggest to report the grave to CWGC and remind them for proper caretaking.