Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th (Service) Bn South Staffs Regt

bobshaw

I am posting the attached photo just on the off chance some one may recognise the two soldiers.

Possible locations - Grantham, Frensham or "Bourley Camp".

On the reverse it only says "To Ada" which was my grandmothers name.

Bob

post-42327-1237125136.jpg

post-42327-1237125150.jpg

Bob, any chance you could do a zoomed-in version of the young chap on the left? One of my family served with the battalion at that time and his mum was named Ada. I have never seen a photo of him so may not be able to tell anyway - just hoping for a family resemblance.

Bob, any chance you could do a zoomed-in version of the young chap on the left? One of my family served with the battalion at that time and his mum was named Ada. I have never seen a photo of him so may not be able to tell anyway - just hoping for a family resemblance.

Hi Chris,

Here is an attempt to zoom in on the two photo's, if you need them any bigger please let me know. Hope it does help as they were with the personal papers from my grandmother.

Bob

post-42327-1237143586.jpg

Chris..........Second photo.

Bob

post-42327-1237143863.jpg

Here is another close up.

post-42327-1237144362.jpg

And he ain't wearing a South Staffs badge. Neither's the chap on his own in the other picture.

ASC?

And he ain't wearing a South Staffs badge. Neither's the chap on his own in the other picture.

ASC?

Hi Steven, thanks for your reply, I don't know how you managed to recognise the badge, to me it's too indistinct - do you think it might be the Notts & Derby ?

Have you any idea what the white "Lanyard" might denote ?

Bob

Bob

It's not Notts and Derby

Mike

Bob

It's not Notts and Derby

Mike

Thanks Mike, it was just another thought - as folks must be able to something I am missing. It seems the photo's are going to be a mystery - why were they sent home and from where. My grandfather and his brother-in-law were both in the South Staffs and my GF was transferred to the N & D's, there does not seem to be any other reason for the photo's.

Bob

The photo would be right for Belton by Grantham as they spent the time there in tents. many of the men had these photos taken outside 'their' tent with pals. What was his name? He could have been ASC as part of 11th Div and transfered. The ASC train did not go to gallipoli with the 11th Div.

steve m

The photo would be right for Belton by Grantham as they spent the time there in tents. many of the men had these photos taken outside 'their' tent with pals. What was his name? He could have been ASC as part of 11th Div and transfered. The ASC train did not go to gallipoli with the 11th Div.

steve m

Hi Steve,

Your answer regarding Belton might be right, although I still have no idea who they are, and why my grandfather had them,

The other problem now seems to be that fellow Pals do not recognise the badges as being S.Staffs or Notts & Derby.

My grandfather was Leonard Newitt, Pte 15092 on enlisting in Oct 1914 he went to Lichfield to join the 7th S.Staffs. I know he went to Gallipoli on Jul 1st 1915, he was in "B" Company.

In May 1916, he went back to France ( 1st Bn S.Staffs) and was involved with the attack on Mametz, (1 Jul 1916) where he was wounded first time, after his recovery he was transferred to the Sherwood Foresters on 12 Jul 1916. (new number 73025).

The other person who I thought they might have been longed to was my grandmothers brother, Leonards Brother-in-Law who also was in the South Staffs:

Ernest Clarence Phillips Pte. 9176. 2nd Bn S.Staffs - he went to France and was killed at Givenchy on the 10 Mar 1915, he was never found, no grave only a Memorial at LE TOURET.

So if you know where the 2nd Bn were located in 1914/15, maybe the photo's were Ernest's and not Leonard's.

I think the badges are Army Service Corps.

Could I suggest you start another thread, with the same pictures, but put it in soldiers with a title asking for help identifying the unit? The heading here would attract fewer people to help, as the assumption is we already know the answer, which (it transpires) we don't.

The badges are definitely nor S Staffs or Notts and Derby, so any assumption about the blokes in the picture is out of the window, I'm afraid.

I think the badges are Army Service Corps.

Could I suggest you start another thread, with the same pictures, but put it in soldiers with a title asking for help identifying the unit? The heading here would attract fewer people to help, as the assumption is we already know the answer, which (it transpires) we don't.

The badges are definitely nor S Staffs or Notts and Derby, so any assumption about the blokes in the picture is out of the window, I'm afraid.

Thanks Steve, I am always open to suggestions. You think the badges could be ASC, which leads to another question - would these Units be in the same training Camp as other Regiments or did the Regiments have their own dedicated Camps?

Bob

The 70000 seried are a nightmare!

The 9th Bn have 73024 and 73037. Sadly I do not know when either of them transferred to the 9th Bn.

The 2nd South Staffs, 6th Brigade, 2nd Div.

He was killed in the attack on enemy lines north west of Givenchy. Casualties were 137.

From January to March they seem to have been around the Le Touret - Festubert area. Jan - Feb billeted in Le Touret.

It is of course possible that the photos are of one of their set of pals and not them. Or even other relatives.

Steve M

The 70000 seried are a nightmare!

The 9th Bn have 73024 and 73037. Sadly I do not know when either of them transferred to the 9th Bn.

The 2nd South Staffs, 6th Brigade, 2nd Div.

He was killed in the attack on enemy lines north west of Givenchy. Casualties were 137.

From January to March they seem to have been around the Le Touret - Festubert area. Jan - Feb billeted in Le Touret.

It is of course possible that the photos are of one of their set of pals and not them. Or even other relatives.

Steve M

Thanks Steve, you have been a great help. Your comment saying "He was killed in the attack on enemy lines north west of Givenchy" I find interesting do you have Ernest C Phillips listed by name or is this based on where the Regiment was on that day?

The photographs I think will have to remain a mystery, as far as I know they do not appear to be a relative - so as you say maybe they are pals.

Bob

Thanks Steve, you have been a great help. Your comment saying "He was killed in the attack on enemy lines north west of Givenchy" I find interesting do you have Ernest C Phillips listed by name or is this based on where the Regiment was on that day?

Bob

It should have been 'probably' -sorry bad grammar again! When I was doing a project some years ago I delved into that area of the front. My notes on 2nd South Staffs mentioned that 'B' Company attacked in front of the Duck's Bill. They came under heavy crossfire as did the other companies who followed 'B' Company. The heavy casualties amounted to 137 all ranks, killed , wounded or missing in action. Four of the junior officers were killed.

steve

It should have been 'probably' -sorry bad grammar again!

And this man has written a book!