Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can we identify this officer?

Chris_Baker

This man may be named Hunter.

What is that ribbon? Does it help identify him?

Might be an uphill struggle - Royal Engineers officer with a Queen's South Africa Medal and no King's South Africa; suggesting not long enough in SA to qualify for the KSA. If he was an officer then he might be traceable; if a commissioned ranker tougher. And haven't the RE Museum published a medal roll recently that includes the South African medals?

Might be an uphill struggle - Royal Engineers officer with a Queen's South Africa Medal and no King's South Africa; suggesting not long enough in SA to qualify for the KSA. If he was an officer then he might be traceable; if a commissioned ranker tougher. And haven't the RE Museum published a medal roll recently that includes the South African medals?

I know what you mean, but that's not entirely true as he could have an 1901 and/or 1902 clasp to his QSA.

There is indeed a Roll of RE QSAs - I think TNA have a copy in the library, Chris

Why not true? There was an absolute qualification for the KSA - 18 months prior service, and still serving in 1902. So if you arrived in late 1900 (or even 1901) the QSA for you, with the date bar/s if you served in 01 and or 02, but no KSA. I wasn't suggesting that he didn't serve in 01 or 02 - sorry if that was impression given.

Maj C G W Hunter?

Image details

Description Medal card of Hunter, C G W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers Brevet Lieutenant Colonel /Temporary Lieutenant Colonel

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/24

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Mentions in Despatches, Meritorious Service Medals and Territorial Force Efficiency Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Hi,

From the Army List.

This was the only Hunter I could find in the pre war lists for Royal Engineers.

Regards Mark

Army List Sept 1898

Royal Engineers

Lieutenant Hunter, C G W Punjab 25 July 93

Army List April 1900

Royal Engineers

Lieutenant Hunter, C G W India 25 July 93

Army List Jan 1906

Royal Engineers

Captain Hunter, C G W (on staff, War Office 2 Aug 04) 21 May 01

Army List June 1911

Royal Engineers

Major Hunter, C G W Longmoor Camp 25 July 1910

Army List Aug 1914

Royal Engineers

Major Hunter, C G W Quetta 25 July 1910

Why not true? ... I wasn't suggesting that he didn't serve in 01 or 02 - sorry if that was impression given.

That's what I thought you were suggesting. I see it wasn't the case, however. Think Chris has his answer!

BRIG.-GEN. CHARLES GEORGE WOODBURN HUNTER: C.M.G. 1918; D.S.O. 1915; late R.E.; b. Dec. 21, 1871; entered Army, 1890; Captain, 1901; Major 1910; special service China, 1900; Somaliland Field Force, 1903-04; General Staff Officer, 3rd Grade, Headquarters, 1904-09; served Tirah, 1897-98 (medal with clasp); China, 1900 (despatches, medal); Somaliland, 1903-04 (medal 2 clasps); European War 1914-18 (despatches five times, Bt. Lt.-Col. and Col., D.S.O., for Neuve Chapelle, C.M.G., French Legion of Honour, Serbian White Eagle); retired, 1923. Club: Junior United Service.

Hi Guys,

Theres no C.G.W. Hunter on the Q.S.A. medal roll for R.E.

6 Sappers and 1 Corporal named Hunter entitled to Q.S.A. only and Major A.G.Hunter-Weston but i think he'd be to old for that photo. (Google image search)

Steve.

Thank you, Steve. If you have that roll could you let me know the names/numbers and I'll see if I can follow them through to being commissioned.

If C.G.W.Hunter entered the army as early as 1890 I would have thought the man pictured is too young to be him. Sounds an interesting bloke, though!

Hello Chris,

Dont think i've posted enough for a pm so heres the list-

Hunter A. Spr 8366

Hunter F. Spr 9106

Hunter F. Cpl 22951

Hunter F. Spr 5216

Hunter G. Spr 8512

Hunter James. Spr 6161

Hunter W.J. Spr 2975

The following entitled to Q.S.A. and K.S.A.

Hunter E.A. Spr 4355

Hunter R. Spr 4701

Hope this helps!

Steve.

Hunter, James 6161 and Hunter, W.J. 2975 both died in Africa so not them...

If C.G.W.Hunter entered the army as early as 1890 I would have thought the man pictured is too young to be him.

And already had too many medals in 1914. He certainly got around a bit, living up to Ubique!

There is a further problem: he might have qualified for the QSA with a unit other than the RE!