Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte William Thomas Wilkins

Linda Dubber

Someone on here called Stuart Lawton made a post in 2006 about Pte William Thomas Wilkins and said he was related to him on his father's side. I am also related to William, he was my great great uncle on MY father's side. He is commemorated on the Menin Gate in Ypres and we recently visited the area. He died on 22 April 1915 and we assume he was killed during the gas attack on that date. He was aged 19 and in the Middlesex Regiment. If Stuart or anyone else has any further information on William, or requires any family background for family tree or whatever, please contact me. Thanks.

Hi Linda

Welcome to the forum, I have sent a personal message to Stuart Lawton for you. He last posted on GWF at 2.22p.m. 8.3.09

Regards Barry

Hi Linda

Welcome to the forum, I have sent a personal message to Stuart Lawton for you. He last posted on GWF at 2.22p.m. 8.3.09

Regards Barry

Thank you very much. I tried to click on "members" but it won't let me, as I wanted to send him a personal message myself!

Hi Linda,

Tried to Pm you but got this message:

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger."

William's mother Kate Alice Woodworth was the sister of my great grandmother Mary Catherine Rogers Woodworth (b1856 Stepney). Mary married Nathan Arthur Green in 1875 at Stepney. Their daughter Emma Annie Green b1888 Mile End married Herbert Lawton in 1913 at Watford, Herts.

William landed in France on 01 Jan 1915 and was reported "Missing in Action" on 22 Apr 1915. I'm hoping William's service record has survived and will be put on Ancestry soon.

Mary's son Nathan Arthur Green Jnr was a regular in the 3rd Bn, Middlesex Regiment having enlisted in 1910. He was serving in India when WW1 broke out and landed in France with the Bn on 18 Jan 1915. He ended up a Sergeant and was "Killed in Action" on 04 Apr 1918 in Salonica. Mary's youngest son Walter Ernest was "Killed in Action" on 01 Jul 1916 while serving with the 8th Bn, East Surrey Regiment at the Battle of the Somme.

Regards,

Stu

Hi Stuart

I haven't disabled private messages - perhaps it takes a while to be able to use them as I've only just joined??

Anyway, William was the brother of my great grandmother Harriet Ada Wilkins. So I think that makes your great grandmother an aunt to my great grandmother? I've only been able to glean a few things, mainly through CWGC, but it does appear that he actually died on 22 April 1915. I'm keen to see if his name appears in this new archive found by the Red Cross, so we may know exactly where he was buried. My 15 year old son is very interested in both world wars and he has been twice to Ypres in the last year. We went with him in January and managed to place a poppy on the Menin Gate panel next to William's name. We also took some pictures. I presume you've been?

My email address is linda.dubber@dmcager.com if you wish to contact further and we can stop spamming the board with our chat. Hopefully my private messages will work eventually! Thanks for your information.

Regards Linda.